"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #61
Head Chef

FYI,

There's good reason for the installer to insist on new wiring, flexible gas line, water supply lines etc to assure the warranty.

Should any of these fail the installer risks being held responsible for any subsequent fire, explosion or flood.

That being said there is a markup on these items if the installer has to supply them so the customer is going to pay more for them unless they supply their own.

These items are available at any hardware store and should be covered by the installer/manufacturer warranty as new but that would mean a trip to the hardware store and trying to find knowledgeable help at said store that can assist you in finding just the right part in just the right size/length and configuration.

Not worth the hassle IMO.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
A pigtail is a cord needed to supply electric power to an a appliance be it a garbage disposal, washer, dryer, dishwasher etc.

Sometimes it comes with the appliance and sometimes we have to supply our own.

Its basically an electric cord with a plug on one end and bare wires on the other that have to be hardwired into the appliance.

Attachment 17696
Wow! I can't remember ever buying an appliance that didn't come with the cord/plug. Okay, a long time ago they used to hardwire 220V stuff to the wires in the wall, but I haven't seen that since the '80s.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #63
Head Chef

Very common with many "large" appliances.

Washers, dryers, ranges, range hoods, dishwashers, disposals, heating furnaces, water heaters with electronic ignition......
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Very common with many "large" appliances.

Washers, dryers, ranges, range hoods, dishwashers, disposals, heating furnaces, water heaters with electronic ignition......
Maybe that's one of the differences between the US and Canada.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #65
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
...You have to buy the pigtail new or it voids the warranty....
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Congrats on the new dryer. What's the "pigtail"? Is your dryer gas or electric?
Quote:
A pigtail is a cord needed to supply electric power to an a appliance be it a garbage disposal, washer, dryer, dishwasher etc....
Oh, here I thought you bought a girl dryer MrsLMB! Oops...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Today I learned that the easiest way to get my girls to eat all of their dinner is to make them share the same dish. We had a salad made of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, capers and blackened salmon with home-made honey balsamic vinaigrette. We ate picnic style on a blanket in the living room out of one bowl (as long as nobody is sick we're not big germaphobes). Sproutlet #1 isn't a big meat/fish fan, Sproutlet #2 isn't a fan of greens/lettuce. They both love everything else that was in it. I honestly think they ate much more of what they didn't like they they normally would and without any fussing. I stopped eating 2/3 through and they emptied the bowl.
We won't be eating like this all the time, but a little novelty goes a long way from time to time!
So how did that balsamic/vhoney/mustard vinaigrette come out? Was it tasty? I would bet that it was. And did you use a brown/spicy mustard?

Cullinary minds want to know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Today I learned that the easiest way to get my girls to eat all of their dinner is to make them share the same dish. We had a salad made of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, capers and blackened salmon with home-made honey balsamic vinaigrette. We ate picnic style on a blanket in the living room out of one bowl (as long as nobody is sick we're not big germaphobes). Sproutlet #1 isn't a big meat/fish fan, Sproutlet #2 isn't a fan of greens/lettuce. They both love everything else that was in it. I honestly think they ate much more of what they didn't like they they normally would and without any fussing. I stopped eating 2/3 through and they emptied the bowl.
We won't be eating like this all the time, but a little novelty goes a long way from time to time!
Making mealtime fun is never a bad idea. How did DH take to the idea? Next time let one of them pick the room to eat in as long as it is not the bathroom or the cellar. How about sitting under the table away from all those bad storms out there while they eat popcorn. Arrange the furniture so that a sheet will fit over it and eat in a tent. My kids loved tent living right in the middle of the living room.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Making mealtime fun is never a bad idea. How did DH take to the idea? Next time let one of them pick the room to eat in as long as it is not the bathroom or the cellar. How about sitting under the table away from all those bad storms out there while they eat popcorn. Arrange the furniture so that a sheet will fit over it and eat in a tent. My kids loved tent living right in the middle of the living room.
Tents in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, wherever, I think is a univeral kid joy. If parents join in, well then it's just an amazing thing.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Tents in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, wherever, I think is a universal kid joy. If parents join in, well then it's just an amazing thing.

Remember that parents when you are shopping for those expensive electronic toys this Christmas. Buy them a couple of sheets instead.

So often you hear grownups state that they had more fun when they were kids. And they did. Because they were allowed to use their imagination. I realize we can't send out kids out to play today in the city without worry. But we can't be hovering over them constantly either. In my neighborhood at the end of my street, I see kids out playing all the time. Our building is surrounded by large expanses of grass. The kids like to play ball there. That is fine by me. Some of the residents object. But ask them if they would rather see them join gangs, Horrors! It shuts them up real quick.

I don't think there is anything more joyful than hearing the laughter of children at play. Whether it be in a tent in the living room or outside running on the grass.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #70
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Remember that parents when you are shopping for those expensive electronic toys this Christmas. Buy them a couple of sheets instead.

So often you hear grownups state that they had more fun when they were kids. And they did. Because they were allowed to use their imagination. I realize we can't send out kids out to play today in the city without worry. But we can't be hovering over them constantly either. In my neighborhood at the end of my street, I see kids out playing all the time. Our building is surrounded by large expanses of grass. The kids like to play ball there. That is fine by me. Some of the residents object. But ask them if they would rather see them join gangs, Horrors! It shuts them up real quick.

I don't think there is anything more joyful than hearing the laughter of children at play. Whether it be in a tent in the living room or outside running on the grass.
Addie, you and I, we think a lot alike. And parents who forget how to take joy in childish things are missing out on half the fun of being alive. I may be in the high-side of my 50's, but I still love to play childish games with kids. I still love to build kites, play with modeling clay, throw snowballs, swim, try to dunk my kids in the pool, etc. I've just become more adept with those things over time.