What is Chop Suey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
I would like to know what different regions think of when they see Chop Suey? I think of either a solid donut style dough, with nuts and chopped fruit, deep fried or a chow mien dish, like what comes out of a Chung King can.

I would like to know what different regions think of when they see Chop Suey? I think of either a solid donut style dough, with nuts and chopped fruit, deep fried or a chow mien dish, like what comes out of a Chung King can.

In the midwest and in the west chop suey is like what comes out of a the Chung King can. I never heard of CS being dough. Anyone else know of this?

In the midwest and in the west chop suey is like what comes out of a the Chung King can. I never heard of CS being dough. Anyone else know of this?

Same here, DQ. My mother used to make the Slovenian version of chop suey when I was little. I liked the Chung King better.:LOL::LOL:

Chop Suey is basically leftovers and so can be many things. It means something along the lines of bits of this and that. So most anything can and does end up in Chop Suey.

thymeless

Any one have a good recipe? Mom used to make it and I remember liking it..but, I want something that has more flavor than hers did. THnaks!!!

My mom's chop suey (which I finally learned to make just like hers a few years ago, yay!) is browned stew beef, add water and cook until tender, add chopped celery, chopped onions, mushrooms (whole if small--canned works too), molasses, soy sauce, and corn starch (to thicken), then served over rice. It is one of my favorite foods in the world, and now I am so in the mood for it that I'm going to have to make it again soon!

:)Barbara

For all intents and purposes, chop suey is basically a stir fry. It can consist of any base protein, and a varying amount of vegetables. The dish is then served with rice or with noodles (i.e. chow mein). The term itself does not exist in China. It was most likely coined by either Chinese immigrants or by Americans when the Chinese were coming to the US during the 1800's, probably due to the language barrier.

Vegetable Chop Suey

Vegetable Chop Suey

For the Sauce:
2 Tb Oyster Sauce
1 Tb Soy Sauce
½Tb Dry Sherry
½ tsp Sugar
2 tsp Cornstarch
¼ C Chicken or Vegetable Stock

For the Dish:
¼ C Peanut Oil, divided
2 cl Garlic
1 Ea Onion, chopped
1 Ea Green Bell Pepper, chopped
8 Oz Mushrooms, sliced
5 Oz Water Chestnuts, canned
2 Oz Snow Pea Pods
1 Ea Carrot, sliced
7 Oz Broccoli Florets
4 Oz Bean Sprouts

Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.

Stir-fry the vegetables (except for the sprouts) in small batches. If you do one type of vegetable at a time, they will be more evenly cooked than if you stir fry batches of mixed vegetables.

When all the vegetables are stir fried, add them all back into the wok and make a well in the bottom of the wok.

Add the sauce and stir over high heat until it boils.

Add the sprouts, toss and serve.

Chopsuey refers to stir-fried vegetables with some meat or seafood mixed in.

It's also a colorful and derogatory colloquial term for a careless mishmash or hodgepodge of stuff. :)

The reason I asked this question is I followed a recipe from Cook's Illustrated Cover and Bake. It was called American Chop Suey, the recipe was basically Browned ground beef, a can of diced tomatoes, onion,, red bell pepper and a rib of celery, cover cook 20 min. then throw in elbow macaroni and cover and cook for another 20 min. the result was in my way of thinking goulash, it was good but not what I thought of as Chop Suey. I asked the question to conform that it was a stir fry. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

The reason I asked this question is I followed a recipe from Cook's Illustrated Cover and Bake. It was called American Chop Suey, the recipe was basically Browned ground beef, a can of diced tomatoes, onion,, red bell pepper and a rib of celery, cover cook 20 min. then throw in elbow macaroni and cover and cook for another 20 min. the result was in my way of thinking goulash, it was good but not what I thought of as Chop Suey. I asked the question to conform that it was a stir fry. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Elf, the recipe you refer to is called American Chop Suey in parts of the USA. In some regions the same dish is called goulash or slumgullion.

The recipe I posted earlier is for Chinese chop suey. What you'd get if your ordered in a chinese restaurant.

Elf, the recipe you refer to is called American Chop Suey in parts of the USA. In some regions the same dish is called goulash or slumgullion.

The recipe I posted earlier is for Chinese chop suey. What you'd get if your ordered in a chinese restaurant.

What Andy said ^^.

And there's even a lot more knowledge that we keep to ourselves! Don't even think about asking me the secret to preparing Ligurian Henway.

Chop suey is a term that was coined during the great gold rush in California. By immigrant Chinese, and in this day and age it has turned into a multilevel train wreck
Can not stand to eat much of it, even when I make it.

:LOL: Yep - big differences between American Chop Suey and Chinese-American Chop Suey. As I noted in another thread, I was ROTFLMAO when Guy Fieri was tasting American Chop Suey at a diner somewhere in New England and acted like he had never heard of, or tasted anything, like it before in his life. I grew up with it called slumgullian at home, usually called goulash at school.

You might enjoy reading these threads: Goulash Recipes or TNT - My Mom's Goulash

Back
Top Bottom