"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
CG, I have always said that a parent has several jobs....

...And the fourth was to remind your child every so often that you are not their friend all the time. Most of the time you are the parent.
Agreed. There is plenty of time to be "friends" when they are all grown-up. Or at least adults. I think it's the memories that you build when they are kids that make the friendship when they are grown and gone. We saw way more basketball games or ate way too many spaghetti noodles when our kids were young (not to mention the 20-mile-each-way drive to the community theatre several times a week for play rehearsal) but it's those kind of times spent together that build the friendship for later. I must brag that our kids like hanging around with us now! Seems like your kids do too.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #82
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess

Oh, here I thought you bought a girl dryer MrsLMB! Oops...
Laughing! Laughing! Laughing!

The were originally called pigtails because they came in a coiled configuration.

In the interest of good taste I'll leave the rest to your imagination!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #83
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess

Agreed. There is plenty of time to be "friends" when they are all grown-up. Or at least adults. I think it's the memories that you build when they are kids that make the friendship when they are grown and gone.
THANK YOU!

So many of today's parents don't recognize that their primary objective is to raise their childten to be responsible, caring, productive and humble members of society.

So many "parents" indulge their children to a degree that once they fledge they become everyone else's problem.

At times in my young life I resented my parents ("I hate you", "I didn't ask to be born", "but Kevin's parents let him....", ... you know, typical adolescent and teenage angst.

I thought I knew it all. It's amazing how smart my folks became once I moved into the real world!

Dad has passed but we're so blessed that Mom is still with us.

She has always been the very foundation of our family and there is no one I love and respect more.

Cheers to to Mom's!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
THANK YOU!

So many of today's parents don't recognize that their primary objective is to raise their childten to be responsible, caring, productive and humble members of society.

So many "parents" indulge their children to a degree that once they fledge they become everyone else's problem.

At times in my young life I resented my parents ("I hate you", "I didn't ask to be born", "but Kevin's parents let him....", ... you know, typical adolescent and teenage angst.

I thought I knew it all. It's amazing how smart my folks became once I moved into the real world!

Dad has passed but we're so blessed that Mom is still with us.

She has always been the very foundation of our family and there is no one I love and respect more.

Cheers to to Mom's!!!!
+1

And, thank you too! I couldn't agree with you more on your entire post.

Love, love, love your Mom. My mom was the foundation of our family too, and I am lost without her. She has been gone now for over two years, and I still cry often when I have something to share with her that I cannot. She was wonderful at being the mom when I was a kid, and wonderful at changing to the friend when I became an adult. I understand (and relate to) your saying that you love and respect your mom more than anyone.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #85
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
...My mom was the foundation of our family too, and I am lost without her. She has been gone now for over two years, and I still cry often when I have something to share with her that I cannot...
I hate to tell you this chopper, but I think that feeling never ends. My Mom's gone 13 years, Dad was 21 years in December. I still wish I could call Mom up after a good baseball game or to invite her and Dad over for the day...and have my Dad show up with the box of donuts in his hand. Donuts haven't tasted the same since he's gone... *sigh*
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
+1

Love, love, love your Mom.
Growing up, my mom was my best friend. As I moved into my twenties, she was my best friend, ditto in my thirties. In my forties, she started to lose her mind. Today she knew it was me when I called. Today's call was a good call. I miss my mom. But it is nice that every so often, she comes out of her fog and knows it is me. When I was in graduate school, my mom and dad would cross off the days on the calendar until I would be home again (it was a really profound feeling to see those red "x"es on the calendar). I now cross off the days on the calendar until I'm home again--only eight more sleeps!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

I always told my kids that when you turn 25 your attitude toward me will change. We will be better friends. You can hate me all you want. You are supposed to. You are right on track in your development.

Sure enough, come their 25th year and they suddenly started to act like adults. And they always remembered that magical number. 25! Because when their kids were in their teens, they too couldn't wait until they turned 25.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #88
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Growing up, my mom was my best friend. As I moved into my twenties, she was my best friend, ditto in my thirties. In my forties, she started to lose her mind. Today she knew it was me when I called. Today's call was a good call. I miss my mom. But it is nice that every so often, she comes out of her fog and knows it is me. When I was in graduate school, my mom and dad would cross off the days on the calendar until I would be home again (it was a really profound feeling to see those red "x"es on the calendar). I now cross off the days on the calendar until I'm home again--only eight more sleeps!
Moms the best thing in the whole world...aside from Dads.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Moms the best thing in the whole world...aside from Dads.
It was my dad who told me, when I stressing about my comprehensives, that even if I just barely passed, I would still be able to put those letters after my name. Doctors who graduate at the bottom their class are still doctors. Sometimes, he comes up with really profound things. And, I know he loves me best. I am his north, his south, his east, his west. He is not supposed to have a favorite, but I'm it.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It was my dad who told me, when I stressing about my comprehensives, that even if I just barely passed, I would still be able to put those letters after my name. Doctors who graduate at the bottom their class are still doctors. Sometimes, he comes up with really profound things. And, I know he loves me best. I am his north, his south, his east, his west. He is not supposed to have a favorite, but I'm it.
Mine has always been there for me...even when we went through my teen years and thought he was a jerk.