What is a traditional breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried Heinz beans and still prefer Bush's on my buttered toast for breakfast. Heinz were runnier. Maybe they like more sauce over there.

Maybe Steve K could answer me about the difference in Heinz beans in England compared to US since he has had both. From what I read, the beans that Heinz sells in England are not the same Heinz beans they sell in US.

I found something online that answered my question. I did notice that the beans from England are labeled "Heinz Beanz" rather than beans. The 6th or 7th paragraph states that the Heinz Beanz in England are not the same as the US. So I guess even if I find the Heinz beans here they will not be the same as they enjoy in England. My mother was born in US but was of English descent. She used to eat baked bean sandwiches. I thought that was odd, but not after reading about how much the English like them.

I think they would be better for me than the american ones with all the brown sugar and molasses. Sometimes I put the beans in a colandar and rinse the sauce off them. You still get the taste, but not all the sugar in the sauce.

Heinz brings beans back to U.S. - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Maybe Steve K could answer me about the difference in Heinz beans in England compared to US since he has had both. From what I read, the beans that Heinz sells in England are not the same Heinz beans they sell in US.
To me, Heinz Beans in England taste less sugary and more tomato-y than most American brands (Bush, for example).

And I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Heinz beans that are sold in the US are made in England, even though Heinz is a US-owned company.

EDIT: Wikipedia seems to confirm this.

"For several years they had been available in the US in "British Goods" specialty stores only. Presently, they are available at many US supermarkets and specialty stores. However, they are now imported with a label similar to the older British label but with US spelling and US Nutrition Facts."

Last edited:
To me, Heinz Beans in England taste less sugary and more tomato-y than most American brands (Bush, for example).

And I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Heinz beans that are sold in the US are made in England, even though Heinz is a US-owned company.

EDIT: Wikipedia seems to confirm this.

"For several years they had been available in the US in "British Goods" specialty stores only. Presently, they are available at many US supermarkets and specialty stores. However, they are now imported with a label similar to the older British label but with US spelling and US Nutrition Facts."

That may be the case, but I don't think they are the same recipe as the ones eaten in England. I found Heinz beans for sale by the case at Amazon. Some say "beans" and the others say "beanz (England)". I guess if I really wanted them I could order them from Amazon, but I don't want a whole case because I might not like them. The less sugar would be good for me, but I guess for now I can keep rinsing the sauce off.

Really?
Navy beans, I will be dam**d. I love me some Navy beans!

Well, it's what you do to them afterwards that's important. Some salt pork, molasses, onion, brown sugar, a touch of mustard and water. Bake for a nice long time and you're done. Boston Baked Beans.

Don't take this as a recipe, just something to whet your appetite.

Yup, navy beans. What I/we used to refer to as pea shooter beans. I suppose I'm the last generation for that. At least the beans are still around.

Yup, navy beans. What I/we used to refer to as pea shooter beans. I suppose I'm the last generation for that. At least the beans are still around.

Funny you should mention that. I saw some aluminum drinking straws in a store and thought what a silly purchase that would be. But they would make great pea shooters!

That may be the case, but I don't think they are the same recipe as the ones eaten in England. I found Heinz beans for sale by the case at Amazon. Some say "beans" and the others say "beanz (England)". I guess if I really wanted them I could order them from Amazon, but I don't want a whole case because I might not like them. The less sugar would be good for me, but I guess for now I can keep rinsing the sauce off.

Look for Tea Shops in your area, then contact them and ask if they sell the Heinz beans. You can start here: Pennsylvania Tearooms

There is a shop in CT called "Mrs. Bridge's Pantry" that offers high tea but IMO their prime reason for being is to offer import foods that Brits and wanna-be-Brits miss. There is a large enclave of Britophiles around the Boston area - US born too. :rolleyes: John Adams is probably rolling in his grave...

Look for Tea Shops in your area, then contact them and ask if they sell the Heinz beans. You can start here: Pennsylvania Tearooms

There is a shop in CT called "Mrs. Bridge's Pantry" that offers high tea but IMO their prime reason for being is to offer import foods that Brits and wanna-be-Brits miss. There is a large enclave of Britophiles around the Boston area - US born too. :rolleyes: John Adams is probably rolling in his grave...

My mother was an Adams. If you could see her, she was the spitting image of John Adams. All her siblings looked just the same. My sister was the last one. I look like my father, the Indian. A distant cousin for the past three years has been working on our family tree. All I gave here were the name, birth and death dates. First she worked on my fathers side. That went back to the early 1700's. Then she started on my mother's side. About a year after she started, she called me all excited. "Did you know that you are distantly related to John and Abigail Adams?" Yes, I did. But I wanted her to find it for herself. We are so distantly related that it almost doesn't count. We are related through Samuel Adams. Oh whoopee! And Samuel was a trouble maker and rabble rouser. He was on the King's List as a traitor. Along with his cousin John, Hancock, etc. Do I really want to be related to a traitor? :angel:

Funny you should mention that. I saw some aluminum drinking straws in a store and thought what a silly purchase that would be. But they would make great pea shooters!

Aluminum straws? Dishwasher safe? I wonder if they are for re-using :huh:

Aluminum straws? Dishwasher safe? I wonder if they are for re-using :huh:
When I was a kid we had re-usable straws. They were all twirly and had some character attached near the top. I think mine was the Lone Ranger.

I'm not sure I would want a re-usable straw that wasn't see through.

When I was a kid we had re-usable straws. They were all twirly and had some character attached near the top. I think mine was the Lone Ranger.

I'm not sure I would want a re-usable straw that wasn't see through.

I bought a test tube brush to clean my straws, it works great.

Can you imagine if a spider built a nest in a straw you hadn't used in a while?
Just sayin' :angel:

I grew up in two households, my Dad's, on the weekends, and my Mom's on the weekdays. I also ate breakfast regularly at my Grandparent's house on weekends. Here's the traditional breakfast at each.
Mom's house - 1. bowl of cereal with milk, and toast.
2. oatmeal with brown sugar, butter, and milk
Dad's House - 1. Fried egg, basted in sausage or bacon grease
2. Pancakes and breakfast sausage
3. French toast, often cooked like grilled cheese, with
American cheese in the middle, and sausage patties
4. Fried egg with corn beef hash
5. salmon patties
Grandparenets house -Start with either a bowl of Sugar Smacks, or torn bread in a bowl of milk with sugar sprinkled on top, follow with two poached eggs from poaching pan, Follow with either pancakes, or freshly made waffles, with ham, bacon or sausage, and finally, a large glass of milk. My Grandma thought I was sickly because I was so thin (I was never sickly, but robust with ultra high energy). Sometimes, this all was followed by a large wedge of cantaloupe. I liked eating at Grandpa's house, and he did the cooking.

After about the age of twelve, breakfast was whatever I wanted to make, and could range from apple pie to left-over zuchinni. After marriage, my kids usually got cereal on the weekdays, and any of the above on weekends, but more often than not, pancakes with bacon and sausage, sometimes with cheese. Milk was ever-present as the beverage of choice, and yes, I was the cook.:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom