"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #141
Master Chef

Mad Cook, his Mom raised his right. Once the kids came along I stayed at home and spoiled him rotten. During his working years I ruined him terribly; now that he's home all time time I'm afraid he's broken. That old dog is not interested in relearning old tricks. Perhaps I'll feed him PB&J sandwiches until he pitches in.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #142
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to agree with you Mad Cook. All three of my boys can wield an iron as well as a cast iron pan. They know how to get grease off their hands as well as the dishes.

My youngest just recently bought himself a Euro Pro iron as he does all his own laundry (as well as the family's. His wife hates to iron (You are not alone Kylie) where he loves to do it. Finds it relaxing. Same as I do. They have a Rowenta with a large capacity. but it seemed he would iron just two shirts and would have to fill the iron up again. So the Euro Pro he bought like mine has a very large tank and he can do a weeks worth of shirts before he even bothers to take a look at how much water is in the tank.

Spike does all my vacuuming for me. And when I am not feeling well, will even do up the few dishes that may be in the sink. The Pirate when he comes to see me spends most of the time cleaning the cabinet fronts as well as the whole bathroom. I could follow him around, but it is much easier to yell from room to room. One is married. The other two? Well all I can say is that there are two women out there that are missing out on a good thing.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #143
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yep, mine is spoiled rotten too...I'll have to threaten him with lentils or garbanzos...
Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #144
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Mad Cook, his Mom raised his right. Once the kids came along I stayed at home and spoiled him rotten. During his working years I ruined him terribly; now that he's home all time time I'm afraid he's broken. That old dog is not interested in relearning old tricks. Perhaps I'll feed him PB&J sandwiches until he pitches in.
And don't forget the paper plates and plastic forks and knives. The real cheap ones. The ones that break half way through the meal and aren't big enough to hold a mouthful. And don't forget the disposable cups. Small ones. Two swallows and the cup is empty. I know all the tricks. Tell him you are trying to economize on dish washing products.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #145
Chef Extraordinaire

well said, maddie.

it's the reason why i suggest to all parents of college age kids to boot them out the door asap. but only if the kid gets to live on his or her own. not in a marriage or roommate situation. i know it worked for me when i was 21 or so. i left college for a career, and got my first apartment as soon as i could.

once a person lives alone for a few years, they learn what needs to be done, or else live in a pig sty; one in which they'd be ashamed to bring home a date. and that works equally for males and females. while i kind of knew how my male friends lived by seeing how they act in public, i've been shocked at how disgusting young women can be, as bad as the guys.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #146
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
well said, maddie.

it's the reason why i suggest to all parents of college age kids to boot them out the door asap. but only if the kid gets to live on his or her own. not in a marriage or roommate situation. i know it worked for me when i was 21 or so. i left college for a career, and got my first apartment as soon as i could.

once a person lives alone for a few years, they learn what needs to be done, or else live in a pig sty; one in which they'd be ashamed to bring home a date. and that works equally for males and females. while i kind of knew how my male friends lived by seeing how they act in public, i've been shocked at how disgusting young women can be, as bad as the guys.
Some of them even worse.

My daughter when she started her menses, (age 12) had a bad habit of leaving her dirty pads on the floor. No amount of yelling did any good. Until one day she was sitting out on the front steps with her friends. I took the dirty pad and went out to her holding it up high. "Did you forget something again?" I hated to do it. I knew it was something she would never forget. But it was the only way I could get through to her. I told her if she thought her male friends were disgusted seeing that, imagine how her brothers felt every time they went into the bathroom and saw that on the floor. Her friends were going to see it only once I hoped, but her brothers had to see it every month. She cleaned up her act and also started to keep her room clean. A bonus that I hadn't expected. Today she can't stand a mess in her home.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #147
Master Chef

TMI Addie!

Himself lived alone. Himself had a sainted mother who raised him right. He just got dirty rotten spoiled by me and now I'm reaping the fruit I've grown!

Wouldn't use paper/plastic plates, glasses, utensils - won't see that at my table because I do not like it. Heck, we usually have cloth napkins too because they are nicer and more cost-efficient than paper.

He has his own skill set. Break anything electronic or have something go wrong with a computer and he can fix it quickly and perfectly.

I think my problem is me. When he worked I had no idea when he'd be home. I cooked simpler, reheatable meals. I had everything cleaned up before he got home. Now that he's home all the time and I can time the dinner for when I want it (yeah...still running a late schedule, but at least we aren't eating after midnight) I'm making more complex meals and dirtying more tools. Plus all YOU guys post so many delicious looking foods and make so many excellent suggestions that YOU guys must be the real problem!

After tossing all these ideas around I think I'll go with simpler meals and fewer ingredients for a while. Need more propane for the grill. With less to clean up I'll probably end up with more help, you think? Updates eventually.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire

The main thing CG is, "If you are happy with your life and living with him the way he is, then go for it!" When I first got married, I would look at other husbands and think, 'I am so glad my husband isn't like that.' Then over the years it came to, 'Just like a man. My husband does the same thing.' Then more years passed and it became, "Why can't my husband be like that?' But there were more times that it was "I am so glad my husband isn't like that." He couldn't have been all that bad. After all he would hold the baby to my breast while I slept. Then change him and put him back to sleep. I once asked him why he put up with me. After all there were days when even I couldn't stand to be me. He gave me the perfect answer.

"You put up with all my foolishness and I put up with yours." Gee, I had never thought of him as being foolish.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #149
Master Chef

Oh we put up with each other! And I have just as many annoying little habits as he does. He just doesn't sit on the computer posting about it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #150
Senior Cook

I really have to give credit to the hubby in this area. He always helps out with cleaning up after a meal when I cook & he usually cleans up after he cooks, I don't clean up for his meals like he does for me.

I knew I was going to marry this man on our second date & by the time I went back to see his home I knew 110% that I found a keeper. I honestly thought he had a cleaning lady, his place was THAT clean!

I refuse to make the bed so when we do get to spend the night together I make sure I get up before him so he can make the bed. He hates it that I won't do it but that's my little quirk & he deals with it.

Where I slack, he's strong. Where he slacks, I pick up his slack.