What goes with Sweet Potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Difference

Does someone know what the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? Don't they both taste the same? They sure look the same. Thanks

Actually, pastalover15, I wasn't referring to any kind of sweet potato dressing per se. What I meant was that I combine any one or a combination of the other ingredients I mentioned with sweet potatoes to make a nice side dish.

For example, you could mix crushed or chunk pineapple, drained, with some brown sugar and the sweet potatoes. Or you could alternate slices of Granny Smith apples with slices of sweet potatoes, drizzle with honey and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.

You get the idea. Sweet potatoes are wonderful when married with apples, oranges, etc. Just let your imagination and taste buds be your guide.

Katie

In the Kitchen said:
Does someone know what the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? Don't they both taste the same? They sure look the same. Thanks

a true yam is NOT the same as a sweet potato, although they are both root vegetables.
I've been puzzling over this for 25 years, because here in the markets you can find :
  • Yam
  • Sweet potato ( orange and white versions)
  • Apio ( a native root veg with a taste between celery, swede and sweet potato)
  • Yuca (Cassava or manioc root)
  • Ocumo ( Basically a type of Taro root: there is native ocumo and Chinese ocumo.)
No problem here; all of these are used in the traditional chicken, fish or meat "Sancochos" - something like a soup. We use Yuca to accompany BBQ'd meat. You can grate the ocumo and make some delicious little fritters.

Hi there, first post :)

What can I serve with sweet potato, bacon and feta cheese? I was thinking maybe something like pasta or rice?
I have only started cooking for myself within the last month. I had found a recipe for sweet potato and bacon, but I had altered it because I didn't like the way the recipe was and I enjoy doing my own thing with cooking.

Hi there, first post :)

What can I serve with sweet potato, bacon and feta cheese? I was thinking maybe something like pasta or rice?
I have only started cooking for myself within the last month. I had found a recipe for sweet potato and bacon, but I had altered it because I didn't like the way the recipe was and I enjoy doing my own thing with cooking.
Welcome to DC!

Since sweet potato is a starch, I wouldn't serve it with another starch like pasta or rice.

How about ham? it goes well with sweet potato.

Welcome to DC!

Since sweet potato is a starch, I wouldn't serve it with another starch like pasta or rice.

How about ham? it goes well with sweet potato.

Is it really a starch? I have heard that it isn't...?
Would the ham not conflict with the bacon in the combination?
Is ham sweet in any way? I have made a whole dish of the sweet potato, bacon and feta cheese and ate all of it. I found that it was very sweet (I did add sugar).

Sweet Potato Fries are very popular these days. You can cut up the potatoes, coat them in olive oil, put them on a baking sheet with salt and pepper and you have sweet potato fries without deep-frying.

I would not eat sweet potatoes until I was 60 years old. Before that, the only ones I had seen served were candied sweet potatoes around the holidays. Since I do not like a sweet taste I never liked them. Finally, I saw them on a menu, baked, and loved them. My family still likes them candied for the holidays, but I stick with plain for myself. I think they are sweet enough the way they grow.

Try Googling: "Is sweet potato a starch?" and make your own decision. Consensus is that it is.

This is one of my favorites. I use quinoa instead of bulgar. It works well as a side and as a room-temperature salad.

Recipe Details

Grated frozen ginger and raisins work well for a twice-baked sweet potato. You want to pull them out of the oven before they get soft so the skin holds its shape.

I often bake them like potatoes and eat them with S&P, butter. Or, grated ginger and fresh thyme with a bit of butter.

Last edited:
If the actual recipe is for sweet potatoes with bacon and feta (which sounds really good) I would leave out the sugar, add some green onion and serve it along side salad greens (berries optional) with almonds or sunflower seeds tossed in and a light vinegarette dressing.

The hubby and I use sweet potatoes as a starch. :)

Sweet Potato Fries are very popular these days. You can cut up the potatoes, coat them in olive oil, put them on a baking sheet with salt and pepper and you have sweet potato fries without deep-frying.

They sound lovely, thanks Carol :)

I have smashed baked sweet potatoes and made a biscuit dough, then added diced ham, bacon, green onion and shredded extra sharp cheddar – then added extra water so that I had a dumpling dough, that I then dropped by the ½ teaspoon into a pot of Vegetable soup ( soup contained NO meat at all). It’s very versatile as I have also used in Pork roast soup, turkey soup, pumpkin soup, and a fish stew. lol I have also used this dough as a crust for pot pies, spicy fruit pies, and muffins as well. This is beautiful way to use holiday leftovers; fantastic as muffins to go with a pork stew. Added sugar if desired – brown or white – stay away from confectioners as this weakens the dough like you added a cup of water mid-cooking. I have replaced the water with fruit juice (apple & pineapple) during mixing for muffins, just to kick it up as a breakfast food.

Dough recipe –
3 med baked sweet potato – smashed with nothing added
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ C melted & cooled butter
¼ C milk

Just enough water to form the type of dough for the desired need (dumplings or biscuits and CHILL for use as pie crust of course :)

Oven 350 / cook time 15 – 20 minutes for biscuits and muffins or until golden, for dumplings, just like any other dumpling.

i was wondering what goes well with sweet potatoes - meat wise, veggie wise and cheese wise? thanks =)
I like brie with my baked-in-their-jacket sweet potatoes.

SP and butternut squash go well in soup or for a roast veg combo SPs, butternut squash, red onions, bell peppers and garlic

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom