What is a sprig of thyme?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of the following do you consider to be a sprig of thyme?

• Left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Center

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Right

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I often see recipes that include sprigs of various fresh herbs as a measurement. Curious what you consider to be a sprig. Which one and why?

Attachments

• thyme sprigs.jpg
    thyme sprigs.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 10,479
Not sure how to describe "why" that's just my guess and I could be wrong. (I know, not likely)

OK, I just googled it and the consensus seems to be the center one.

Last edited:
I think a sprig is pretty small - about 2-3 inches. In your pic that one on the right would be closest...

Hmm, I've seen that "sprig of Thyme" in recipes, and it is a guessing game isn't it. I guess a lot depends on the volume of the rest of the recipe.

That's how I think of it. It could also vary a bit depending on how strongly you want to taste the thyme.

I've often wondered about the use of those vague terms, too. I'd say about the size of the center one, but only guessing, and with each author it may be different.

I have always assumed that the precise amount wasn't all that important or the author would specify more exactly.

I went with the center one.
Im also not the most precise person when cooking, yet Im a stickler for accuracy ( kind of ironic). I hate vague terms. I also dont like when you watch a cooking show, and they say ' if you dont have this ingredient , you can throw in this , that or the other thing ...). And , the one other thing that drives me crazy is when they cover up the actual brand of whatever they may be using. When I am follwing a recipe, I like to be as accurate to the source the first time around. After that , I make my tweets.

Obviously I have issues lol

Middle to right, depending upon the volume I'm making. I use thyme most often when I'm making chicken salad for sandwiches.

This is the dish that inspired my question. The recipe says to put a sprig of thyme under each chicken leg quarter. I cut several bunches of stems similar to the one on the left from my garden and scattered them on top of the corn. As it roasts, the chicken drippings run over the thyme and flavor the corn and the leaves pretty much fall off.

For experienced cooks, you can make a judgment call, but new cooks are often afraid to do that. 0909192016.jpg

I don't think there can be a right or wrong answer. It would depend entirely on the dish being cooked.

GG for under the leg & thigh of the chicken to flavour the corn I think you chose correctly.

If you were baking/roasting in the oven and were to place it on top of the chicken leg/thigh/breast I would choose the middle. (I like thyme)

For single pieces, as in a leg or a thigh I would choose the single sprig.

I would also choose a single sprig with a soft green stem (or even a half or pinched top) to serve fresh on top of the meat for the individual dishes on their way to the table if there already is thyme incorporated while cooking but not seen.

I have always assumed that the precise amount wasn't all that important or the author would specify more exactly.

I've always gone with this type of thinking.

Unless you use a large bunch of a fresh herb, like 2 or 3 or more times the amount shown in # 1, the flavor imparted by # I or # 2 (amounts) will likely be very subtle.
I think if you use the # 3 quantity, you might not even be able to tell that you added it.

If I leave the thyme leaves on the stems, it is because I plan to pull them out at the end of the cook. So, I don't know what a "sprig" is, precisely. Not sure how much it matters between one stem and three stems.

If a recipe is calling for just the leaves, it will usually give teaspoons or tablespoons as a measure.

CD

Back
Top Bottom