"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yup, navy beans. What I/we used to refer to as pea shooter beans. I suppose I'm the last generation for that. At least the beans are still around.
Funny you should mention that. I saw some aluminum drinking straws in a store and thought what a silly purchase that would be. But they would make great pea shooters!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
That may be the case, but I don't think they are the same recipe as the ones eaten in England. I found Heinz beans for sale by the case at Amazon. Some say "beans" and the others say "beanz (England)". I guess if I really wanted them I could order them from Amazon, but I don't want a whole case because I might not like them. The less sugar would be good for me, but I guess for now I can keep rinsing the sauce off.
Look for Tea Shops in your area, then contact them and ask if they sell the Heinz beans. You can start here: Pennsylvania Tearooms

There is a shop in CT called "Mrs. Bridge's Pantry" that offers high tea but IMO their prime reason for being is to offer import foods that Brits and wanna-be-Brits miss. There is a large enclave of Britophiles around the Boston area - US born too. John Adams is probably rolling in his grave...

Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Look for Tea Shops in your area, then contact them and ask if they sell the Heinz beans. You can start here: Pennsylvania Tearooms

There is a shop in CT called "Mrs. Bridge's Pantry" that offers high tea but IMO their prime reason for being is to offer import foods that Brits and wanna-be-Brits miss. There is a large enclave of Britophiles around the Boston area - US born too. John Adams is probably rolling in his grave...
My mother was an Adams. If you could see her, she was the spitting image of John Adams. All her siblings looked just the same. My sister was the last one. I look like my father, the Indian. A distant cousin for the past three years has been working on our family tree. All I gave here were the name, birth and death dates. First she worked on my fathers side. That went back to the early 1700's. Then she started on my mother's side. About a year after she started, she called me all excited. "Did you know that you are distantly related to John and Abigail Adams?" Yes, I did. But I wanted her to find it for herself. We are so distantly related that it almost doesn't count. We are related through Samuel Adams. Oh whoopee! And Samuel was a trouble maker and rabble rouser. He was on the King's List as a traitor. Along with his cousin John, Hancock, etc. Do I really want to be related to a traitor?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Funny you should mention that. I saw some aluminum drinking straws in a store and thought what a silly purchase that would be. But they would make great pea shooters!
Aluminum straws? Dishwasher safe? I wonder if they are for re-using
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I have a couple of titanium straws...definitely for reusing.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
When I was a kid we had re-usable straws. They were all twirly and had some character attached near the top. I think mine was the Lone Ranger.

I'm not sure I would want a re-usable straw that wasn't see through.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I was a kid we had re-usable straws. They were all twirly and had some character attached near the top. I think mine was the Lone Ranger.

I'm not sure I would want a re-usable straw that wasn't see through.
I bought a test tube brush to clean my straws, it works great.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Can you imagine if a spider built a nest in a straw you hadn't used in a while?
Just sayin'
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Can you imagine if a spider built a nest in a straw you hadn't used in a while?
Just sayin'
I'm used to re-washing things that have been stored...too much cat hair in this place.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #60
Master Chef

I grew up in two households, my Dad's, on the weekends, and my Mom's on the weekdays. I also ate breakfast regularly at my Grandparent's house on weekends. Here's the traditional breakfast at each.
Mom's house - 1. bowl of cereal with milk, and toast.
2. oatmeal with brown sugar, butter, and milk
Dad's House - 1. Fried egg, basted in sausage or bacon grease
2. Pancakes and breakfast sausage
3. French toast, often cooked like grilled cheese, with
American cheese in the middle, and sausage patties
4. Fried egg with corn beef hash
5. salmon patties
Grandparenets house -Start with either a bowl of Sugar Smacks, or torn bread in a bowl of milk with sugar sprinkled on top, follow with two poached eggs from poaching pan, Follow with either pancakes, or freshly made waffles, with ham, bacon or sausage, and finally, a large glass of milk. My Grandma thought I was sickly because I was so thin (I was never sickly, but robust with ultra high energy). Sometimes, this all was followed by a large wedge of cantaloupe. I liked eating at Grandpa's house, and he did the cooking.

After about the age of twelve, breakfast was whatever I wanted to make, and could range from apple pie to left-over zuchinni. After marriage, my kids usually got cereal on the weekdays, and any of the above on weekends, but more often than not, pancakes with bacon and sausage, sometimes with cheese. Milk was ever-present as the beverage of choice, and yes, I was the cook.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, fast