"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
\

I always am wiping down my gasket in the fridge. At least once a month. And I am always surprised at how much dirt and yuk have collected in that time. My cutting part on my can opener comes off for a complete cleaning in hot soapy water and a good scrubbing with a kitchen scrub brush I keep at sink side. I really need to get one piece rubber spatulas. The two-parters are very difficult to clean. One of the areas I find that needs constant cleaning is 'in back of the faucet.' We wipe down the handles, and the faucet everytime we clean. But that tiny space between the faucet base and the back splash collects a bunch of crap. I do keep a very large supply of scrubby sponges. When one get too yucky looking, I just toss it. I know, you can put it in the MW to kill all germs.
I've always eyed my can opener with suspicion lol.

I'm really big on keeping my food prep areas clean. I buy the Lysol wipes in bulk. I feel guilty though as I feel like those are wasteful, so I try to rinse each one after use and use it to wipe something that just needs wiped vs sanitized, like the lid to the dog food container or the tile behind the sink.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #42
Master Chef

Every once in a while the paranoid part of my brain puts a little Soft Scrub Gel with bleach on my dishbrush and makes me scrub the cutting wheel. I do wash it with dish detergent (and a different scrubber) after every use. Don't want traces of tomatoes mixing in with canned fruit.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwillow View Post

I'm really big on keeping my food prep areas clean. I buy the Lysol wipes in bulk. I feel guilty though as I feel like those are wasteful, so I try to rinse each one after use and use it to wipe something that just needs wiped vs sanitized, like the lid to the dog food container or the tile behind the sink.
Have you ever taken a really good look at the blade on your can opener? Everytime you open a can, food is left behind on it. My son gave me a Hamilton Beach. The whole top comes off for a complete cleaning. The blade is stainless steel. I still have my manual one. And that is due to be replaced. It is very difficult to keep that blade clean. That blade is made of aluminum.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Every once in a while the paranoid part of my brain puts a little Soft Scrub Gel with bleach on my dishbrush and makes me scrub the cutting wheel. I do wash it with dish detergent (and a different scrubber) after every use. Don't want traces of tomatoes mixing in with canned fruit.
I opened a can of beans this morning. My cutter head is sitting on the counter waiting for a good scrubbing. Lots of bean juice on it.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwillow View Post

One cap of bleach to 1 gallon of water sanitizes as good as the Lysol wipes. And it's much cheaper!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
One cap of bleach to 1 gallon of water sanitizes as good as the Lysol wipes. And it's much cheaper!
Bleach fumes, any at all, is an instant headache and nausea for me. That goes for all commercial household cleaners except furniture polish (no idea why that is the exception). I use either dishsoap, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or baking soda to clean. None of that sanitizes though, hence the Lysol wipes.

It's a sensitivity I didn't develop until later in life. It didn't bother me when I was younger. I can't really handle perfumes and air fresheners, either.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ah! Then looks like the Lysol wipes are it! Was hoping to save you some money to spend on chocolate or something.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #48
Master Chef

What I learned today; Chocolate couverture is your friend. I've never used it, but have eaten it. From what I understand, the chocolate used to enrobe See's Candy pieces is a couverture made by Guitarde. I may have to purchase some of that the next time I want to make a batch of chocolate candy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I learned that chickens like to roll down the gentle slope of the septic-field "hill." I looked out several times, and there were chickens rolling down the side of the septic-field hill. Penny started it, and several others followed. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Chickens seem to have a spirit of play--and, according to a friend, her chickens can swim (but only if it is really, really hot outside). Who knew?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I learned that chickens like to roll down the gentle slope of the septic-field "hill." I looked out several times, and there were chickens rolling down the side of the septic-field hill. Penny started it, and several others followed. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Chickens seem to have a spirit of play--and, according to a friend, her chickens can swim (but only if it is really, really hot outside). Who knew?
Great story. It reminds me that we had a dog who loved to ride sleds down snowy slopes. The kids would go sledding in nearby gravel and sand pits. The dog would go with them. They'd slide down, with the dog on the plastic tabogan, and she would grab the rope of the sled and race up the hill faster than the kids could climb it. She'd then slide down by herself, and meet with them at the top for another ride down with them. It was a hoot to watch. She was such a great pet, full of play, and fun, and love. One of the best dogs I ever had either as a kid, or as an adult. There were two others that were as good, one better, but only because he was mine, and obeyed me implicitly.

Never heard of chickens doing anything but eating, picking on each other, and being fierce predators when the opportunity arose. I once saw a mouse try to navigate our hen house, many years back. Seconds later, and I do mean seconds, there wasn't a scrap left of that mouse. He made great chicken feed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote