"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #261
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sorry, I meant spiders in the UK are well-trained and don't bite people and mozzie bites don't usually get infected. Mind you I was targeted by every horse fly in Derbyshire a few weeks ago and that was pretty nasty while it lasted but I'm a bit allergic to the bites.

My post was partly tongue in cheek. I haven't visited the States but we get nature and travel programmes on television and I agree that it's a beautiful and very varied country. Sadly, most Brits who visit the USA for holiday tend to go to Florida to "do" Disney and fail to see the big picture. I'm probably a bit old for the riding holiday out west that I always fancied when I was a girl but on my bucket list of "Things to Do Before I Die" is New England in the fall - very hackneyed and touristy, I know!

As for the animals, an old friend of mine used to be married to a keen amateur mountain climber and used to traipse all over the world with him. Sometime in the 1970s they were camping in the Yosemite when they heard a noise outside the tent, stuck their heads out of the tent and looked straight into the face of a bear. They were very lucky as it just looked at them and turned and walked away.

We used to go camping in Yosemite all the time. Mostly in the High Country. In the Valley if we absolutely had to. Desperate city dwellers that we were. I remember us being woken up in the middle of the night by one miffed bear. What no food!? We could hear it outside of our tent. Feel the weight of it's body walking around our site. I didn't dare move or look out to see what it was. Already knew what it was. So no big surprises. Had a feeling though if it heard me breathe I could be dinner.

Once in the Valley a few guys next to us visiting from the Bay Area were rudely woken up. I still laugh at his screams. OMG!! OMG!!! Must have been one sight to see your fancy car crushed, trashed like an aluminum can. They were warned.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #262
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My mum told me that they went on vacation in Yosemite when I was a baby. She says she looked out the kitchen window of the cabin to see a bear hovering over the baby buggy in which I was sleeping. The bear stood there, looking at me for several minutes and wandered away. My poor mum was terrified of what would happen if she disturbed the bear. She watched and waited with a cast iron skillet in her hand, in case she needed to run outside and confront the bear. But, it turned out fine.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #263
Master Chef

~~Nice pictures GG!

~~chopper, we drove through CO from west to east. I bet I never blinked! Really breathtaking sites.

~~Addie, you're calling a friend of ours crazy. He's an avid hiker - the friend who stayed with us as he was walking the Appalachian Trail. He just posted a bunch of photos online from his most recent hike at Kings Peak in UT. Beautiful! Himself and I used to hike before we got old and furty, but our hiking was minor-league compared to what Larry Boy does.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #264
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
~~Nice pictures GG!

~~chopper, we drove through CO from west to east. I bet I never blinked! Really breathtaking sites.

~~Addie, you're calling a friend of ours crazy. He's an avid hiker - the friend who stayed with us as he was walking the Appalachian Trail. He just posted a bunch of photos on line from his most recent hike at Kings Peak in UT. Beautiful! Himself and I used to hike before we got old and furty, but our hiking was minor-league compared to what Larry Boy does.
Not really. My son has done the Appalachian Trail. He started in the Caroliners with his new bride and made it up to Maine. He has also hiked through the back country at Yosemite. I just ache all over thinking about it. I love the outdoors, but hiking for me, no thanks. One time a friend I was dating took me up to Loon Mountain in NH. We headed out on a trail at the top. I look and I find myself out on a ledge. OMG! One misstep and I was going to be rolling down the side of that mountain. Once my heart slowed back to normal, I sat on that ledge with my legs hanging over and ate the sandwich I had in my pocket. What a beautiful view. No, my hiking days are over. But for those that are still able to do it, I envy them. They get to see what only I can dream about.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #265
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I live right in the middle of the mountains on the Pacific side of the Continental Divide. All I see are beautiful views. And lately lots of smoke and fire...
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #266
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I live right in the middle of the mountains on the Pacific side of the Continental Divide. All I see are beautiful views. And lately lots of smoke and fire...
I was thinking of you last night as I watched the documentary. The hiker had to go off trail due to fires. The trails were closed. I was wondering what would the pioneers have done if those trails were closed due to fires.

I have to admit there are some breath taking sights in your part of the country. In Washington there is Mt. Ranier. I was able to see it every morning when I opened my drapes. I had the Cascades on one side and the Olympic Mountains on the other. So I know what you mean when you say you see beautiful views.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #267
Chef Extraordinaire

Live and Learn. I had a couple of Swanson Chicken Pot Pies in the fridge so I could grab something quick to eat. Heated up one today. I don't like the white meat on chicken or turkey. So I take the first bite. The crust was horrible. Not flakey at all. Absolutely no salt. And the filling was even worse. No salt there either. I spit out the pieces of chicken and the veggies were only half done. Into the garbage. And I went into the freezer and got the other one for the garbage can also without even opening it.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #268
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Live and Learn. I had a couple of Swanson Chicken Pot Pies in the fridge so I could grab something quick to eat. Heated up one today. I don't like the white meat on chicken or turkey. So I take the first bite. The crust was horrible. Not flakey at all. Absolutely no salt. And the filling was even worse. No salt there either. I spit out the pieces of chicken and the veggies were only half done. Into the garbage. And I went into the freezer and got the other one for the garbage can also without even opening it.
When I got my first place I lived on those pot pies, five for a dollar!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #269
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to buy them and served them on Wednesday. Girl Scout day. I always got home late. The kids loved them. Of course I popped them in the oven then. Maybe that is the difference. You won't see them in my shopping cart again.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #270
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to buy them and served them on Wednesday. Girl Scout day. I always got home late. The kids loved them. Of course I popped them in the oven then. Maybe that is the difference. You won't see them in my shopping cart again.
They probably have different ingredients nowadays. They probably don't taste the same as they used to.