"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I was writing only about comparative ease of working with the two. I have no plans to make my own puff or phyllo. I have a life.
I am with you Andy. The days of Julia Childs are gone. Even she would advocate using convenience foods when available.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #232
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
So far...what I learned today is that it isn't the best plan to go outside in an unshaded area to water a lot of plants and wear black tank top and shorts and not tie my middle-of-the-back long hair down. Especially when the temperature and humidity are in the 90+ range. When I finished I was as wet as the plants! You'd think I'd learn after doing this all summer.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #233
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
So far...what I learned today is that it isn't the best plan to go outside in an unshaded area to water a lot of plants and wear black tank top and shorts and not tie my middle-of-the-back long hair down. Especially when the temperature and humidity are in the 90+ range. When I finished I was as wet as the plants! You'd think I'd learn after doing this all summer.
You had the solution in you hand, a hose spraying cold water.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #234
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
(Shudder)The more I read on here of life in parts of America - major power outages lasting days, wildlife, weather etc., the more I'm glad I live in poor old Britain.

I am afraid of spiders (stupid I know) but I do let them live if possible because they deal with other insects especially flies. We are fortunate here in that we only have nuisance arthropods. Spiders don't bite and mosquito bites only itch, ants are a nuisance not a threat, termites don't eat your house, and cockroaches are rare in most people's houses. The only dangerous insects are house flies and then only if they're allowed to get onto food.

Power outages are as rare as hens' teeth and only last a couple of hours and in the main the weather is a nuisance not a danger.
All spiders can and do bite. And they can inject some nasty stuff into your skin. It is their defense mechanism. Nasty enough to send you to the hospital a very sick person. You have just been lucky enough to have missed it. Mosquito bites can easily become infected. We do have one section of our country where it rains almost as much as it does in Merry Ole England. The Northwest. But even then they have more days of sunshine than rain. We do have majestic mountains that are snow capped year round, along with deserts that bloom with the most beautiful flowers you have ever seen. Miles and miles of beautiful seashores along with sprawling meadows. But no matter where you go in this country, we have some very unique fauna and flora that can not be found anywhere else on earth. I will gladly live with the inconveniences that each season brings. Because one day I got to see a Big Horn Sheep ram taking his time crossing the road right in front of the car I was in and it looked right at me. It was springtime. Had it been winter, that road would have been closed due to avalanche danger. I would have missed that.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #235
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why in the world do you buy black clothes for summer wear? And why aren't you watering early in the morning? Or later in the evening? Geesh!!! Do I have to teach you everything?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #236
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have worked with phyllo dough a couple of times. Too much work. The next time you work with it, put some ghee in a spray bottle and spray the sheets...
Addie, I know what to DO with phyllo dough. Heck, the stuff in the grocery stores is made in the same city where our daughter went to high school. I have just never worked with it. The problem was my brain didn't catch the "puff pasty" in the recipe because the title called it a strudel. With Germans and Hungarians in our family that word immediately calls to mind flaky phyllo. I have to admit I was wondering why PPO wasn't having me brush the layers with butter. And then *puff*, it dawned on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
But phyllo pastry is SO much easier than puff pastry! For a start no-one in their right mind makes it - even in middle eastern countries where it's in regular usage they buy it and what's good enough for them is good enough for me. I hate making puff pastry with a passion and avoid recipes that need it, like the plague. Life's too short for puff pastry.
I didn't go through the work to make the dough...unless I can call opening the box "work"? It's just that I've never made anything out of either dough, only making the standard pasty crusts from scratch at home. Those are challenging enough! I'm more of a cook than a baker.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Why in the world do you buy black clothes for summer wear? And why aren't you watering early in the morning? Or later in the evening? Geesh!!! Do I have to teach you everything?
As for the black clothing, well, I like black and, trust me, the tank top I had on was barely there and I had on short-shorts. Yes, I always water early in the morning. Have to here. Our normal temps are in the low 100s so, perhaps, 90 is cool. It's hot no matter what time of the day. It was 89 when we went to bed last night, so the nights don't even cool down enough to begin a day on a pleasant note. That's just the way it is here.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #238
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't make stuff with puff pastry or phyllo dough. Too much work to make them and the stuff in the store isn't whole grain. I've eaten stuff made with those two pastries that was good, but not so good that I would make it at home with white flour pastry.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #239
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You had the solution in you hand, a hose spraying cold water.

I do that, too, Andy. I don't wear shoes because I almost always hose myself down several times while I'm watering, but today seemed especially hot. I think my main mistake was not putting my hair up off my neck. You can bet I'll do that when I water this evening.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #240
Master Chef

Quote:
....I think my main mistake was not putting my hair up off my neck. You can bet I'll do that when I water this evening.
Even up here in NE I've had my hair up most of the time. Take it down to shampoo or at bedtime, pile it up in the AM.