What is American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...German chocolate cake (never ever heard of that here :LOL: )...
A lot of people think it comes from Germany, but it was named for a guy whose last name was "German." It was originally called "German's Chocolate Cake."

Are we limiting "American Food" to the USA exclusively? Last time I checked, "America" included North, Central and South, with all but the indigenous people and their cuisine comming from other parts of the world.:)

Craig
This used to puzzle me too, until I realized that when you used the full names of Canada, the U.S., and Mexico, it is easy to see why people from the U.S. are typically called Americans, and the others are not. Canada (former full name, Dominion of Canada, but legally that was apparently dropped), Los Estados Unidos de Mexico (The United States of Mexico), and The United States of America. Thus we have Canadians, Mexicans, and Americans.
:cool:

so tobacco comes from a beautiful woman's butt?

no wonder it's so addictive and bad for you.

why not? Is wiki that bad in english? The Geman version is quite reliable...

btw.. does your name came from the baltic states? It reminds me of Lithuania....

cara said:
why not? Is wiki that bad in english?

IMO Yes! I find it very PC, full of falsehoods, disinformation, and Factoids! I would rarely, if ever use it as any kind of a primary source for factual information.

why not? Is wiki that bad in english? The Geman version is quite reliable...

btw.. does your name came from the baltic states? It reminds me of Lithuania....

we have schoolkids who contribute to wikipedia just for giggles. my understanding is that anyone can add information to, or correct (edit) information contained in wikipedia. and i for one do not know how their fact-checking is done. wiki's accuracy probably varies from topic to topic. i use wikipedia routinely--mostly for entertainment, and casual checks on things. if my search is a serious one, one that requires a definitive answer or information, i might go to wiki for a quick initial look, but then would follow up with (imo) more traditional, trustworthy and venerable sources for my facts. but cara, the wikipedia--its various uses by persons--could make for an interesting topic for a future thread, what do you think? and you were close with the guess of lithuania for the name vitauta. vitauta is a latvian name. you probably know latvia best for our inventions of the hot dog, sauerkraut and beer....;):)

Here is my list:
Apple and blueberry pie
Pumpkin Pie
Fried chicken
Roasted turkey
Mashed potatoes
"freedom fries"
Home fries
Chicken noodle soup
Sliders
I'm sure there is more, but that is what I can think of at the moment. :)

chopper said:
Here is my list:
Apple and blueberry pie
Pumpkin Pie
Fried chicken
Roasted turkey
Mashed potatoes
"freedom fries"
Home fries
Chicken noodle soup
Sliders
I'm sure there is more, but that is what I can think of at the moment. :)

Love them " freedom fries"! :LOL:

I dont subscribe to this sentiment but as you are all well aware there is a strand within European society that dislikes America.
The patisserie teacher I had in Paris(35 yrs ago was a genius and a very hard taskmaster) there were students from all over the world.
He asked us about the roots of our cuisine.
He then stated that the main building block for each country was its mineral wealth.
UK =coal = ovens= roasting and baking, you gave the world Roast beef.
Ireland=peat= slow open fire=stews and braising, you gave the world Irish stew.
China= wood=fast hot fie cooking= you gave the world the wok and stir fries.
Middle east=dried camel dung=slow cooking= you gave the world the tagine.
America you have everything, oil, wood, coal= you gave the world Mcdonalds;)

Back
Top Bottom