What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawgluver, I've decided there is nothing more alluring to the male nose than food-scented woman.:yum: I keep telling my DH I have to come up with kielbasa-scented cologne.

chopper, I have those memory issues too. I have a little basket on my windowsill now that holds about 10-15 of those gloves - right within sight and reach!

Fiona, funny you should suggest that! I just picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago when I saw it at the store. Just waiting to finish up the last of a Bath & Body Works tangerine kitchen soap. I don't use the soap up too quickly in the kitchen because I usually grab the dish soap instead when I have greasy or stinky hands - I keep the dish soap in an old pump soap bottle, too, for quick access. Now I'll have to test-wash my hands with the Softsoap after working with my stinky foods.

Dawgluver, I've decided there is nothing more alluring to the male nose than food-scented woman.:yum: I keep telling my DH I have to come up with kielbasa-scented cologne.

chopper, I have those memory issues too. I have a little basket on my windowsill now that holds about 10-15 of those gloves - right within sight and reach!

Fiona, funny you should suggest that! I just picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago when I saw it at the store. Just waiting to finish up the last of a Bath & Body Works tangerine kitchen soap. I don't use the soap up too quickly in the kitchen because I usually grab the dish soap instead when I have greasy or stinky hands - I keep the dish soap in an old pump soap bottle, too, for quick access. Now I'll have to test-wash my hands with the Softsoap after working with my stinky foods.

:yum::yum:

I hope it works for you. Onion is the only food smell I cannot stand having on my hands. And that stale dishcloth smell...urk!

I learned not to hold onto my nightstand when I am reaching for something. My furniture is on wheels so I can move it with ease when I am cleaning.

I was laying on my side. I put one hand on the side of the stand, and went to reach for my hairbrush. I ended up pushing the nightstand away and tumbled off the bed and onto the floor. I caught the whole side of my neck on the corner. I look like someone tried to slit my throat. I also caught my arm and now the whole elbow area is black and blue. :angel:

I learned not to hold onto my nightstand when I am reaching for something. My furniture is on wheels so I can move it with ease when I am cleaning.

I was laying on my side. I put one hand on the side of the stand, and went to reach for my hairbrush. I ended up pushing the nightstand away and tumbled off the bed and onto the floor. I caught the whole side of my neck on the corner. I look like someone tried to slit my throat. I also caught my arm and now the whole elbow area is black and blue. :angel:

Need to go for x-rays, make sure you didn't break anything...

Need to go for x-rays, make sure you didn't break anything...

None of my bones hurt. And I do have an appointment tomorrow for my six month checkup with my doctor. All I have to do is just breath on my skin and it turns black and blue. I just gave the side of my neck a good scrape. And with my skin so fragile, it is a really good scrape. A little tender, but othewise all right. I put a very cold wet compress on it and it stopped the bleeding. I didn't even realize I was bleeding until my nightgown felt wet. I looked down and there was blood running down the side of my neck and chest. I looked in the mirror and looked like a murder victim. :angel:

I learned that nothing good comes too easy. I was trying to tie a particular fishing fly pattern called The Super Yooper Streamer, created by a good friend of mine, an had a miserable time trying to palmer the feather, with polar chenile. When completed, my fly looked somewhat similar to my friend's elegantly tied fly, but very rough, and not as pretty. It will take some practice before I master this one, and it isn't nearly as complicated as some of the flies I've successfully tied.

Lesson again learned, perseverance and practice make perfect. I will master this fly.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Dawgluver, I've decided there is nothing more alluring to the male nose than food-scented woman.:yum: I keep telling my DH I have to come up with kielbasa-scented cologne...

I agree. A little pizza sauce rubbed behind the ears, and maybe onion rubbed behind the knew. Rub some fresh basil on the base of the neck. You'll draw every red-blooded male for 2 miles.:LOL:

Better yet, a little liquid smoke and bbq pork rubbed on either elbow. Wasn't it Emeril that said, and I'm paraphrasing, "You can make a car bumper taste good with pork fat.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I agree. A little pizza sauce rubbed behind the ears, and maybe onion rubbed behind the knew. Rub some fresh basil on the base of the neck. You'll draw every red-blooded male for 2 miles.:LOL:

Better yet, a little liquid smoke and bbq pork rubbed on either elbow. Wasn't it Emeril that said, and I'm paraphrasing, "You can make a car bumper taste good with pork fat.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Bacon grease: works like a charm!

Hello everyone. First off I hope you are feeling better since your fall Addie. I don't know any of you yet but I hate seeing where people hurt themselves.

A suggestion about gloves. I live in a small country town. I'm out of the town itself but anyhow, I get those food handling gloves through my local sandwich shop. I use gloves a lot while cooking because I use to be a cook in a nursing home & I use to have my own catering business for a short time.

I also get them to order the gallon size jars of hot pepper rings for me. They don't charge me extra so that is nice of them but I also eat there so it's not like I never spend any money on their food!

Hello everyone. First off I hope you are feeling better since your fall Addie. I don't know any of you yet but I hate seeing where people hurt themselves.

A suggestion about gloves. I live in a small country town. I'm out of the town itself but anyhow, I get those food handling gloves through my local sandwich shop. I use gloves a lot while cooking because I use to be a cook in a nursing home & I use to have my own catering business for a short time.

I also get them to order the gallon size jars of hot pepper rings for me. They don't charge me extra so that is nice of them but I also eat there so it's not like I never spend any money on their food!

Thank you and welcome to DC. It was my own fault for the accident. I am my own worse enemy.

I get the surgical gloves that doctors and nurses use from my medical facility. I was very sick over a year ago and they sent me as part of the needed medical supplies, a box of them in size Small. I use them all the time when cleaning. I get all my medical supplies for free.

You are going to love being here. We have a lot of fun while exchanging recipes and ideas. Everyone here has a great sense of humor. We all ignore Chief Longwind Of The North. We all love him as he is harmless. But he does have a plethora of ideas and recipes. Right now on days when he isn't shoveling snow, he is tying fishing flies. He really thinks that winter is going to end soon. We let him dream.

So pull up a chair and join us at the Coffee House Klatch. :angel:

Last edited:
I prefer the surgical gloves, as that is what I am used to anyway...but I only use them for chopping hot peppers and cleaning the litter box.

I have learned today that if a commercial comes on that is really funny, it won't come on again if you mention it to someone.

I prefer the surgical gloves, as that is what I am used to anyway...but I only use them for chopping hot peppers and cleaning the litter box.

I have learned today that if a commercial comes on that is really funny, it won't come on again if you mention it to someone.
That's a corollary of Murphy's Law. ;)

I think we are all our own worst enemies! You should see some of the stupid stuff I do to myself :ROFLMAO:

I don't like any gravy but I did have to serve that red eye stuff when I worked at Cracker Barrel. Yuck, that's all I'll say.

I learned that I need to start hiding my homemade beef jerky because my husband eats it up too fast.

I have no idea what either of those are.

I learned where the germiest areas of the kitchen are today:
NSF Lists 5 "Germiest" Items in the Kitchen | Food Safety News
\

:wacko: I always am wiping down my gasket in the fridge. At least once a month. And I am always surprised at how much dirt and yuk have collected in that time. My cutting part on my can opener comes off for a complete cleaning in hot soapy water and a good scrubbing with a kitchen scrub brush I keep at sink side. I really need to get one piece rubber spatulas. The two-parters are very difficult to clean. One of the areas I find that needs constant cleaning is 'in back of the faucet.' We wipe down the handles, and the faucet everytime we clean. But that tiny space between the faucet base and the back splash collects a bunch of crap. I do keep a very large supply of scrubby sponges. When one get too yucky looking, I just toss it. I know, you can put it in the MW to kill all germs. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom