"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #21
Executive Chef

There is a lot of variety out there in people, the foods they eat and the ways they prepare them. But a well prepared meal, fancy or plain, served in an inviting and hospitable atmosphere is a creative endeavor and an offering of oneself worthy of comparison to any art. It feeds the heart and soul, and if the company is good, the mind too.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have learned that friends really can be made on the internet. Some of the recipes posted on this site have become a Thanksgiving tradition. There are some very talented people here who jump at the chance to help someone and that really doesn't happen on very many cooking sites.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #23
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
In a (very big) nutshell, I've learned that DC is a one stop shopping for all things culinary! Cookware, utensils, recipes, styles, and countless other topics are all addressed here somewhere or other, and are typically fairly recent with information.

The relationships developed here, even though they are over the internet, are strong and true. We're all here to help each other out however we can. Sometimes it is humor, sometimes it is in panic, sometimes just looking for ideas for recipes, or like me, looking for information and wisdom in consideration and attempt to start my own culinary business. We're all at different places in our lives, both personally and professionally. Some are youngsters just starting college with little to no cooking experience, let alone "culinary" experience (if there truly is a difference), while we have many a member actively involved in their own business that has been successful for many years. And everywhere in between.

Truth be told, I joined a couple other cooking/culinary forums at the same time I joined DC. I've not visited the others because they pale in comparison to the warm, welcoming environment here!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
that nice people still exsist,and are willing to befriend you...
also some great recipes too! :)
Old 02-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd like to add, that one of the reasons, DC is the way it is, is because of people like our Kitchenelf, who spent a great deal of time, making and keeping it this way..And, the administraters, site helpers, and moderators who watch over us all.. And you yourselves for being kind, polite, and
helpful no matter what.

Thank you guys and gals
kadesma

kadesma
Old 02-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #26
Sous Chef

You are so right, kadesma - and everyone else who also mentioned how nice the people are here. I honestly didn't think there was really anyplace this nice on the web - whereever else I looked I found that there was always a catch, or that the people just couldn't behave themselves nicely. Thank you to everyone for making this site so good!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #27
Master Chef

i've learned plenty of different, various things, little things, & like they say, it's the little things that matter.
i self-educate as many of us do, i mean, look at the menus some of our members develop on thier own... they're lovely restaurant-esque menus- 1 person in particular that i can think of, you'd think she owned a great upper-class restaurant.
now that i'm in school, it's great, though i'm learning a million things more than i knew! whew, it is very intense & i can say i love it!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
I'd like to add, that one of the reasons, DC is the way it is, is because of people like our Kitchenelf, who spent a great deal of time, making and keeping it this way..
kadesma
Kitchenelf was the one that created all the "Specific chat and Recipes" forums and had alot of other ideas if I remember right. DiscussCooking would not be what it is today without the Kitchenelf's help - trust me. I am so grateful and have learned so much from her. I have made a handful of life-long friends here, and learned way to many things to list. Thank you Kitchenelf for all you have done - logging hundreds of hours here and helping DC evolve into a fun and safe place to hang out!

Here is a glimpse into the past lol, check out what discusscooking looked like way back in the day and how far we have come along.

www.Discusscooking.com
Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks kadesma and MJ - that was a nice recognition.

I also remember when the old website owner decided to go down to ONE forum. EVERYTHING was posted in one forum. Then he asked what forums should be added then ALL of the posts had to be put in their specific forums - my husband almost divorced me - I know I logged at least 9 - 12 hours a day on here - things are looking good now! Nice job guys! I laughed when I said we needed an Ethnic Foods forum and started listing all the different ethnicities. He said Italian shouldn't be there - it's not an ethnic food - I fought for it to be there and finally he gave in. LOL Yep, those were the days.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #30
Executive Chef

MJ, what an amazing difference. I can see why the site has grown so popular. One thing I really appreciate is that there is something here for everyone, no matter whether it is beginning cooking or some of us who have been doing it for years, someone who cooks mostly simply (like me) or someone like kadesma (and others) whose recipes and menus make our mouths water. I've found some really good stuff here and appreciate all who make it possible.