"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #31
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
In Bermuda, I would say that the quintessential "Native" dish is fish stew, with sherry peppers

here in V.B.,VA, seems like alot of emphasis on seafood, in particular, Crabcakes.

I forgot Ham. Smithfield Ham.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Funeral Potatoes: A shortcut version of au gratin potaotes made from totally pre-fab ingredients. But surprisingly tasty. So called because it always makes an appearance at the church supper for the family and extended family/friends of the deceased.

Fry Sauce

Dutch Oven Cooking (Cast Iron pots with lids and cooking with charcoal/fire)

Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #33
Head Chef

Northern VA here, and Tattrat is spot on.

Blue crab cakes, there are as many recipes for them as there are people who make them.

Oh yes, and soft shelled crabs.

But perhaps the quintessential dish of the area is country ham (the so-called Smithfield ham).

Very little better, but a bit of work to cook right if you are looking at a whole, or half, cured aged ham.

Can buy ham steaks with redeye gravy, and that is great with breakfast (my favorite, although folks serve it anytime).

Crabs, country hams, and oh yes, I forgot the best peanuts in the world.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Shoo-fly Pie, Chicken Pot Pie, Scrapple, Faschnachts and Whoopie Pies! Not the lowest calorie items on the block
Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Lots of seafood and seafood dishes, key lime pie.

We have so many things, I don't know what would be considered specialty. With so many people from other parts of the country and other countries also, we get some of everything.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Locally we are known for our Crawdad Festival - but they don't come from here anymore - like they used to. 26 miles away we have the Asparagus festival, and 28 or so miles away there's a corn festival.

Asparagus and sweet corn are grown abundantly - and grapes, especially old vine Zins and lots of others. I can't think of any one dish - the influences come from Portugese, Italian, Mexican, and Asian and more. Deep fried asparagus - and lots of tri-tip barbecues. Grilled corn and tamales, pasta. We're so lucky.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #37
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
New Jersey is famous for tomatoes and blueberries, as well as other fruits and veggies... We're the "Garden State," ya know... but I can't think of a "dish" that exemplifies my area.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with Tattrat and auntdot in NoVa Land. There is a delicacy over in Maryland called stuffed ham, famous at church suppers, that I have not had to nerve to try. It's got green olives in it for starters.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #39
Executive Chef

The Delmarva Peninsula (Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia) is known for seafood... crabs, crab cakes, clams and oysters in all kinds of ways...stews chowders, fritters, steamed raw etc, and chicken, especially chicken and "slippery dumplings" long doughey noodles cooked in the broth and served with the chicken in shreds off the bone with the thickened broth...real comfort food...so good!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Here in Nashville Tennessee there's alot of country ham, grits, biscuits, sweet tea, corn bread, pulled pork BBQ, Fried Catfish, turnip and collard greens, fried okra, macaroni and cheese, chess pie, pecan pie, and chocolate pie.