What is bocconcini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Can anyone tell me what bocconcini is? I have a recipe that lists this as an ingredient and haven' a clue. Also, since I doubt that I'll find it, can you suggest a substitute?

Thanks

Bocconccini are a medium sized ball of water-packed mozzarella. If you need to substitute it use fresh mozzarella, not the shredded kind and not the slices, but the kind wrapped in plastic in one big chunk.

The Bocconccini is roughly golf-ball size - I'll have to go look up the smaller ones - begins with a "c" though.

Edited to add Ciliegini are the cherry size balls. [size=-1]
[/size]

Last edited:
It's a little ball of fresh mozarella cheese. About the size of a walnut (maybe a bit smaller).

Deli section packed in water.

The deli I work in usually has tennis ball sized and walnut sized fresh mozzarella in water. Some is prepacked and some can be bought in whatever amount yuou want.

they're different than the other mozzarella. they have a different texture, i think because of the moisture content, (they don't have much of a bite to them) and are bright white in color. the taste is milky and less salty.

Bocconcini really means "bite size" or "morsels". As the others pointed out there ARE mozzarellas called bocconcini because they are made in smaller balls. (the fresh mozzarella come in several different sizes and shapes) So actually any bite sized food can be called "bocconcini", not just mozzarella!!
3.gif

As you can see lyndalou we are all on the same page about what it is! lol You might be surprised to find them - look in, obviously, the cheese section and most of the time they can be found in a round plastic container or a rectangular one. The size your recipe calls for usually has 4 balls to a container.

Thank you all. Another word to add to my vocabulary. They could have said "small balls of mozzarella", don't you think? lol

A friend of mine makes little appetisers with half a baby bocconcini a basil leaf and a tom thumb tomato on a toothpick/skewer.

lyndalou said:
Thank you all. Another word to add to my vocabulary. They could have said "small balls of mozzarella", don't you think? lol

Ahh .... but would your guests/family be as impressed by being served small mozzarella balls as being served "bocconcini"? :LOL:

I know I ariived late for the bocconcini party, but I couldn't resist.

Bocconcini

38UYot36bZ
Bocconcini is one of the few cheeses that masterfully play a supporting role to other flavors. It's especially popular accompanied by fresh vegetables.

This cheese is perfectly described by its Italian name: "small mouthfulls". It's mild and refreshing, with a smooth resilient texture, about the size, shape and colour of a hardboiled egg. It's delicious. Part of the semi-soft cheese category, Bocconcini should be a white and rindless unripened cheese with a firm elastic body, packed in light brine which stops further ripening.

Good alternatives to Bocconcini for your recipes include any of the stretched curd pasta filata cheeses such as Scamorza, Mozzarella, Fior di Latte, Cacciotta, or Trecce, a larger cheese woven into a braid and the most similar to Bocconcini

Thanks Mish, nice picture. Wish I could do that, but I am not a computer person, really. Can't do anything much with the thing.

You're welcome, lindalou.

Maybe this will help re copy & paste:

To copy - Left click on your mouse, draw across and highlight the stuff you want to copy, Right click and select copy.

To paste - Right click again and select paste. You can save recipes to your notepad and save them to your hardrive, or paste text into messages like these.

Give it a try & let me know if I can help some more.

The thing I can't figure out is:

When a blue word (muffin, for example) appears in text & when you click on the word (rather than an http address), it takes you to the document. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom