"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #111
Master Chef

I suppose Himself would clean up the dishes and cooktop if I insisted hard enough, but then I probably wouldn't be happy with the way he did it. Heck, I KNOW I wouldn't be happy! Sure I'd rather he did it, but sometimes ya gotta pick your battles. In 38+ years I think we're still even in the "who's winning" contest.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #112
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The only one that wins is the one not keeping score.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #113
Master Chef

What I learned today:
Frying ten pounds of thigh/drumsticks as chicken nuggets is a royal pain in the neck, and several other places too. Frying another ten pounds as hot nuggets (think hot wings, but cheaper) makes those same body parts say mean things about you. But all those bones and skins from d-boning the chicken makes a superb stock.

The things I do for a pot luck, and it's only for my co-workers, of which only one I'm friends with. But you know me. I can't just open a number 10 can of pork and beans and call it a night. I'm tired, and am only almost done. Hope they like it.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #114
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
What I learned today:
Frying ten pounds of thigh/drumsticks as chicken nuggets is a royal pain in the neck, and several other places too....
How low do you wear your neck?

Hope everyone raves about and loves your food. The effort certainly deserves it.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #115
Assistant Cook

Hi, I'm new here. I learned that one shouldn't mess too much with a recipe one knows little about. I'm famous for reading a recipe then closing the books and start cooking. But, this morning I mixed together (approximately - giggle) the ingredients for banana bread using a cake mix. I then added a package of chocolate chips, a can of crushed pineapple and some coconut. Straight out of the oven it was great. Cooled it is a big gelatinous mound of goo. I couldn't leave it alone hot. Cold I will have no trouble throwing it in the trash.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoogle View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I learned that one shouldn't mess too much with a recipe one knows little about. I'm famous for reading a recipe then closing the books and start cooking. But, this morning I mixed together (approximately - giggle) the ingredients for banana bread using a cake mix. I then added a package of chocolate chips, a can of crushed pineapple and some coconut. Straight out of the oven it was great. Cooled it is a big gelatinous mound of goo. I couldn't leave it alone hot. Cold I will have no trouble throwing it in the trash.
First things first. Welcome to DC. You are going to have lots of fun and laughs.

Remember, if it is a box, can or other container read the directions and adhere to them. After all it is their product and they know what it is supposed to do. They have a test kitchen at their facility. They have probably made every error in making the product deliberately. If only to know what the right way is to make it. Lesson learned.

Now start with Today's Funny on page one and get ready for some side splitting laughter. You will notice that the folks here love their pets. So if you have any, don't be shy in sharing stories about any adventures with them.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #117
Assistant Cook

Talking

So true, so true about using manufacturers instructions. But there are tons of books, websites, you name it, about how to make things for which the product was NOT intended. So, I thought I was going to invent a new one. NOT, LOL
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #118
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoogle View Post
Welcome bgoogle! I couldn't help but relate to your baking story, and I've been cooking a very long time. Sounds to me like you're the creative type and that's fine for a cook, but not for a baker, which is the exact reason why I don't bake. Well, I hardly ever bake although I can, but precise measurements and precise directions annoy me.
Anyway, you'll have a good time here as few among us are flawless ...
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Welcome bgoogle! I couldn't help but relate to your baking story, and I've been cooking a very long time. Sounds to me like you're the creative type and that's fine for a cook, but not for a baker, which is the exact reason why I don't bake. Well, I hardly ever bake although I can, but precise measurements and precise directions annoy me.
Anyway, you'll have a good time here as few among us are flawless ...
+++1. Well put, what Kayelle said goes for me too!

Welcome to DC!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #120
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
Today I learned my car has a cabin air filter, for the hvac system that should of been changed frequently depending on mileage and air quality in my area.[About once a year]. Since I have never had it replaced, my local oil change shop quoted me $65.00 for an ''Aftermarket'' installed. Not happy with the price I looked it up on the ''Net'' and found an ''Aftermarket'' was $4.95 and it had simple instructions on how to install it.I followed instructions and vacuumed duct. Whole procedure took about 20 mins. Hvac system has much more air flow and my wallet feels better.
I had a dealer try to sell me one and quoted me $90!!! As he was trying to sell it to me, I looked it up on Amazon on my phone, $8.95 shipped. I showed him the phone and he stopped trying to sell me stuff with my oil change. I also told him that I knew how to replace it myself and it takes all of 5 minutes. These places should be ashamed! Trying to charge $90 for something made out of cardboard and paper.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote