"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Head Chef

What is a traditional breakfast?

I noticed on the losing weight thread that someone referred to the traditional American breakfast , just wondering what that is ?

Here in England if you wanted a traditional English breakfast then you would be looking at bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes , sometimes mushrooms , toast too, a whole greasy fry up .

However, I never eat this type of breakfast these days, and it may be traditional but many people on a regular basis eat things like cereal or porridge . My choice is porridge or natural yogurt with fruit and honey .

What do you typically eat and how often would you have your traditional breakfast ?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

for me if its not a bowl of cereal, i like to havea bagel with cream cheese, its not too heavy and keeps me full fr quite awhile.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

'Round here, a traditional breakfast is pretty much the same as Gravy Queen's description of an English breakfast.
Gotta have coffee and grits though.
Another favorite is fresh caught fish cooked over an open fire.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Here in England if you wanted a traditional English breakfast then you would be looking at bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes , sometimes mushrooms , toast too, a whole greasy fry up .
You forgot the Heinz beans, lol. The full breakfast was always one of my favorite meals when visiting there and something I had to do at least once per trip.

On the flip side of the coin, I have a friend who visits once a year from Yorkshire, and his favorite American breakfast is pancakes at Perkins.

I've always considered a traditional American breakfast to be two eggs, hash browns, toast, and either bacon or sausage. But just like with the English breakfast, I don't think there are many of us who eat that sort of thing every day.

I try to eat something for breakfast every day. Occasionally I'll take the time to make eggs, but other days it might not be anything but a muffin with preserves and a cup of coffee.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Steve - that's the traditional breakfast, based on what farmers would have had available most of the time, but most people eat that way only on the weekends, if at all. I often have leftovers for breakfast, or scrambled eggs or an omelet with toast.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Traditional breakfasts were intended to provide hard working farmers, factory workers, etc with fuel to get through to lunch. That's not as common today so we usually eat lighter fare like cereals, breads, and other baked goods followed by eggs which many people consider evil because of the cholesterol connection.

SO and I went to a local diner for breakfast recently and I had chicken fried steak with sausage gravy, home fries and eggs. That's not on my breakfast menu very often.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Traditional breakfast in my part of the world is typically eggs, bacon, fried potatoes and toast, Juice and coffee. I almost never have this for breakfast but it makes a great dinner ;)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My traditional breakfast is eggs, grains, and greens. I grew up with the weekend breakfast being either eggs, bacon/sausage, toast, orange juice or waffles/pancakes, bacon/sausage, juice.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm finding that leftovers are better for me than the eggs, sausage, etc.

Even if I do have eggs, and/or toasted frozen pancakes and sausage, it's a once a week treat.

As a single person cooking for one, leftovers are a given. If I don't help eat them up by using breakfast as an option, I tend to end up with good leftovers frozen and don't get to cook as much as I like. I love variety, but love certain things frequently.

Lately, it's been leftover taco meat. I love to take the leftover meat mixture and add macaroni and cheese for a taco macaroni that manages to disappear rapidly. Comfort food!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I agree with Steve - that's the traditional breakfast, based on what farmers would have had available most of the time, but most people eat that way only on the weekends, if at all. I often have leftovers for breakfast, or scrambled eggs or an omelet with toast.
Forgive me for going OT, but am I the only one seeing the word "farmers" highlighted in red and underlined?
I don't see it as I am typing this, but I saw it in GG's post

Tags
breakfast, fast