What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG, I have always said that a parent has several jobs....

...And the fourth was to remind your child every so often that you are not their friend all the time. Most of the time you are the parent. :angel:

Agreed. There is plenty of time to be "friends" when they are all grown-up. Or at least adults.;) I think it's the memories that you build when they are kids that make the friendship when they are grown and gone. We saw way more basketball games or ate way too many spaghetti noodles when our kids were young (not to mention the 20-mile-each-way drive to the community theatre several times a week for play rehearsal) but it's those kind of times spent together that build the friendship for later. I must brag that our kids like hanging around with us now! Seems like your kids do too.

Cooking Goddess said:
Oh, here I thought you bought a girl dryer MrsLMB! Oops...

Laughing! Laughing! Laughing!

The were originally called pigtails because they came in a coiled configuration.

In the interest of good taste I'll leave the rest to your imagination!

Cooking Goddess said:
Agreed. There is plenty of time to be "friends" when they are all grown-up. Or at least adults.;) I think it's the memories that you build when they are kids that make the friendship when they are grown and gone.

THANK YOU!

So many of today's parents don't recognize that their primary objective is to raise their childten to be responsible, caring, productive and humble members of society.

So many "parents" indulge their children to a degree that once they fledge they become everyone else's problem.

At times in my young life I resented my parents ("I hate you", "I didn't ask to be born", "but Kevin's parents let him....", ... you know, typical adolescent and teenage angst.

I thought I knew it all. It's amazing how smart my folks became once I moved into the real world!

Dad has passed but we're so blessed that Mom is still with us.

She has always been the very foundation of our family and there is no one I love and respect more.

Cheers to to Mom's!!!!

THANK YOU!

So many of today's parents don't recognize that their primary objective is to raise their childten to be responsible, caring, productive and humble members of society.

So many "parents" indulge their children to a degree that once they fledge they become everyone else's problem.

At times in my young life I resented my parents ("I hate you", "I didn't ask to be born", "but Kevin's parents let him....", ... you know, typical adolescent and teenage angst.

I thought I knew it all. It's amazing how smart my folks became once I moved into the real world!

Dad has passed but we're so blessed that Mom is still with us.

She has always been the very foundation of our family and there is no one I love and respect more.

Cheers to to Mom's!!!!
+1

And, thank you too! I couldn't agree with you more on your entire post.

Love, love, love your Mom. My mom was the foundation of our family too, and I am lost without her. She has been gone now for over two years, and I still cry often when I have something to share with her that I cannot. She was wonderful at being the mom when I was a kid, and wonderful at changing to the friend when I became an adult. I understand (and relate to) your saying that you love and respect your mom more than anyone.

...My mom was the foundation of our family too, and I am lost without her. She has been gone now for over two years, and I still cry often when I have something to share with her that I cannot...

I hate to tell you this chopper, but I think that feeling never ends. My Mom's gone 13 years, Dad was 21 years in December. I still wish I could call Mom up after a good baseball game or to invite her and Dad over for the day...and have my Dad show up with the box of donuts in his hand. Donuts haven't tasted the same since he's gone... *sigh*

+1

Love, love, love your Mom.
Growing up, my mom was my best friend. As I moved into my twenties, she was my best friend, ditto in my thirties. In my forties, she started to lose her mind. Today she knew it was me when I called. Today's call was a good call. I miss my mom. But it is nice that every so often, she comes out of her fog and knows it is me. When I was in graduate school, my mom and dad would cross off the days on the calendar until I would be home again (it was a really profound feeling to see those red "x"es on the calendar). I now cross off the days on the calendar until I'm home again--only eight more sleeps!

I always told my kids that when you turn 25 your attitude toward me will change. We will be better friends. You can hate me all you want. You are supposed to. You are right on track in your development.

Sure enough, come their 25th year and they suddenly started to act like adults. And they always remembered that magical number. 25! Because when their kids were in their teens, they too couldn't wait until they turned 25. :angel:

Growing up, my mom was my best friend. As I moved into my twenties, she was my best friend, ditto in my thirties. In my forties, she started to lose her mind. Today she knew it was me when I called. Today's call was a good call. I miss my mom. But it is nice that every so often, she comes out of her fog and knows it is me. When I was in graduate school, my mom and dad would cross off the days on the calendar until I would be home again (it was a really profound feeling to see those red "x"es on the calendar). I now cross off the days on the calendar until I'm home again--only eight more sleeps!

Moms the best thing in the whole world...aside from Dads.

Moms the best thing in the whole world...aside from Dads.
It was my dad who told me, when I stressing about my comprehensives, that even if I just barely passed, I would still be able to put those letters after my name. Doctors who graduate at the bottom their class are still doctors. Sometimes, he comes up with really profound things. And, I know he loves me best. I am his north, his south, his east, his west. He is not supposed to have a favorite, but I'm it.

It was my dad who told me, when I stressing about my comprehensives, that even if I just barely passed, I would still be able to put those letters after my name. Doctors who graduate at the bottom their class are still doctors. Sometimes, he comes up with really profound things. And, I know he loves me best. I am his north, his south, his east, his west. He is not supposed to have a favorite, but I'm it.

Mine has always been there for me...even when we went through my teen years and thought he was a jerk.

Today I learned that you can't just go buy a new dryer for the advertised price.

We finally got around to going out and picking one up after our smoke out last week.

You have to buy the pigtail new or it voids the warranty. You have to buy the ducting new or it voids the warranty. If you want everything covered you have to buy the special super duper extra warranty that will even pay you if something happens and you use a laundromat.

Sale price - save $75.00

Extras to not void warranty - $65.00

Super duper all inclusive extra warranty - $130.00

Final price .. more than the original price of the dryer LOL

But it's new .. it works and best of all it doesn't fill my house with black noxious smoke !!!

Interesting. That's not a requirement here in New Mexico.

I've never heard of a pigtail.

My boyfriend is from Washington and had never heard of appliances that use natural gas. His parents don't have a gas bill. I DO NOT cook on electric. No how no way. So a gas bill WE will have! (My stove and dryer are gas).

As for moms, I've never been very close to mine. She didn't raise me. Closest thing I had to a steady parent figure was my great grandma. Mostly I was just shuffled from one relative to another. I became independent a lot earlier than most. At least by "modern" standards anyway.

I learned how to say no. It's about time too lol!

I also learned that spraying Doom Insect Spray onto glue that messed on clothing and rubbing gently will remove the glue. Wash after.

I use Doom to remove labels from glass jars but never thought of trying it on clothes.

I learned how to say no. It's about time too lol!

I also learned that spraying Doom Insect Spray onto glue that messed on clothing and rubbing gently will remove the glue. Wash after.

I use Doom to remove labels from glass jars but never thought of trying it on clothes.

It would be better if you could find a less toxic solution to your stain problems. Do you have a product called Goo Gone?

It would be better if you could find a less toxic solution to your stain problems. Do you have a product called Goo Gone?

for any oil-based stain, Dawn Dishwashing liquid works wonders. Your "Doom" product probably contains solvents to carry the insecticide, and that's what is removing the stain. As Andy said, GooGone is a wonderful stain remover for sticky stains, such as gum, tars, etc. Gum is made from starches and rubber. The sovent disolves the rubber, and the starches wash away with water. Many household glues are carried by solvents as well. When the solvent completely evaporates, the glue is cured, or dry. Apply new solvent, like fingernail polish remover, toluene, or acetone, or witch hazel, and the glue re-disolves, and if enough solvent is used, dilutes and is easily removed.

These products must be used in a well ventilated area. And ferequent exposure to the skin is not a good thing. Wear gloves.

This generally won't work with epoxy, and a few other glues. For protein based glues, like Elmer's Glue, water will dissolve them.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you Andy and Chief but we don't have either of the products you mentioned.

I only use it to remove outside labels from glass jars and sticky stains on clothes. I wash the clothes well after as well as the jars and never take the lid off the jars while using it.
I'm very careful.
Nail polish remover is fine for labels but it bleaches the clothes.

Make do with what I have I guess :)

This past weekend I learned that a 22 year old young man hiking the Appalachian Trail has two hollow legs. :ohmy:

When our son was in high school and playing sports every semester his appetite was huge. Our daugher was also very active (they both are to this day) and could almost keep up with her brother. My friend who was over this weekend could eat both of them under the table! We went out to eat after church and before we took him back to the AT. He ordered and ate a choice that Himself and I would have had to split. Then he had the 1/3 of my brunch I was unable to eat before I got full. When I asked if he was full yet he said "hmm, I'm getting there". :ermm: I am so glad I don't have to feed this guy on a regular basis! :LOL:

This past weekend I learned that a 22 year old young man hiking the Appalachian Trail has two hollow legs. :ohmy:

When our son was in high school and playing sports every semester his appetite was huge. Our daugher was also very active (they both are to this day) and could almost keep up with her brother. My friend who was over this weekend could eat both of them under the table! We went out to eat after church and before we took him back to the AT. He ordered and ate a choice that Himself and I would have had to split. Then he had the 1/3 of my brunch I was unable to eat before I got full. When I asked if he was full yet he said "hmm, I'm getting there". :ermm: I am so glad I don't have to feed this guy on a regular basis! :LOL:

I've never seen a fat hiker, at least not one who hikes seriously. So why did I quite hiking again?:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Today I learned to not push myself too far. Usually Spike does my vacuuming. But I wanted to get it done. Wrong move. My sternum bone is really hurting and I got out of breath so quickly. I was determined to get the whole room done all at once. I should have done it in sections taking a break between. Lesson learned. But at least it is done except for one little corner. I even cleaned the vent for the AC. :angel:

Today I learned my car has a cabin air filter, for the hvac system that should of been changed frequently depending on mileage and air quality in my area.[About once a year]. Since I have never had it replaced, my local oil change shop quoted me $65.00 for an ''Aftermarket'' installed. Not happy with the price I looked it up on the ''Net'' and found an ''Aftermarket'' was $4.95 and it had simple instructions on how to install it.I followed instructions and vacuumed duct. Whole procedure took about 20 mins. Hvac system has much more air flow and my wallet feels better.

Back
Top Bottom