What is a traditional breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
I noticed on the losing weight thread that someone referred to the traditional American breakfast , just wondering what that is ?

Here in England if you wanted a traditional English breakfast then you would be looking at bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes , sometimes mushrooms , toast too, a whole greasy fry up .

However, I never eat this type of breakfast these days, and it may be traditional but many people on a regular basis eat things like cereal or porridge . My choice is porridge or natural yogurt with fruit and honey .

What do you typically eat and how often would you have your traditional breakfast ?

:yum:for me if its not a bowl of cereal, i like to havea bagel with cream cheese, its not too heavy and keeps me full fr quite awhile.

Last edited:
'Round here, a traditional breakfast is pretty much the same as Gravy Queen's description of an English breakfast.
Gotta have coffee and grits though.
Another favorite is fresh caught fish cooked over an open fire.

Here in England if you wanted a traditional English breakfast then you would be looking at bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes , sometimes mushrooms , toast too, a whole greasy fry up .
You forgot the Heinz beans, lol. The full breakfast was always one of my favorite meals when visiting there and something I had to do at least once per trip. :)

On the flip side of the coin, I have a friend who visits once a year from Yorkshire, and his favorite American breakfast is pancakes at Perkins.

I've always considered a traditional American breakfast to be two eggs, hash browns, toast, and either bacon or sausage. But just like with the English breakfast, I don't think there are many of us who eat that sort of thing every day.

I try to eat something for breakfast every day. Occasionally I'll take the time to make eggs, but other days it might not be anything but a muffin with preserves and a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
I agree with Steve - that's the traditional breakfast, based on what farmers would have had available most of the time, but most people eat that way only on the weekends, if at all. I often have leftovers for breakfast, or scrambled eggs or an omelet with toast.

Traditional breakfasts were intended to provide hard working farmers, factory workers, etc with fuel to get through to lunch. That's not as common today so we usually eat lighter fare like cereals, breads, and other baked goods followed by eggs which many people consider evil because of the cholesterol connection.

SO and I went to a local diner for breakfast recently and I had chicken fried steak with sausage gravy, home fries and eggs. That's not on my breakfast menu very often.

Traditional breakfast in my part of the world is typically eggs, bacon, fried potatoes and toast, Juice and coffee. I almost never have this for breakfast but it makes a great dinner ;)

My traditional breakfast is eggs, grains, and greens. I grew up with the weekend breakfast being either eggs, bacon/sausage, toast, orange juice or waffles/pancakes, bacon/sausage, juice.

I'm finding that leftovers are better for me than the eggs, sausage, etc.

Even if I do have eggs, and/or toasted frozen pancakes and sausage, it's a once a week treat.

As a single person cooking for one, leftovers are a given. If I don't help eat them up by using breakfast as an option, I tend to end up with good leftovers frozen and don't get to cook as much as I like. I love variety, but love certain things frequently.

Lately, it's been leftover taco meat. I love to take the leftover meat mixture and add macaroni and cheese for a taco macaroni that manages to disappear rapidly. Comfort food!

I agree with Steve - that's the traditional breakfast, based on what farmers would have had available most of the time, but most people eat that way only on the weekends, if at all. I often have leftovers for breakfast, or scrambled eggs or an omelet with toast.

Forgive me for going OT, but am I the only one seeing the word "farmers" highlighted in red and underlined?
I don't see it as I am typing this, but I saw it in GG's post :huh:

Whoa, it's a link that takes you to a finance site or something.

Forgive me for going OT, but am I the only one seeing the word "farmers" highlighted in red and underlined?
I don't see it as I am typing this, but I saw it in GG's post :huh:

Pac, if you're seeing a word highlighted, it's because you searched for something with that word in it. I've had that problem before. Once it's searched, it's hard to get rid of it. Just a glitch.

I agree with others on the typical American breakfast of eggs, fried potatoes, bacon, ham or sausage, toast, juice and coffee.

I need a piece of homemade fruit pie and a slice of sharp cheddar cheese to seal the deal!

Don't be afraid to eat the pie first, that way you will make sure to have room for it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think it depends on the family what's traditional or even the person. My father had ham or bacon, eggs, toast and fried potatoes while my mother had toast, some potatoes, a scoop of cottage cheese and some fruit. My sisters and I had some of all of it. My grandma had a big bowl of oatmeal every day of the year. If we sisters were at her house, we got a big bowl of oatmeal with some raisins, butter, brown sugar and milk. I don't know what the traditional American breakfast actually is.

Traditional is a useless term when trying to nail down a "melting pot" of cultural influences. Each family has its own traditions in this country. That would make "Traditional American Breakfast" an oxymoron.;)

We are no longer a nation of farmers but people on the run out the door in the morning. So it is usually a piece of toast or bagel and a cup of coffee in a travel mug. For those fortunate enough to work in a building that has a cafeteria they will grab something more substantial before they go to their desk. So there no longer is a traditional American breakfast. :angel:

Back in 2005, I went to Copenhagen. My sister gave me and Stirling a gift of a one night stay at a hotel in Keflavik, since we were traveling by Iceland Air and they don't charge for a stopover. We were looking at the various hotels in Keflavik and they said that a night's stay came with a traditional Scandinavian breakfast. My sister and I looked at each other and simultaneously said, "What's a Scandinavian breakfast?" Most Scandinavians have the same kinds of breakfasts as the English and North Americans.

When we went to the dining room for our "traditional Scandinavian breakfast", we found out what it was. It was a mini Smørrebrødsbord. There was a variety of breads, fish, cold cuts, and cheeses. There were also dry cereals, oatmeal, eggs, and a toaster. D'oh! That qualifies. :LOL:

Traditional is a useless term when trying to nail down a "melting pot" of cultural influences. Each family has its own traditions in this country. That would make "Traditional American Breakfast" an oxymoron.;)

If each family had their own traditional breakfast, there wouldn't have been so many similar answers. We're talking about the distant past when most Americans were descended from the English.

Back
Top Bottom