"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #161
Everymom

Today I learned that my sister is safe from the freakish flooding in Southern Alberta. Whew! Shallow riverbeds + torrential downpour of 150mm or more of rain = scary floods.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #162
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Today I learned that my sister is safe from the freakish flooding in Southern Alberta. Whew! Shallow riverbeds + torrential downpour of 150mm or more of rain = scary floods.
So glad your sister is safe! You guys are having flooding up there, and down here we are so dry that we are burning up! There are so many fires right now! We really need things to even out.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #163
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Today I learned that my sister is safe from the freakish flooding in Southern Alberta...
Thanks for sharing good news Alix! Nothing better than to find out family (or friends) are OK. I finally heard from my hiker friend today - we had dropped him back at the trail nearly two weeks ago. Turns out his cellphone got so wet in the torrential rains he's been hiking in that it is now a dumb phone. No internet connection till he gets into a town.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #164
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I learned how fun it is to walk around with a purple wig and big red hat at work for the day. I'll get Shrek to take pictures tonight.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #165
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I learned that my suspicions were true and that some tradesman really are out to rip you off!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #166
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I learned how fun it is to walk around with a purple wig and big red hat at work for the day. I'll get Shrek to take pictures tonight.

Oh boy .. pictures !! Can't wait to see them
Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Today I learned that my suspicions were true and that some tradesman really are out to rip you off!
lol, they're called contractors here. and yes, 75% of them suck.

when you find a good one, offer him food, water, and praise at every chance, then refer him to everyone you knoew.

i learned today, after coaching 2 little league alll star games, that talented kids who break down and cry after a bad performance aren't served/helped in any way by pressure from their parents.
the pressure might be from usual expectations, or from the parents' embarrasment that their 9 or 10 year old "stud" is crying, but negative comments in any form at that age doesn't work. maybe even hurts.

i hope to be able to bridge a gap, in a way, and teach them that even though they sucked, there's another way to look st each crappy performance.

struck out? you went down swinging. you'll get another "ups". watch strike three, and need to be more aggresive at the plate, and move in crowding the plate.
own the inside, make the pitcher try to jam you. they usually can't and freak out.

ground out to first with no outs and a man on second that moves to third? productive out.

defensive error? hell, baseball is mind numbing between exciting plays. learn to concentrate next time because it drones on, lol.

that's all. baseball is great as a mataphor for life. there's just so many ways to spin a statistic and learn from it. spin is a perspective. what you do going forward with it is all that counts.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #168
Chef Extraordinaire

That is so true Tom!

We have a really good, reliable lawnmowing guy and he is certainly a keeper

I am thinking one of the handymen we had around for a quote the other day we may be keeping too and letting everyone know about him
Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #169
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...i learned today, after coaching 2 little league alll star games, that talented kids who break down and cry after a bad performance aren't served/helped in any way by pressure from their parents.
the pressure might be from usual expectations, or from the parents' embarrasment that their 9 or 10 year old "stud" is crying, but negative comments in any form at that age doesn't work. maybe even hurts.

i hope to be able to bridge a gap, in a way, and teach them that even though they sucked, there's another way to look st each crappy performance.

struck out? you went down swinging. you'll get another "ups". watch strike three, and need to be more aggresive at the plate, and move in crowding the plate.
own the inside, make the pitcher try to jam you. they usually can't and freak out.

ground out to first with no outs and a man on second that moves to third? productive out.

defensive error? hell, baseball is mind numbing between exciting plays. learn to concentrate next time because it drones on, lol.

that's all. baseball is great as a mataphor for life. there's just so many ways to spin a statistic and learn from it. spin is a perspective. what you do going forward with it is all that counts.
ittle Bro, you and I think so much alike, it's scary. There is an idea taught in the church to which I belong that makes so much sense, it was a big part of why I joined it. And that idea is that everything that happens to you in life, good or bad, is a thing that can make your life better, when you look at it as a blessing. For instance, when I tore my meniscus, and it hurt to the point that I couldn't walk without crutches, my first thought wasn't frustration, or anger, or "why me", it was - no I know how other people with knee problems feel, and I can be more compassionate. When I badly burned my leg so many years ago, it taught me how to work around a difficult situation. I still needed to earn a wage, to support my family. I found ways to still work, in spite of ridiculous pain. When good things happen, it's a reward for something good that I've done, or gives someone else the opportunity to feel good about doing something for someone else.

As we live, wisdom comes with experience. And if we look at all of our past life, carefully, and at our present life, we can see something positive in everything that has ever happened in it. A positive attitude, and looking for the good in life, is a trait you are teaching those youngsters. And think what a great example you are being to to your own little guy.

I'm glad you my brother. You make me proud.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #170
Executive Chef

I learned of another friend who lost his home in the Black Forest fire. He lost a house, a barn, 5 cars, and a motorcycle. Also the trees on his property are all burned, and most of them will have to be cut down. Such a huge loss.

He has his life, his hot rod, and his motor home.