What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Washing your hands just using a stainless steel spoon will help to get rid of that garlic/onion odor.

Start using paper plates for hubby. Since you are the one to do the dishes, you get to use regular plates. Why create more work for yourself? :angel:
Many years ago as a student sharing flats (apartments) I learned the value of the rule "S/he who cooks doesn't wash the dishes". It leads to a fairer division of labour and has stood me in good stead through numerous relationships and house and flat shares and holidays with friends in rented houses

Maybe that's one of the differences between the US and Canada.
And certainly different from the UK - at least with portable appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, etc. Permanent appliances like immersion water heaters and other types of water heaters have to be wired into switched spurs but not anything that can be moved by the owner.

Moveable appliances always come with the cord and plug attached and in the case of dishwashers, washing machines, dryers,etc., which have to have other essential parts such as pipes to attach to the water point or vent tubes, etc., the whole shebang is supplied at a fixed price.

It sounded to me that the store was taking advantage of the customer

Last edited:
Many years ago as a student sharing flats (apartments) I learned the value of the rule "S/he who cooks doesn't wash the dishes". It leads to a fairer division of labour and has stood me in good stead through numerous relationships and house and flat shares and holidays with friends in rented houses

I do the cooking and the dishes. I'm ok with that, because even though I know how to change the oil in my car, Hubby does that, and he cleans up after doing it. Even though I had wood shop in high school and could make my own benches for the deck, Hubby made three benches for the deck (I was probably dusting or vacuuming at the time). I could go on, but you get the picture. :D

I do the cooking and the dishes. I'm ok with that, because even though I know how to change the oil in my car, Hubby does that, and he cleans up after doing it. Even though I had wood shop in high school and could make my own benches for the deck, Hubby made three benches for the deck (I was probably dusting or vacuuming at the time). I could go on, but you get the picture. :D
Hmm, but how often do your cook and wash up and how often does your husband change the oil in the car and make benches

Last edited:
Hmm, but how often do your cook and wash up and how often does your husband change the oil in the car and make benches

Mad Cook, a good point.

Chopper is one of those rare women who absolutely adores her DH (Dear Husband). And he adores her. They've been married forever.

Last edited:
dawh, you hit the nail on the head.

that's so much more important than taking tally.

my wife taught me to drive stick: i taught her how to cook (most things).

it's not important who does what when, but how you feel doing them and having them done for you. :)

dawh, you hit the nail on the head.

that's so much more important than taking tally.

my wife taught me to drive stick: i taught her how to cook (most things).

it's not important who does what when, but how you feel doing them and having them done for you. :)

bt, when I got married right out of high school, the woman stayed home and took care of the family and the husband went off to work each day to support all of us. Then when women started to go out into the work world and started talking about the husband sharing some of the household chores and childcare, I was horrified. Did they really think men would go for that? Much to my surprise, men were beginning to enjoy parenthood. They learned to change diapers as well as wash the dishes. When I had my first son, I was nursing. I didn't think it was possible for him to participate in the feeding. But one night I was so exhausted. Time for a feeding. He got up, put the baby to my breast, had me turn over for breast change. Then he changed the diaper and put the baby back to sleep. I was so touched by his thoughtfulness, I started to cry. I nursed until the baby was four months old. I learned to sleep right through the feedings. Years later he told me that it was something he really enjoyed doing. Not just for me, but enjoyed the time with the baby. He did it quite often. And always on weekends. He also did it with the other two kids that came after. I can honestly say, I was not a sleep deprived new mother. :angel:

Last edited:
I suppose Himself would clean up the dishes and cooktop if I insisted hard enough, but then I probably wouldn't be happy with the way he did it. Heck, I KNOW I wouldn't be happy! Sure I'd rather he did it, but sometimes ya gotta pick your battles. In 38+ years I think we're still even in the "who's winning" contest. ;)

What I learned today:
Frying ten pounds of thigh/drumsticks as chicken nuggets is a royal pain in the neck, and several other places too. Frying another ten pounds as hot nuggets (think hot wings, but cheaper) makes those same body parts say mean things about you. But all those bones and skins from d-boning the chicken makes a superb stock.

The things I do for a pot luck, and it's only for my co-workers, of which only one I'm friends with. But you know me. I can't just open a number 10 can of pork and beans and call it a night. I'm tired, and am only almost done.:( Hope they like it.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hi, I'm new here. I learned that one shouldn't mess too much with a recipe one knows little about. I'm famous for reading a recipe then closing the books and start cooking. But, this morning I mixed together (approximately - giggle) the ingredients for banana bread using a cake mix. I then added a package of chocolate chips, a can of crushed pineapple and some coconut. Straight out of the oven it was great. Cooled it is a big gelatinous mound of goo. I couldn't leave it alone hot. Cold I will have no trouble throwing it in the trash.

Hi, I'm new here. I learned that one shouldn't mess too much with a recipe one knows little about. I'm famous for reading a recipe then closing the books and start cooking. But, this morning I mixed together (approximately - giggle) the ingredients for banana bread using a cake mix. I then added a package of chocolate chips, a can of crushed pineapple and some coconut. Straight out of the oven it was great. Cooled it is a big gelatinous mound of goo. I couldn't leave it alone hot. Cold I will have no trouble throwing it in the trash.

First things first. Welcome to DC. You are going to have lots of fun and laughs.

Remember, if it is a box, can or other container read the directions and adhere to them. After all it is their product and they know what it is supposed to do. They have a test kitchen at their facility. They have probably made every error in making the product deliberately. If only to know what the right way is to make it. Lesson learned.

Now start with Today's Funny on page one and get ready for some side splitting laughter. You will notice that the folks here love their pets. So if you have any, don't be shy in sharing stories about any adventures with them. :angel:

So true, so true about using manufacturers instructions. But there are tons of books, websites, you name it, about how to make things for which the product was NOT intended. So, I thought I was going to invent a new one. NOT, LOL:wacko:

Welcome bgoogle! I couldn't help but relate to your baking story, and I've been cooking a very long time. Sounds to me like you're the creative type and that's fine for a cook, but not for a baker, which is the exact reason why I don't bake. Well, I hardly ever bake although I can, but precise measurements and precise directions annoy me.
Anyway, you'll have a good time here as few among us are flawless ... :angel:

Welcome bgoogle! I couldn't help but relate to your baking story, and I've been cooking a very long time. Sounds to me like you're the creative type and that's fine for a cook, but not for a baker, which is the exact reason why I don't bake. Well, I hardly ever bake although I can, but precise measurements and precise directions annoy me.
Anyway, you'll have a good time here as few among us are flawless ... :angel:

+++1. Well put, what Kayelle said goes for me too!

Welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Today I learned my car has a cabin air filter, for the hvac system that should of been changed frequently depending on mileage and air quality in my area.[About once a year]. Since I have never had it replaced, my local oil change shop quoted me $65.00 for an ''Aftermarket'' installed. Not happy with the price I looked it up on the ''Net'' and found an ''Aftermarket'' was $4.95 and it had simple instructions on how to install it.I followed instructions and vacuumed duct. Whole procedure took about 20 mins. Hvac system has much more air flow and my wallet feels better.

I had a dealer try to sell me one and quoted me $90!!! As he was trying to sell it to me, I looked it up on Amazon on my phone, $8.95 shipped. I showed him the phone and he stopped trying to sell me stuff with my oil change. I also told him that I knew how to replace it myself and it takes all of 5 minutes. These places should be ashamed! Trying to charge $90 for something made out of cardboard and paper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom