"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #271
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Live and Learn. I had a couple of Swanson Chicken Pot Pies in the fridge so I could grab something quick to eat. Heated up one today. I don't like the white meat on chicken or turkey. So I take the first bite. The crust was horrible. Not flakey at all. Absolutely no salt. And the filling was even worse. No salt there either. I spit out the pieces of chicken and the veggies were only half done. Into the garbage. And I went into the freezer and got the other one for the garbage can also without even opening it.
Get Marie Callender's next time. All the flavor and calories of homemade

Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #272
Master Chef

GG, we were underwhelmed the first time we tried Marie Callender's. We thought they weren't worth it when you considered the price difference between them and Swanson's even though Marie's were on sale AND I had a coupon. When we tried the first one we followed the micro directions. But when we had the second I first defrosted it, then baked it in the toaster oven. Definite taste/texture improvement! Still not enough to buy them again though.

Addie, you might want to go fish that unopened one out of the trash and try it baked in the real oven. You might end up with something edible.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #273
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, I think we switched to Stouffer's. Can't remember - it was something we used for quick, lazy dinner nights during the winter, so haven't bought it for a while.

Yeah, we always make them in the toaster oven. They definitely need that dry heat to crisp up, and a lot of time to defrost and heat through.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #274
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I partial cook in the microwave and finish in the toaster oven. As close to perfect as I can get with frozen dinners.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #275
Executive Chef

My Dad worked for Campbell's soup. They make (or made at that time) all Swansons frozen meals. They also made all Pepperidge Farm products as well as a few others plus Campbell's soup.

Anyway .. we grew up eating all that stuff.

The first time I tried a Marie Callendar pot pie I loved it. It was not as salty, it had a better ratio of meat to vegies and the vegies were not "rubbery".

I've never tried Stouffers - in fact, I didn't know they made pot pies.

I have learned to make my own pot pies and only rarely purchase frozen ones, but it's always Marie Callendar.

BTW .. I never cook them in the microwave .. always the oven. To me they just taste better.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #276
Master Chef

The Stouffer's Factory Outlet was about 10 miles from our home when I was growing up. Mom had a small deep-freeze. When I got home from school or work I could always tell if she and Dad had made a Stouffer's run that day just by lifting the lid on the freezer. Got sooooo tired of "French Bread Pizza".
Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #277
Chef Extraordinaire

Having spent most of my childhood growing up in an Italian neighborhood, it was hardly my favorite pizza.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #278
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's actually one of several continental divides, it's toward the west coast, and doesn't stop at the borders. It divides all of the North and South American continents. I went horseback riding along the Continental Divide in Colorado and it's breathtakingly beautiful.
Lovely photos. Perhaps it's a good job I'm too old for a riding holiday like that. I'd look a bit out of place on a side saddle with a velvet safety helmet .

(I've ridden all my life but only took up side saddle 15 years ago. Had a lesson to see what it was like and was hooked. Contrary to what most people think, it's a really secure seat.)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night I learned something that could very possibly save me from hours of dry heaves.

I was sitting at the computer last night and all of a sudden I got hit with a violent episode of vertigo. This is not the first time. But every time it has happened, it happens when I am at the computer. I have an overhead lamp that swings out over the keyboard. I never swing it out. But Spike does. Mostly when he is entering the numbers from the tickets for the "Second Chance" win. He often forgets to swing it back against the wall. When it is swung back I can't see the squiggly light bulb. Those light bulbs are fluorescent. And the ones in my sockets are the white daylight ones. I was so sick, I couldn't even reach for my pills. And they are right next to my bed. Now I don't mind the dry heaves. but I do become concerned with the strain on my heart when they continue for any length of time. And that is what happened last night. Finally I was able to get my pills and took one. That helped a tiny bit. So an hour later I had to take a second one. I keep my nitro and inhaler on the computer desk as well as other areas I usually am. It looks like I am going to have to keep some on my vertigo pills there also. Since it is the area that sets off the episodes.

I learned to make sure that lamp is back against the wall where I can't see the bulb. And to keep some of my vertigo pills at the computer desk also. It took me long enough to learn what was bringing on the episodes. I am just glad I did. I am a slow learner I guess. I wouldn't wish vertigo even on an ex husband.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #280
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Last night I learned something that could very possibly save me from hours of dry heaves.

I was sitting at the computer last night and all of a sudden I got hit with a violent episode of vertigo. This is not the first time. But every time it has happened, it happens when I am at the computer. I have an overhead lamp that swings out over the keyboard. I never swing it out. But Spike does. Mostly when he is entering the numbers from the tickets for the "Second Chance" win. He often forgets to swing it back against the wall. When it is swung back I can't see the squiggly light bulb. Those light bulbs are fluorescent. And the ones in my sockets are the white daylight ones. I was so sick, I couldn't even reach for my pills. And they are right next to my bed. Now I don't mind the dry heaves. but I do become concerned with the strain on my heart when they continue for any length of time. And that is what happened last night. Finally I was able to get my pills and took one. That helped a tiny bit. So an hour later I had to take a second one. I keep my nitro and inhaler on the computer desk as well as other areas I usually am. It looks like I am going to have to keep some on my vertigo pills there also. Since it is the area that sets off the episodes.

I learned to make sure that lamp is back against the wall where I can't see the bulb. And to keep some of my vertigo pills at the computer desk also. It took me long enough to learn what was bringing on the episodes. I am just glad I did. I am a slow learner I guess. I wouldn't wish vertigo even on an ex husband.
I had severe vertigo in Costco...I was walking by the books fast and reading titles/authors as I walked by. Almost knocked on my butt! I realized it happens when I walk and try to focus on peripheral things going by. It never bothers me in the car.

Take care Addie!