"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Cook

I am just guessing here, but I think creme fresh, yogurt or sour cream will still give you
a good result with ambrosia.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Constance, did you ever get any of the chocolate cool whip? I don't think they make it anymore so others didn't like it as much as my grandson. His favorite dessert was chocolate pudding with chocolate cool whip with chocolate syrup on top. He has to settle for chocolate reddi whip. I suppose they will stop making that now.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
Master Chef

When I was a kid ALL we ever had was either Cool Whip or Dream Whip (for budgetary reasons). Now you can buy Cool Whip in enough different formulas to make your head spin -- low sugar, low fat, extra creamy --- I tend to use Cool Whip a lot, especially in my trifles, because it goes over well here where many of my friends simply don't have the digestions to tolerate rich, real, whipped cream. And the stability is a plus.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Personally I think anyone that uses the instant whipped cream should be shot, but thats another debate for another time :P.

StephB, being a fellow Aussie I face the same problem but alot of things can be substituted with a little imagination.

For example half-and-half is exactly what the same implies, half milk and half cream. You can make it using either single (light - 18% fat) or double (heavy - 36%) cream, you will just end up with a different fat content of the half-and-half, between 10%-18%.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:13 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to mamabear Send a message via MSN to mamabear Send a message via Yahoo to mamabear
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Constance, did you ever get any of the chocolate cool whip? I don't think they make it anymore so others didn't like it as much as my grandson. His favorite dessert was chocolate pudding with chocolate cool whip with chocolate syrup on top. He has to settle for chocolate reddi whip. I suppose they will stop making that now.
Licia, I believe it is seasonal, and only comes out during the Christmas season, like the French Vanilla flavor. I work in a grocery store, ansd I usually only see it then.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #16
Master Chef

Licia, I never did try that. My husband would have loved it...he sneaks into my pantry in the middle of the night looking for canned chocolate frosting. I don't mind, until I get ready to use it, and all that's left is the empty can sitting on my shelf.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I'm going to try to find my recipe for cow patties. It has chocolate and nuts and I can't remember what else. It looks rather strange but tastes great. If I find it soon will post it - hopefully in the proper forum.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Cool Whip is 1 molocule away from plastic. I've eaten my share though.Drum roll............and the ingredients are:

Water, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oils, corn syrup, sugar, sodium caseinate, dextrose, polysorbate 60, natural and artificial flavors, sorbitan monostearate, xanthan gum and guar gum. Artificial color.

Yum.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I prefer my cream just to say one thing for ingredients:

Milk (Fat 18%-48%).

Quote:
hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oils
Avoid like the plague!

And can somebody even point out the dairy ingredient?! I don't see 'milk solids' or anything on there...I thought it had to have some dairy at least.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Many people are lactose intolerant. I would hate for them to have to do without a topping for their dessert. Glad there is something to suit each of us.