"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #221
Master Chef

I learned the puff pastry and phyllo dough are not the same thing. *sigh* Made powerplantop's Strudel recipe with the wrong type dough.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I learned the puff pastry and phyllo dough are not the same thing. *sigh* Made powerplantop's Strudel recipe with the wrong type dough.
I have worked with phyllo dough a couple of times. Too much work. The next time you work with it, put some ghee in a spray bottle and spray the sheets. Or melt butter and leave the solids behind. The last time I used it, I was making lamb and spinach pockets with feta cheese. I sprayed the sheets with olive oil instead of the butter. I now stick to just puff pastry recipes.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #223
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
ROFL!!!!!

Bathroom spiders are the worst, they come at you when you are vulnerable.
My husband and I could be sitting there watching TV. I would see one of those Texas roaches going up the wall behind him. He would just smack that critter into the next world. Let me say the word "Spider!!!" He was gone screaming down the street and I wouldn't see him for the rest of the day. And then he would call to ask if it was safe to come home. I either smack them with a shoe if the are on something or just crunch them the death. Heck, after walking on carpets of Texas roaches at night and hearing "crunch, crunch," a little spider holds no fear for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #224
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have worked with phyllo dough a couple of times. Too much work. The next time you work with it, put some ghee in a spray bottle and spray the sheets. Or melt butter and leave the solids behind. The last time I used it, I was making lamb and spinach pockets with feta cheese. I sprayed the sheets with olive oil instead of the butter. I now stick to just puff pastry recipes.
But phyllo pastry is SO much easier than puff pastry! For a start no-one in their right mind makes it - even in middle eastern countries where it's in regular usage they buy it and what's good enough for them is good enough for me. I hate making puff pastry with a passion and avoid recipes that need it, like the plague. Life's too short for puff pastry.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #225
Certified Pretend Chef

Working with phyllo takes more patience than puff pastry. It's tedious to layer it, one sheet at a time, brush with butter and repeat. My pakalva recipe calls for 40 sheets of phyllo so that's a commitment.

We don't make either phyllo or puff pastry.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #226
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My husband and I could be sitting there watching TV. I would see one of those Texas roaches going up the wall behind him. He would just smack that critter into the next world. Let me say the word "Spider!!!" He was gone screaming down the street and I wouldn't see him for the rest of the day. And then he would call to ask if it was safe to come home. I either smack them with a shoe if the are on something or just crunch them the death. Heck, after walking on carpets of Texas roaches at night and hearing "crunch, crunch," a little spider holds no fear for me.
(Shudder)The more I read on here of life in parts of America - major power outages lasting days, wildlife, weather etc., the more I'm glad I live in poor old Britain.

I am afraid of spiders (stupid I know) but I do let them live if possible because they deal with other insects especially flies. We are fortunate here in that we only have nuisance arthropods. Spiders don't bite and mosquito bites only itch, ants are a nuisance not a threat, termites don't eat your house, and cockroaches are rare in most people's houses. The only dangerous insects are house flies and then only if they're allowed to get onto food.

Power outages are as rare as hens' teeth and only last a couple of hours and in the main the weather is a nuisance not a danger.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #227
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon everyone has their peculiarities. I know several full growed men who are scared to death of spiders. I prefer to live and let live as much as I can, as long as such critters don't cross the line, like them snakes the other week.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #228
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I sometimes cheat and substitute phyllo where puff pastry is asked for. It's less fattening and you don't get that nasty greasiness and I prefer the lightness of the layers with phyllo
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #229
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Working with phyllo takes more patience than puff pastry. It's tedious to layer it, one sheet at a time, brush with butter and repeat. My pakalva recipe calls for 40 sheets of phyllo so that's a commitment.

We don't make either phyllo or puff pastry.
Ah, perhaps that's why you prefer it to phyllo. Phyllo is a piece of cake beside home made puff. All that rolling and layering and chilling and repeating the same thing umpteen times when making puff paste at home is a pain in the neck. The ready made bought stuff is plain nasty even if you can get the all-butter sort.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #230
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Ah, perhaps that's why you prefer it to phyllo. Phyllo is a piece of cake beside home made puff. All that rolling and layering and chilling and repeating the same thing umpteen times when making puff paste at home is a pain in the neck. The ready made bought stuff is plain nasty even if you can get the all-butter sort.
I was writing only about comparative ease of working with the two. I have no plans to make my own puff or phyllo. I have a life.