"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Please do... anything with "curry" and "wurst" in the name sounds too good to pass up!
I'll find it! I now have over 6 million files on my PC, so only God knows where I put it. I'll find it though! I'll drop you a PM when I've posted it.

The standard is to get a couple curry wurst and kartoffelsalat and pommes frites with mayo.

It took me awhile to get used to having a big glob of mayo on my fries, but it's actually quite good once you get used to it.

German potato salad is to kill for!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #92
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
...Btw, if you've never had a Berliner "Currywurst"...

I'm confused. A Berliner seems to be a filled pastry while a currywurst is a sauced sausage.

I assume when you put the two terms together you are saying Berliner meaning a sausage in the Berlin style rather than a filled pastry/sauced sausage combo food of some kind.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #93
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm confused. A Berliner seems to be a filled pastry while a currywurst is a sauced sausage.

I assume when you put the two terms together you are saying Berliner meaning a sausage in the Berlin style rather than a filled pastry/sauced sausage combo food of some kind.
A "Berliner" is someone who is from Berlin.

"Berliner Pastry" might be a more appropriate name for the desert.

"Berliner Currywurst" or just "Berlin Currywurst" is a well known phrase and will result in many bellies growling if said in public...

I've just posted the recipe:
Berliner Currywurst
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #94
Cupcake

I would name my place "Vittles." It would be southern country cooking.

Breakfasts would be things like buttermilk pancakes (offered with seasonal fruits,) biscuits and gravy...or maybe fried apples, fresh eggs, seared ham on biscuits, etc.

Lunches would be things like red beans and rice, pimento cheese sandwiches, blts, seasonal soups and salads, beef and gravy on bread with mashed potatoes, etc.

Dinners would be things like chicken and dumplings, meatloaf, roasted turkey, fried catfish, etc.

Desserts would be cakes, pies, seasonal cobblers, puddings, sundaes, etc.

Basically, the menu would change through the week and through the seasons. Somethings would always be on the menu though! Pinto beans with cornbread, for example. :D Coca-cola products, sweet tea, etc. As for a take out menu, it would offer picnic type of fare, and be slightly different in that one could get an RC and moon pie for dessert.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #95
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

"Berliner Pastry" might be a more appropriate name for the desert.
In the Hannover Region they are called "Krapfen"
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #96
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
In the Hannover Region they are called "Krapfen"
People all over the world love "Filled Pastries".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(pastry)

I know I do! Too much!

I could *live* in any German Bakery. Of course if I did, I wouldn't be able to leave anyway, because they would never fit me out the door again!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #97
Assistant Cook

A lot of food could qualify as American, from all the good evidence presented; a whole cornucopia.

Mike
Old 08-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #98
Sous Chef

if you want to serve American food, you'll need to write a cook book / develop a menu based on native American's recipes. native Americans occupied New England to Florida, west thru the Plains to the desert south-west and north from there to the Pacific north-west. may as well move right along into Canada and talk to those native peoples because the native Americans didn't diddle squat about a latitude parallel.

everybody else that is "American” today brought their "food dishes" with them.

this is the issue with a few billion internet questions that start off “I want to make an authentic (fillintheblank)”

dishes originate in an area - and have multiple thousand variations with a single generation.
add a couple hundred generations, a bit of human migration, and it is exceptionally difficult to identify a “dish” that is unique to one area/geography/population/nationality.

and then one has to adjust for the time frame in question. pretty much “everybody” thinks of pizza as Italian. tomatoes come from the new world - so pizza is Italian only if you date forward from the 15th century. limiting the discussion to “written documented recipes” doesn’t work either - there’s this problem with chocolate . . . .
Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #99
Senior Cook

American foods:

Cheeseburgers!
Spaghetti with tomato and meat sauce.
Many take-out chinese dishes.
Jambalaya
Chili
Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #100
Assistant Cook

Fast&easy snack : If u are board and hungry this is an easy way to do you need tuna , lettuce , mayonnaise , salt , cheese . First put the tuna in blender then add the mayonnaise and the salt and the lettuce cut it for pieces then add blend it for one minute then bring a bread any kind of it put the cheese first and finally ur mixture bring u a pepsi or juice and enjoy ur meal

Tags
food