What Have You Learned From DiscussCooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
I learned that "Barkeepers Friend" is the best thing to use to clean All-Clad Stainless Steel Cookware (also recommended)...so of course I went right out and bought a whole set of All-Clad pans to go with my "Barkeepers Friend". It's been 2 years and I've never regretted it. Love them. And NO one touches them but me! :angry:

Last edited:
:LOL: OMG. I just noticed your avatar, Elizabeth :LOL:

I learned that for every person who starts a thread to ask a question about a common item, for instance; "What is the best way to use up extra cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup that I bought on sale?", there are six telling them that they should make their own from scratch and they would never eat condensed soups in anything. :angel:
Fortunately there are lots more folks giving them great suggestions :chef:

How many of you will admit you Clicked anyway. I did. I stayed right here. Maybe that's what it means about sticking around in DC. :LOL: :cool:

It is indeed the members who are the most valuable part of DC. Recipes are nice. Advice, critiques, and even pictures ( from those who have cameras) are nice too. As a support, stepping up to the plate by simply offering welcomes to new members, contributing birthday greetings or words of encouragement are the best signs of a healthy positive group.

It doesn't hurt that the DC Search Function is pretty close to perfect as well.

I've learned a lot of things here at DC, some good, some...well, interesting anyway.
1. Patience with people who feel like they have to give you advice instead of answering your questions (see pacanis's post above)
2. That most people here are awesome and good hearted and genuinely care about each other.
3. Lots of stuff about smoking, Qing and grilling.
4. That I have a lemon problem. :LOL:
5. Crockpots are not my favorite appliance.
6. How to correctly season CI and to use it for almost everything!
7. That there are cooking terms that mean sexual things and to use the Urban dictionary!

Oh yeah... I had forgotten about the "salad" thread...
Why do people need to bring up such things? I don't need to round my intelligence off in that direction, lol. But yeah, amazing what you can pick up here.

I think the biggest thing about DC for me is summed up by a line from The Eagle's "Hotel California" - "You can check out any time you want but you can never leave"! :LOL: I have tried shutting it down several times but I always log in again at some point. And that is a good thing, a testament to the relationship we all have here.

Yes, there are the times when you ask yourself "why did I mention that" when you get a lot of free advice or even when you think you said something great and no one replies.

But these (and what others have already mentioned here) are all things you get in a family. And here you always get good food! :)

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing about DC for me is summed up by a line from The Eagle's "Hotel California" - "You can check out any time you want but you can never leave"! :LOL: I have tried shutting it down several times but I always log in again at some point. And that is a good thing, a testament to the relationship we all have here.

Yes, there are the times when you ask yourself "why did I mention that" when you get a lot of free advice or even when you think you said something great and no one replies.

But these (and what others have already mentioned here) are all things you get in a family. And here you always get good food! :)

I couldn't have said it better myself!
I also get horribly dissapointed when I start a thread or make what I think is a great post and no one seems to be interrested lol!
Then I wonder why the heck I care so much but as you said, DC is like a family.
I often find myself caring more about what you guys think than about what my family thinks :LOL:

I don't know how much I've learned from reading DC. I have, but I've learned a lot more in the process of fact checking my own responses or justifying an answer that I "knew" but couldn't back up without some study. And I suspect I've learned as much from tangents I encountered while researching an answer. One of those tangents taught me how to make perfect mashed potatoes and the chemical and physical reasons why the method works. I wasn't looking for anything about potatoes, but there it was.

I've learned about the letter K:

KD = Macaroni and cheese in a blue box
KA = More powerful than a locomotive, able to beat tall peaks in a single ... ;)

After meeting so many of you, I have learned that you people really do exist outside of my computer monitor! :LOL:

I have learned to be more adventurous in my eating. For instance, after eating well-done steaks my whole life, I now eat them medium-rare. I also tried sushi and love it.

After meeting so many of you, I have learned that you people really do exist outside of my computer monitor! :LOL:

I have learned to be more adventurous in my eating. For instance, after eating well-done steaks my whole life, I now eat them medium-rare. I also tried sushi and love it.

I don't exist Barbara, I'm just a figment of your imagination. In fact, you're dreaming right now and when I snap my fingers you'll wake up and realise your a chicken and start clucking profusely.

I've learned that anything can be fixed with bacon or cheese or both lol! If all else fails, starve you're guests and they will think you're the best cook ever!

Being a member of DC has introduced so many new appliances to my kitchen. It has also put me in touch with a lot of people who are as passionate about food as I am and helped me add depth of flavor to dishes I make (Steve K--do you use balsamic drizzle on your strawberries when you sprinkle them with balsamic vinegar--I'm definitely going to ratchet it up a notch next summer when strawberry season rolls around again.) But most importantly, I have also learned that a lot of DCers would really like to be chicken keepers! Who knew!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom