What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
\

:wacko: I always am wiping down my gasket in the fridge. At least once a month. And I am always surprised at how much dirt and yuk have collected in that time. My cutting part on my can opener comes off for a complete cleaning in hot soapy water and a good scrubbing with a kitchen scrub brush I keep at sink side. I really need to get one piece rubber spatulas. The two-parters are very difficult to clean. One of the areas I find that needs constant cleaning is 'in back of the faucet.' We wipe down the handles, and the faucet everytime we clean. But that tiny space between the faucet base and the back splash collects a bunch of crap. I do keep a very large supply of scrubby sponges. When one get too yucky looking, I just toss it. I know, you can put it in the MW to kill all germs. :angel:
I've always eyed my can opener with suspicion lol.

I'm really big on keeping my food prep areas clean. I buy the Lysol wipes in bulk. I feel guilty though as I feel like those are wasteful, so I try to rinse each one after use and use it to wipe something that just needs wiped vs sanitized, like the lid to the dog food container or the tile behind the sink.

Every once in a while the paranoid part of my brain puts a little Soft Scrub Gel with bleach on my dishbrush and makes me scrub the cutting wheel. I do wash it with dish detergent (and a different scrubber) after every use. Don't want traces of tomatoes mixing in with canned fruit.

I'm really big on keeping my food prep areas clean. I buy the Lysol wipes in bulk. I feel guilty though as I feel like those are wasteful, so I try to rinse each one after use and use it to wipe something that just needs wiped vs sanitized, like the lid to the dog food container or the tile behind the sink.

Have you ever taken a really good look at the blade on your can opener? Everytime you open a can, food is left behind on it. My son gave me a Hamilton Beach. The whole top comes off for a complete cleaning. The blade is stainless steel. I still have my manual one. And that is due to be replaced. It is very difficult to keep that blade clean. That blade is made of aluminum. :angel:

Every once in a while the paranoid part of my brain puts a little Soft Scrub Gel with bleach on my dishbrush and makes me scrub the cutting wheel. I do wash it with dish detergent (and a different scrubber) after every use. Don't want traces of tomatoes mixing in with canned fruit.

I opened a can of beans this morning. My cutter head is sitting on the counter waiting for a good scrubbing. Lots of bean juice on it. :angel:

One cap of bleach to 1 gallon of water sanitizes as good as the Lysol wipes. And it's much cheaper!

One cap of bleach to 1 gallon of water sanitizes as good as the Lysol wipes. And it's much cheaper!
Bleach fumes, any at all, is an instant headache and nausea for me. That goes for all commercial household cleaners except furniture polish (no idea why that is the exception). I use either dishsoap, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or baking soda to clean. None of that sanitizes though, hence the Lysol wipes.

It's a sensitivity I didn't develop until later in life. It didn't bother me when I was younger. I can't really handle perfumes and air fresheners, either.

Ah! Then looks like the Lysol wipes are it! Was hoping to save you some money to spend on chocolate or something.:)

What I learned today; [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chocolate couverture is your friend. I've never used it, but have eaten it. From what I understand, the chocolate used to enrobe See's Candy pieces is a [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]couverture made by Guitarde. I may have to purchase some of that the next time I want to make a batch of chocolate candy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I learned that chickens like to roll down the gentle slope of the septic-field "hill." I looked out several times, and there were chickens rolling down the side of the septic-field hill. Penny started it, and several others followed. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Chickens seem to have a spirit of play--and, according to a friend, her chickens can swim (but only if it is really, really hot outside). Who knew?

I learned that chickens like to roll down the gentle slope of the septic-field "hill." I looked out several times, and there were chickens rolling down the side of the septic-field hill. Penny started it, and several others followed. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Chickens seem to have a spirit of play--and, according to a friend, her chickens can swim (but only if it is really, really hot outside). Who knew?

Great story. It reminds me that we had a dog who loved to ride sleds down snowy slopes. The kids would go sledding in nearby gravel and sand pits. The dog would go with them. They'd slide down, with the dog on the plastic tabogan, and she would grab the rope of the sled and race up the hill faster than the kids could climb it. She'd then slide down by herself, and meet with them at the top for another ride down with them. It was a hoot to watch. She was such a great pet, full of play, and fun, and love. One of the best dogs I ever had either as a kid, or as an adult. There were two others that were as good, one better, but only because he was mine, and obeyed me implicitly.

Never heard of chickens doing anything but eating, picking on each other, and being fierce predators when the opportunity arose. I once saw a mouse try to navigate our hen house, many years back. Seconds later, and I do mean seconds, there wasn't a scrap left of that mouse. He made great chicken feed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm reminded of a documentary I once watched. A chicken had been given a clutch of duck eggs to brood. Of course, those ducklings thought she was their mother and the hen thought the ducklings were here babies. While they were quite little and fluffy, she took them for a walk near a pond. OMG, you should have seen that poor chicken when her babies all walked into the pond for a swim.

I'm reminded of a documentary I once watched. A chicken had been given a clutch of duck eggs to brood. Of course, those ducklings thought she was their mother and the hen thought the ducklings were here babies. While they were quite little and fluffy, she took them for a walk near a pond. OMG, you should have seen that poor chicken when her babies all walked into the pond for a swim.
I can just imagine! If she was a good mother hen, she probably was beside herself!

I would seriously crack up laughing if I ever saw a chicken play. I bet that was a real site.

I learned that my new puppy, also named Penny, likes ice cream as much as my other girl, Smokey, does. I drove almost 100 miles altogether to my favorite hot dog/ice cream stand & it was well worth it. I should have ate two!

Ah! Then looks like the Lysol wipes are it! Was hoping to save you some money to spend on chocolate or something.:)

I appreciate the effort. I'm always looking for ways to save money (single mom here). Although not using other commercial household cleaners means I don't spend much at all to clean. It just takes a little more "elbow grease," and that's free! Lol

I appreciate the effort. I'm always looking for ways to save money (single mom here). Although not using other commercial household cleaners means I don't spend much at all to clean. It just takes a little more "elbow grease," and that's free! Lol

This woman has saved me thousands of dollars over my lifetime and I have had fun doing it!

You can still find her books online and although they are getting old now the concepts are still valid.

What Ever Happened to Amy Dacyzyn of The Tightwad Gazette?

Today I learned that you can't just go buy a new dryer for the advertised price.

We finally got around to going out and picking one up after our smoke out last week.

You have to buy the pigtail new or it voids the warranty. You have to buy the ducting new or it voids the warranty. If you want everything covered you have to buy the special super duper extra warranty that will even pay you if something happens and you use a laundromat.

Sale price - save $75.00

Extras to not void warranty - $65.00

Super duper all inclusive extra warranty - $130.00

Final price .. more than the original price of the dryer LOL

But it's new .. it works and best of all it doesn't fill my house with black noxious smoke !!!

A pigtail is a cord needed to supply electric power to an a appliance be it a garbage disposal, washer, dryer, dishwasher etc.

Sometimes it comes with the appliance and sometimes we have to supply our own.

Its basically an electric cord with a plug on one end and bare wires on the other that have to be hardwired into the appliance.

ForumRunner_20130416_184516.jpg

A pigtail is a cord needed to supply electric power to an a appliance be it a garbage disposal, washer, dryer, dishwasher etc.

Sometimes it comes with the appliance and sometimes we have to supply our own.

Its basically an electric cord with a plug on one end and bare wires on the other that have to be hardwired into the appliance.

View attachment 17696

Yep .. what he said !

Today I learned that the easiest way to get my girls to eat all of their dinner is to make them share the same dish. We had a salad made of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, capers and blackened salmon with home-made honey balsamic vinaigrette. We ate picnic style on a blanket in the living room out of one bowl (as long as nobody is sick we're not big germaphobes). Sproutlet #1 isn't a big meat/fish fan, Sproutlet #2 isn't a fan of greens/lettuce. They both love everything else that was in it. I honestly think they ate much more of what they didn't like they they normally would and without any fussing. I stopped eating 2/3 through and they emptied the bowl.
We won't be eating like this all the time, but a little novelty goes a long way from time to time!

Back
Top Bottom