What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I thought this might be fun for a thread. Let me know if there is one already in existence. Have you ever learned something, whether trivial or more significant, and just wanted to tell someone about it? This is a place to share any of those moments you've had in the kitchen today. It can be an epiphany, something you learned the hard way, a quirk you just noticed, whatever you learned.

For example, today I learned that chopping seven cloves of garlic is much easier than chopping a single clove of garlic.
I also learned that a 4 1/2 second pour from my olive oil cruet is approximately one tablespoon.
On Sunday I learned (again) that I always, always, always need to set a timer when I put something in the oven. No, I will not remember what time I put it in, or probably even to check it.

Anyone else learn anything in the kitchen today? (or recently)

I learned that a couple of packets of gravy mix can save an overcooked meat loaf. Spike made one and fell asleep. He brought me a very large piece. I made the gravy and put the meatloaf in the pan to absorb the gravy. Came out perfect. :angel:

I learned that I cannot handle 1/4 tsp of cayenne in my curried tuna salad. I also learned how to fix the rest of it, added more mayo, lemon juice and diced sweet peppers.

I learned that a couple of packets of gravy mix can save an overcooked meat loaf. Spike made one and fell asleep. He brought me a very large piece. I made the gravy and put the meatloaf in the pan to absorb the gravy. Came out perfect. :angel:
Good save!

I learned to never try and cook something after coming back from sitting in the dentist's office for 2 1/2 hours, on 3 hours of sleep, getting pricked with countless, painful needles, being drilled and drilled and still feeling pain, then getting pricked with more needles, and feeling sore all night....all for a damn crown.

Last edited:
merstar, that sounds like a hellish day. Hope you feel better soon. And that the crown was on a tooth where it will actually get shown off!

I've learned that one of those little soap-filled dishbrushes (the one that looks like a mushroom with a very bristly stem) filled with Soft Scrub Gel with bleach is great for cleaning the sink and/or sinkmat. I also use it to clean any plastic cutting board I've used for meat before I put it into the dishwasher.

I've learned that I cannot get the smell of onion/garlic/potato out of my hands for days no matter what I've tried. For a couple bucks I can buy a box of food service gloves at my grocery store and not worry about smelly hands ever again.

I've learned that no matter how yummy my dinner tasted I still can't get my hubby to wash dishes... *sigh*

merstar, that sounds like a hellish day. Hope you feel better soon. And that the crown was on a tooth where it will actually get shown off!

I've learned that one of those little soap-filled dishbrushes (the one that looks like a mushroom with a very bristly stem) filled with Soft Scrub Gel with bleach is great for cleaning the sink and/or sinkmat. I also use it to clean any plastic cutting board I've used for meat before I put it into the dishwasher.

I've learned that I cannot get the smell of onion/garlic/potato out of my hands for days no matter what I've tried. For a couple bucks I can buy a box of food service gloves at my grocery store and not worry about smelly hands ever again.

I've learned that no matter how yummy my dinner tasted I still can't get my hubby to wash dishes... *sigh*

Washing your hands just using a stainless steel spoon will help to get rid of that garlic/onion odor.

Start using paper plates for hubby. Since you are the one to do the dishes, you get to use regular plates. Why create more work for yourself? :angel:

Addie, I've used the spoon, no luck. I've got two of those stainless "potatoes" (my SIL didn't know I had one when she got me one) and neither of them do a thing. I have scrubbed my hands with lemon or lemon and salt and still smell. I think I've tried every permutation of hand soap-nope. The gloves have been my saving!

And it's not plates that need washing - we have a nice, quiet Bosch that does that. It's all my good quality pots and pans and my cast iron that gets hand washed. They still feel greasy to me after he does them, plus he'd use soapy water on my decades-cured pans. Besides, he wouldn't mind the paper plates.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the good wishes, Cooking Goddess! Unfortunately, the tooth is in the back and really can't be seen. But, luckily, I feel better today!

Great tips - I'll have to look for those dish brushes. Yeah, I can't get the garlic smell out of my fingers for days and days either, and I use a lot of garlic - Great idea to use the gloves. The spoon doesn't work for me either.

Tell your husband if he wants a great dinner, he'll have to do the dishes - otherwise, it's McDonald's! LOL

Last edited:
Today I learned that I just simply no longer have the patience to go into Walmart at the noon hour:( Normally I go early in the morning or late at night and it's fairly quick in and quick out. Today when I got there I should have known I was in trouble ... no parking even close. I parked the equivalent of a city block away. So many people and they all seemed to have their angry on. Pushing, grumbling .. one lady took something out of my buggy because she couldn't find it on her own :ohmy:

I did survive the trip but it's definitely back to my normal early or late hours when I need to go to Wally World.

Today I learned that I just simply no longer have the patience to go into Walmart at the noon hour:( Normally I go early in the morning or late at night and it's fairly quick in and quick out. Today when I got there I should have known I was in trouble ... no parking even close. I parked the equivalent of a city block away. So many people and they all seemed to have their angry on. Pushing, grumbling .. one lady took something out of my buggy because she couldn't find it on her own :ohmy:
I did survive the trip but it's definitely back to my normal early or late hours when I need to go to Wally World.

And that is why Spike takes me food shopping as soon as the doors are unlocked. Sometimes we are the first ones in the door in the morning. Plenty of parking, and all the shelves are stocked. And no crowds. You have to love it. :angel:

Oh! Rubbing your hands on stainless steel after cutting onions and then washing makes the smell go away!!! Try it. It works. They sell stainless "bars" that look like soap, but I just rub my hands on my stainless sink. Works like a charm. :)

Oh! Rubbing your hands on stainless steel after cutting onions and then washing makes the smell go away!!! Try it. It works. They sell stainless "bars" that look like soap, but I just rub my hands on my stainless sink. Works like a charm. :)

chopper, I've tried that several times. Have two of those bars, nothing works. I have weird skin! The gloves are cheap enough, my regular grocery store has them most of the time, and when they are on sale I stock up.

chopper, I've tried that several times. Have two of those bars, nothing works. I have weird skin! The gloves are cheap enough, my regular grocery store has them most of the time, and when they are on sale I stock up.

Well, then, you just have to be our garlic-scented goddess! No problem, we love you anyway, and we all probably smell the same as you do!

Even when I have gloves I forget to put them on so I am glad the stainless thing works for me. :)

One more idea, I had the same problem, have several of the stainless bars, too. I finally bought some Softsoap Kitchen Fresh Hands, it's the only thing that has worked for me. I wear gloves at work all day, would hate it if I had to come home and wear gloves some more.:wacko:

And it takes that icky smell out of dishcloths, too!

Back
Top Bottom