What is American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
American food =

Meatloaf
Mashed Taters
Gravy
Creamed Corn
Broccli with cheese sauce
Strawberries with cream

There may be other American meals, but they're not important!:ROFLMAO::LOL::pig:

Are we limiting "American Food" to the USA exclusively? Last time I checked, "America" included North, Central and South, with all but the indigenous people and their cuisine comming from other parts of the world.:)

Craig

Are we limiting "American Food" to the USA exclusively? Last time I checked, "America" included North, Central and South, with all but the indigenous people and their cuisine comming from other parts of the world.:)

Craig

That seems to be the trend so far.
In my experience, it is people living in the USA that actually call themselves Americans, even though we all know there is a north, central and south America.

How about some popcorn and peanut butter.

Those were both considered very strange foods by some German friends in the early 70's.

i guess we're used to cslling ourselves american since we're the only country in "the america's" with the word in our name.

well, Hot Dogs came from Denmark, but somewhere back in time that might have been a part of Germany, too :cool:

lol, yeah, germany's borders have moved around a bit over the centuries.

a lot of americans think hot dogs were invented in coney island, n.y., but they were really modelled after sausages people knew from frankfurt or vienna, hence their other names frankfurters or wieners. i wouldn't doubt that even those were adopted from a denmark sausage.

the idea for "french" fries were brought back to the u.s. by the soldiers after world war 1, supposedly from belgium. but belgian fries doesn't sound as good.

ich bin ein berliner, if you want to be a doughnut. :)

Last edited:
a lot of americans think hot dogs were invented in coney island, n.y., but they were really...

Nooo, a lot of you New York City and Joisey types think they invented hot dogs in Coney Island ;)

:LOL:

rofl, timothy!!! you're on a roll today.

lol pac, i'm gonna tell anthony wiener you said that. he'll send you some pics of an authentic.. umm, nevermind.;)

besides, you don't mess with people from brooklyn! fuggedaboudit.

it cracked me up when i first heard of a coney dog in the midwest. but i guess it's better than eating a nathan.

Last edited:
Reading through this thread reminded of a trip I took to London several years ago with my wife and daughter. As we were walking back to our hotel one evening, we came across a small restaurant advertising "American Style Barbeque." Curiosity got the better of us, so we decided to stop in to check it out.

As it turns out, the owners were a very nice young Polish couple. When I asked them about how they came to open a barbeque restaurant in London, the husband explained that they just felt there was a niche for it there. I then asked, "So where in America have you visited?" Strangely, it turns out they had never been here. :ermm:

As for the offerings on the menu, there was really nothing I would remotely consider "barbeque." They had beef ribs, but the description said "roasted rib of beef." There were none of the other trappings that come to mind when we think of barbeque. No brisket. No chicken. Not even the smell of smoke. They had burgers and sausages cooked on a grill, so maybe the owners thought that anything grilled qualified as barbeque.

In the end, I settled on a bowl of chili (not barbeque either), that turned out to be not chili, but rather a thick tomato soup that was more like what I would consider ghoulash. I don't believe it contained any traditional chili spices, but rather paprika.

So it turns out that people in other parts of the world also seem to have some misguided notions as to what constitutes "American Cuisine."

In fairness, I did run across this place in Chester UK on the web that actually looks like it might be decent. If I ever find myself in Chester, I'll have to give it a try.

So it turns out that people in other parts of the world also seem to have some misguided notions as to what constitutes "American Cuisine."

I imagine they put their own twist on our food like we do theirs.

Nice story. The question is, are they still in business? :)

at least we could have a good cigar with that bourbon, uncle bob. tobacco is definitely american.

Back
Top Bottom