"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I thought it was a dry fried dumpling, I think most asian restaurants call them gyoza?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #32
Head Chef

There are lots of names for basically the same critter--meat/veggies wrapped in a wheat dough shell. Italians call them ravioli, Korea has mandu, Japanese say gyoza, Tibetans eat momo, China has potstickers (and a million other kinds!). Maybe pierogis fit in the this class, too? Some are steamed, some fried, some cooked in sauce.

I don't care what you call them, just bring me a plateful!!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
There are lots of names for basically the same critter--meat/veggies wrapped in a wheat dough shell. Italians call them ravioli, Korea has mandu, Japanese say gyoza, Tibetans eat momo, China has potstickers (and a million other kinds!). Maybe pierogis fit in the this class, too? Some are steamed, some fried, some cooked in sauce.

and the polish call them pierogi lol.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The pot stickers are in the middle, the method I was taught is to put a little oil in a frying pan, fry the bottom side only till it is crisp and golden the add some water and put a lid on the pan.When the steam stops shooting out from under the lid they are done, I love a shredded ginger and vinegar dipping sauce with them.
Attachment 11609
I think the ones shown in your picture are "fried buns" which are pot stickers with leavened dough. But same technique.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
Executive Chef

latvian pirogies (which are at the top of my 5 can't live withouts) are not dumplings. they are oven baked bread rolls filled with bacon, ham, onion and black pepper.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #36
Master Chef

For me, a "potsticker" is a small Chinese dumpling filled with your choice of minced or ground vegetables, meat, poultry, &/or seafood; then steamed or simmered in water & ultimately fried on the bottom (which initially makes them "stick" to the pan, thus the name "potsticker".

What I usually do is use a large deep skillet with a cover & fill it with an inch or two of water & a couple of dollops of oil which I bring to a simmer. The dumplings go in rounded-side down for a few minutes covered, then are flipped over, uncovered, & allowed to cook until the water evaporates & the dumplings' flat bottoms develop a light golden crust. (Sometimes I'll add a little more oil if necessary.)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

You forgot empenada!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
to everyone: sorry if I sounded like AH.. My intention is to share what I know about pot sticker, but I don't know how to do it without offending people, since I apparently offended someone by posting my pizza technique. I wish there's a sub forum where you can just post your own recipes or something, without assuming yourself an expert.
I can't wait to see how you make Chinese pizza.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #39
Master Chef

Same thing with tacos. We've got American tacos and authentic Mexican tacos. I like them both.
As for shumais and gyozas I usually have them at Japanese restaurants and they're prepared and served in the traditional manner. I don't think I've ever had them in any other variation as I never have these at home.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Same thing with tacos. We've got American tacos and authentic Mexican tacos. I like them both.
As for shumais and gyozas I usually have them at Japanese restaurants and they're prepared and served in the traditional manner.
the difference between shumais and dumplings in northern part of china, is that shumais filling contains rice. but apparently the cantonese shumais don't have rice in them.