What is a potsticker to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't wait to see how you make Chinese pizza. :LOL:
in fact in China there's nothing that looks like pizza, at least to my knowledge. if they make a dough with some kind of filling, the filling will almost always inside the dough, not on top :) except desserts and pastry, that is

There's nothing in Mexico that looks like pizza either, but that never stops restaurants from offering Mexican pizza.

BTW, it wasn't the Americans that bastardized Chinese food, it was the Chinese immigrants during the gold rush and while building the railroads, who had to make do with American ingredients to make their traditional dishes.

pizza topped with sweet lap chong sausage slices, same slices of chinese broccoli, etc. yeah, I'd like to see hyp's take on an authentic Chinese pizza, too! cheese will be a conundrum.... I'd also like to see a pizza with the following thematic ingredients: purple, alien, and giraffe.

I am also always on the lookout for new dumpling filling recipes. (especially, with shrimp)

I pretty much just wing my dumpling fillings. Husband doesn't eat red meat products, so I use ground chicken, ground turkey, or shrimp or boneless fish filets that I grind up in the food processor. To these I add a dash of dry sherry, a dash of egg white, & whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for - minced fresh coriander, garlic, ginger, scallion or shallots, bok chow leaves, red bell pepper, soaked fermented black beans, etc., etc. I normally don't add heat (like chilis) to the filling, as I prefer to use them in the dipping sauce.

Regardless of what you use, you want to end up with a texture that resembles what you'd want if you were making meatballs - neither too dry nor too wet. And taste-testing is definitely helpful - although NOT RAW. Not only is that a definite health hazard, but the raw filling is not going to taste anything like the filling when it's cooked, so you're really not accomplishing anything by tasting it raw. Simple take a small skillet with a little oil & saute up a tablespoon or so of the filling until cooked & taste it. Then adjust your seasonings if necessary.

pizza topped with sweet lap chong sausage slices, same slices of chinese broccoli, etc. yeah, I'd like to see hyp's take on an authentic Chinese pizza, too! cheese will be a conundrum.... I'd also like to see a pizza with the following thematic ingredients: purple, alien, and giraffe.

I am also always on the lookout for new dumpling filling recipes. (especially, with shrimp)
you should definitely try this classic combination from my home town: mackerel and chinese chives

spork said:

I personally am not a pizza topping but if I run accross any giraffe meat at the supermarket I'll work on that. I think a pizza made with giraffe would qualify as being alien so then I just have to toss on some eggplant and we'd be all set. :D

I'd also use eggplant, p.a.g., a small japanese one shaped like a banana... I'd imbed a red bean for an eye and garnish cut one end into a mouth with sharp fangs, dripping mozarella... another long banana of chicken neck (yum!) stripped of its meat and scattered about the pizza pie, to give the eggplant head a skeletal neck... small, irregular rounds of sliced black truffles in giraffe jigsaw... marinara, moz, parm, and splatter of blood red pepper flakes. heehee.

I'd also use eggplant, p.a.g., a small japanese one shaped like a banana... I'd imbed a red bean for an eye and garnish cut one end into a mouth with sharp fangs, dripping mozarella... another long banana of chicken neck (yum!) stripped of its meat and scattered about the pizza pie, to give the eggplant head a skeletal neck... small, irregular rounds of sliced black truffles in giraffe jigsaw... marinara, moz, parm, and splatter of blood red pepper flakes. heehee.

:LOL: That reminds me of the meatloaf volcano my dad made once. He used mexican style seasonings in it and formed it into the shape of a volcano. Then he put it on a cookie sheet spread with refried beans and used red enchilada sauce and shredded cheese to make lava. He stuck stocks of broccoli into the beans and made people out of vienna sausages and toothpicks to be doomed by the erupting volcano.

He was also one to make smiley face pancakes.

P.S. If you make that pizza, please post a picture. I'd love to see it.

I think the ones shown in your picture are "fried buns" which are pot stickers with leavened dough. But same technique.
H the translation from cantonese to english for the dish is War Tip if you google war tip US recipe sites have War Tip (pot stickers) char sui bau or stuffed steamed bun can be deep fried.The picture is not very good so that might be the cause of confusius, next time I make them I will post a better one.
Ps I run my wrapping dough through the pasta roller.

Dim Sum does have a dish that is like a pizza, I cant spell the cantonese name but in english it is spring onion pancake, I like to spread a little a little chili oil on it then put a little some steamed pak choi then top with cold char sui.

Back
Top Bottom