What is a spiral-cut ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So is it carved before cooking? It sounds as though some of you cook the ham after it's carved into the spiral. Doesn't that make it dry?

It's cooked first then sliced. It just has to be heated through when you're ready. Though I'm not a big fan of ham, I find them very tasty.

It's cooked first then sliced. It just has to be heated through when you're ready. Though I'm not a big fan of ham, I find them very tasty.

You say heat, I say warm :LOL:

I'll bet most people who think hams are dry are actually cooking them as if they are raw.

I've found that you have to warm them face down so all of the slices stay together and it will stay moist. If you warm it on its side like it is pictured for serving, the slices will slump and spread open allowing it to dry out. Cook face down, turn on its side to serve has worked for me.

I also have a thin, long flexible knife that I run around the bone so that slices can be just lifted off.

I've found that you have to warm them face down so all of the slices stay together and it will stay moist. If you warm it on its side like it is pictured for serving, the slices will slump and spread open allowing it to dry out. Cook face down, turn on its side to serve has worked for me.

I also have a thin, long flexible knife that I run around the bone so that slices can be just lifted off.

Good point, Bakechef. That's how I've done mine too.

Ahh Haa BC......I think you have the secret. Wonder why I didn't think of that? No doubt about it, if it's heated on the side, it dries out by the time it's hot enough to serve. I want the ham hot, although I know some people serve it at room temp. Ack...:ermm:

Ahh Haa BC......I think you have the secret. Wonder why I didn't think of that? No doubt about it, if it's heated on the side, it dries out by the time it's hot enough to serve. I want the ham hot, although I know some people serve it at room temp. Ack...:ermm:

Last year we were served a Honey Baked Ham straight out of the fridge at a friend's house, I so wanted to warm it up, but didn't want to offend the host.

Yeah, I've seen spiral ham jerky and it definitely not good eats!

We had a holiday potluck today at work, our planning department went together and supplied a small spiral cut ham. The person that cooked it put it in a turkey cooking bag and heated/warmed/cooked it in a crock pot, it was moist and quite good. I'm guessing the bag helped keep it moist. I didn't see when he took it out of the bag, but I suspect there would have been some juices.

Just as an aside we also cooked a 16 lb turkey in an air roaster, we have done this before the turkey is really good.

Back
Top Bottom