What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mad Cook, his Mom raised his right. Once the kids came along I stayed at home and spoiled him rotten. During his working years I ruined him terribly; now that he's home all time time I'm afraid he's broken. :ermm: That old dog is not interested in relearning old tricks. Perhaps I'll feed him PB&J sandwiches until he pitches in. :LOL:

I have to agree with you Mad Cook. All three of my boys can wield an iron as well as a cast iron pan. They know how to get grease off their hands as well as the dishes.

My youngest just recently bought himself a Euro Pro iron as he does all his own laundry (as well as the family's. His wife hates to iron (You are not alone Kylie) where he loves to do it. Finds it relaxing. Same as I do. They have a Rowenta with a large capacity. but it seemed he would iron just two shirts and would have to fill the iron up again. So the Euro Pro he bought like mine has a very large tank and he can do a weeks worth of shirts before he even bothers to take a look at how much water is in the tank.

Spike does all my vacuuming for me. And when I am not feeling well, will even do up the few dishes that may be in the sink. The Pirate when he comes to see me spends most of the time cleaning the cabinet fronts as well as the whole bathroom. I could follow him around, but it is much easier to yell from room to room. One is married. The other two? Well all I can say is that there are two women out there that are missing out on a good thing. :angel:

Mad Cook, his Mom raised his right. Once the kids came along I stayed at home and spoiled him rotten. During his working years I ruined him terribly; now that he's home all time time I'm afraid he's broken. :ermm: That old dog is not interested in relearning old tricks. Perhaps I'll feed him PB&J sandwiches until he pitches in. :LOL:

And don't forget the paper plates and plastic forks and knives. The real cheap ones. The ones that break half way through the meal and aren't big enough to hold a mouthful. And don't forget the disposable cups. Small ones. Two swallows and the cup is empty. I know all the tricks. Tell him you are trying to economize on dish washing products. :angel:

well said, maddie.

it's the reason why i suggest to all parents of college age kids to boot them out the door asap. but only if the kid gets to live on his or her own. not in a marriage or roommate situation. i know it worked for me when i was 21 or so. i left college for a career, and got my first apartment as soon as i could.

once a person lives alone for a few years, they learn what needs to be done, or else live in a pig sty; one in which they'd be ashamed to bring home a date. and that works equally for males and females. while i kind of knew how my male friends lived by seeing how they act in public, i've been shocked at how disgusting young women can be, as bad as the guys.

Last edited:
well said, maddie.

it's the reason why i suggest to all parents of college age kids to boot them out the door asap. but only if the kid gets to live on his or her own. not in a marriage or roommate situation. i know it worked for me when i was 21 or so. i left college for a career, and got my first apartment as soon as i could.

once a person lives alone for a few years, they learn what needs to be done, or else live in a pig sty; one in which they'd be ashamed to bring home a date. and that works equally for males and females. while i kind of knew how my male friends lived by seeing how they act in public, i've been shocked at how disgusting young women can be, as bad as the guys.

Some of them even worse.

My daughter when she started her menses, (age 12) had a bad habit of leaving her dirty pads on the floor. No amount of yelling did any good. Until one day she was sitting out on the front steps with her friends. I took the dirty pad and went out to her holding it up high. "Did you forget something again?" I hated to do it. I knew it was something she would never forget. But it was the only way I could get through to her. I told her if she thought her male friends were disgusted seeing that, imagine how her brothers felt every time they went into the bathroom and saw that on the floor. Her friends were going to see it only once I hoped, but her brothers had to see it every month. She cleaned up her act and also started to keep her room clean. A bonus that I hadn't expected. Today she can't stand a mess in her home. :angel:

:ohmy: TMI Addie! :ohmy:

Himself lived alone. Himself had a sainted mother who raised him right. He just got dirty rotten spoiled by me and now I'm reaping the fruit I've grown! :LOL:

Wouldn't use paper/plastic plates, glasses, utensils - won't see that at my table because I do not like it. Heck, we usually have cloth napkins too because they are nicer and more cost-efficient than paper.

He has his own skill set. Break anything electronic or have something go wrong with a computer and he can fix it quickly and perfectly.

I think my problem is me. :( When he worked I had no idea when he'd be home. I cooked simpler, reheatable meals. I had everything cleaned up before he got home. Now that he's home all the time and I can time the dinner for when I want it (yeah...still running a late schedule, but at least we aren't eating after midnight) I'm making more complex meals and dirtying more tools. Plus all YOU guys post so many delicious looking foods and make so many excellent suggestions that YOU guys must be the real problem! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

After tossing all these ideas around I think I'll go with simpler meals and fewer ingredients for a while. Need more propane for the grill. :) With less to clean up I'll probably end up with more help, you think? Updates eventually.

The main thing CG is, "If you are happy with your life and living with him the way he is, then go for it!" When I first got married, I would look at other husbands and think, 'I am so glad my husband isn't like that.' Then over the years it came to, 'Just like a man. My husband does the same thing.' Then more years passed and it became, "Why can't my husband be like that?' But there were more times that it was "I am so glad my husband isn't like that." He couldn't have been all that bad. After all he would hold the baby to my breast while I slept. Then change him and put him back to sleep. I once asked him why he put up with me. After all there were days when even I couldn't stand to be me. He gave me the perfect answer.

"You put up with all my foolishness and I put up with yours." Gee, I had never thought of him as being foolish. :angel:

I really have to give credit to the hubby in this area. He always helps out with cleaning up after a meal when I cook & he usually cleans up after he cooks, I don't clean up for his meals like he does for me.

I knew I was going to marry this man on our second date & by the time I went back to see his home I knew 110% that I found a keeper. I honestly thought he had a cleaning lady, his place was THAT clean!

I refuse to make the bed so when we do get to spend the night together I make sure I get up before him so he can make the bed. He hates it that I won't do it but that's my little quirk & he deals with it.

Where I slack, he's strong. Where he slacks, I pick up his slack.

But, to get back to the topic.....what I learned today

I learned that I have a sister who did the same disgusting thing that Addie's daughter use to do. I really do hope my sister grew out of being such a slob.

What I learned today: Writing cookbooks is labor intensive. This is my 5th, and possible best. It's for a local Farmer's Market, and when couple with the pictures I've taken at the market, and foods cooked to show the recipes, it should be a great cookbook with valuable info for those who maybe aren't as well versed. I've gotten 1 critique on what's completed so far, and it was very favorable. But it takes about an hour for two recipes. I've got 24 pages of recipes and techniques so far, and that's just for eggs and fish. I think I'm just completing the fish chapter. Next, I think I'll do a chapter on lamb, pork, and poultry. After that, it should be time for veggies to start showing up in the market. But I want to sell this thing, this year. I've got so many recipes to cook already, so I can place a picture with the recipe. So little time, and not enough cash are the biggest obstacles. And I haven't even proofread it yet! But, it will get done, and will be worth what I charge for it, maybe more. I get to spend about an hour per day on this project, usually, my lunch hour.

Writing in general is labor intensive.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What I learned today: Writing cookbooks is labor intensive. This is my 5th, and possible best. It's for a local Farmer's Market, and when couple with the pictures I've taken at the market, and foods cooked to show the recipes, it should be a great cookbook with valuable info for those who maybe aren't as well versed. I've gotten 1 critique on what's completed so far, and it was very favorable. But it takes about an hour for two recipes. I've got 24 pages of recipes and techniques so far, and that's just for eggs and fish. I think I'm just completing the fish chapter. Next, I think I'll do a chapter on lamb, pork, and poultry. After that, it should be time for veggies to start showing up in the market. But I want to sell this thing, this year. I've got so many recipes to cook already, so I can place a picture with the recipe. So little time, and not enough cash are the biggest obstacles. And I haven't even proofread it yet! But, it will get done, and will be worth what I charge for it, maybe more. I get to spend about an hour per day on this project, usually, my lunch hour.

Writing in general is labor intensive.

Chief do you use a template for your cookbook and if so could you share that information.

I have been working on three different ones, not for sale. A cookbook of family favorites, a food diary that goes week by week through the year and a low cost food pantry book for seniors and singles.

You are correct it is tedious but, if keeps me off the streets! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

\My maternal grandmother did everything for the men in her family even to the extent of cleaning her sons' muddy work boots every day. On my parents' wedding day in 1942, mum's father-in-law took her on one side and said "Don't ever let me see you cleaning your husband's shoes. He's marrying you to look after you - you are not marrying him to be his servant."

My parents had a very good marriage and shared everything fairly. Dad retired before Mum and he took over the running of the household. When he became ill and Mum retired she took over but Dad always tried to do his bit.

I have to confess that I've been spoiled by their example and I am very hard to please. :LOL:

Last edited:
Chief do you use a template for your cookbook and if so could you share that information.

I have been working on three different ones, not for sale. A cookbook of family favorites, a food diary that goes week by week through the year and a low cost food pantry book for seniors and singles.

You are correct it is tedious but, if keeps me off the streets! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Here's the basic outline:

Header with Copyright. Page number in lower right corner of pages.
Title
Introduction
Table of Contents
(made as I create chapters)
Chapter subject (types of foods in chapter, as in Poultry, Red Meat, Veggies, etc.)
Any special Sauces or techniques that will be used in the book
Intro to recipe
Appropriate Pictures
technique

tools
Ingredients
Text explaining procedures

Next Chapter subject (types of foods in chapter, as in Poultry, Red Meat, Veggies, etc.)
Any special Sauces or techniques that will be used in the book
Intro to recipe
Appropriate Pictures
technique

tools
Ingredients
Text explaining procedures

Repeat as needed

Recipe Index
Glossary of Terms

And there you have it, the format of my cookbooks. I like to add conversational sentences into the instructional text, along with anecdotes, light humor, and the occasional pun, just to keep things light, and not like reading a textbook. I also give a bit of the history of recipes, if they have a unique story.

Good luck writing you cookbook. It's sure to become a family heirloom.:D

I like to add conversational sentences into the instructional text, along with anecdotes, light humor, and the occasional pun, just to keep things light, and not like reading a textbook. I also give a bit of the history of recipes, if they have a unique story...

My absolutely favorite cookbook (one of three given to me as a shower gift from a friend's personal collection :wub: ) has a lot of recipes, but not one of them is formatted the usual way. It reads like a novel full of love for friends and food, with the recipes in the body of the "story", maked with a recipe title in bold caps.

If you ever run across the book at a used book store I highly recommend picking it up. It is by Edward Harris Heth; the copy I have is titled "The Wonderful World of Cooking". I googled it and found a few copies on Amazon by that title but also found an entry saying it was reissued under the title of "The Country Kitchen Cookbook". It even has a Kindle version!

My absolutely favorite cookbook (one of three given to me as a shower gift from a friend's personal collection :wub: ) has a lot of recipes, but not one of them is formatted the usual way. It reads like a novel full of love for friends and food, with the recipes in the body of the "story", maked with a recipe title in bold caps.

If you ever run across the book at a used book store I highly recommend picking it up. It is by Edward Harris Heth; the copy I have is titled "The Wonderful World of Cooking". I googled it and found a few copies on Amazon by that title but also found an entry saying it was reissued under the title of "The Country Kitchen Cookbook". It even has a Kindle version!

That is a wonderful cookbook!

If you can find a copy check out the dill crock.

He is kind of a cross between Euell Gibbons and Edna Lewis.

That is a wonderful cookbook!

If you can find a copy check out the dill crock.

He is kind of a cross between Euell Gibbons and Edna Lewis.

I'm looking at it right now! I have the book sitting right on my computer table. I don't use it for cooking much but I have a couple favorite recipes I go to on occasion. This winter I have to sit and read the entire book like a novel. ;)

What I learned years ago:
When purchasing a car, used, or new, from a dealer, laugh at the sticker price. It's inflated to allow the salesman to dicker. You can also find out how much the dealership spent to purchace the new cars on his/her lot, from the manufacturer. That gives you bargaining power. Only uninformed people purchase a car at sticker price.

Example: I was in the market for a used Dodge Caravan, when my children were young. I went to a local dealership and found a vehicle that interested me. DW thought the price was reasonable. I began speaking with the salesman, and pointed out rust bubbles under the paint in a few locations, and worn tread on the tires. I also noticed excessive grease/oil on top of the engine. I said that I would purchase the vehicle at the suggested price, if the rust was removed, and the paint matched against the existing paint, new tires were put on the vehicle, and the gasket that allowed oil seepage was replaced. The dealership happily did the work and accepted my cash.

You can also bargain for big ticket items such as large appliances, such as dishwashers, refrigerators, and other such items, sometimes, even in big ticket stores such as Sears. If they can't lower the price, you can often get them to throw in other items for the price of the appliance. This usually works with furniture stores as well.

The seller's job is to take as much of your money away as you will allow. your job is to hang on to as much of your money as you can, while still paying a fair price. Therein lies the principle of dickering. DW was very surprised how much you can get from a dealership, if you go in with knowledge, and take a good look at what you're purchasing.

Oh, one more thing, if you are truly excite about purchasing something, keep your emotions invisible. That is a surefire way to get the seller to put pressure on you to spend more than you need to. Try to look objective, and like you know what you are doing. Remember, if they can take more cash away from you, they will.

I would trust a good, local, known mechanic to not overcharge me. Their is still integrity in the world. But it rarely exists in dealerships, or big business, at least as I've observed.

Unfortunately I hate bargaining.

Luckily, I have solved the mechanic and car buying. I have a Volvo. I was rear ended in my first Volvo and that made me a believer. ;). A friend recommended Swedish Auto. The owner and most of the employees have worked for Volvo. They are competent and really nice.

They also sell used Volvos. They don't over inflate the prices for me.

I know a professional car inspector and always pay to have him check out a car I am considering buying. He also checks if the price is reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom