What is Cool Whip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StephB

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new here, and hope you can help me out. I live in Australia, and often go online to search for recipes. Most recipes come from the States and I often see ingredients that aren't available here (half and half, bisquick), but the one I'd like help with is Cool Whip. It's an ingredient in ambrosia, which I've never had, and would love to make. I did a search and as far as I can tell, sweetened whipped cream sounds like the best substitute. Can anyone tell me whether that's right, or have other suggestions? Thanks!:chef:

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, you'll like it here. We have several members from your area.

Cool Whip is a brand name for synthetic whipped cream.

Real whipped cream will work well in ambrosia but you should use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream rather than half & half ( a mixture of milk and cream as the name implies). H&H doesn't have a high enough fat content to whip up well (18% vs 36%-40%).

If you like, check the baking aisle of your supermarket for products that can be added to whipped cream to keep it stable longer so it won't separate. I can't recall a brand name right now.

Sweetened whipped cream should work just fine for your recipe. Welcome to DC, Steph!! :) If you can purchase Dream Whip that will work also.

25953cl.gif

Last edited:
Like Andy M. said - Cool Whip is a synthetic substitute for whipped cream which has added stabilizers (in this case gums) to help it hold it's "whipped cream like" texture. It is made from:

Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

Actually, when you look at the ingredients, it's like corn syrup sweetened shortening!

You can also make your own "stabilized" whipped cream by adding 1 Teaspoon gelitin dissolved in 4 Tablespoons hot water (and allowed to cool) to 1 Cup of Whipping Cream, and use up to 1/4 cup powdered/confectioner's/10X sugar to sweeten it if you wish.

Natural whipped cream in ambroasia - about 24 hours. Stabilized whipped cream - maybe about 48 hours. Cool Whip ambrosia ... no more than 48 hours.

I guess I'm a little strange, but I actually prefer the flavor Cool Whip to whipped cream. I guess it's because of all that sugar!

I'm fond of using cool whip in desserts.

I guess I'm a little strange, but I actually prefer the flavor Cool Whip to whipped cream. I guess it's because of all that sugar!

Which one has all the sugar? I'm not OPPOSED to sugar, preferring it over artificial sweeteners, but I never thought of Cool Whip as having much. Whipping cream is more costly, requires the work of beating it and doesn't sit in the refrigerator freezer compartment in a plastic container just begging to be used a spoonful at a time.

My Mother makes Banana Cream Cream Puffs as one of her signature desserts. You're having a party? My Mom will send a platter of these. She takes the time to make the choux batter and make the banana custard, but she ALWAYS uses Cool Whip to fold into the custard before she fills the Puffs. "Oh RJ, whipping all that cream takes too long."

Don't get me wrong, those Cream Puffs are hard to beat, but I think they would be OFF THE CHARTS with Creme Chantilly instead of Cool Whip.

(I am currently looking at my shipment of Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste right now. Mmmmmm.... Creme Chantilly might be on my menu tonight. Nothing else. Just a big bowl of sweetened vanilla whip cream. I've got a few spoons. Who's coming over?)

RJ

Constance, did you ever get any of the chocolate cool whip? I don't think they make it anymore so others didn't like it as much as my grandson. His favorite dessert was chocolate pudding with chocolate cool whip with chocolate syrup on top. He has to settle for chocolate reddi whip. I suppose they will stop making that now.

When I was a kid ALL we ever had was either Cool Whip or Dream Whip (for budgetary reasons). Now you can buy Cool Whip in enough different formulas to make your head spin -- low sugar, low fat, extra creamy --- I tend to use Cool Whip a lot, especially in my trifles, because it goes over well here where many of my friends simply don't have the digestions to tolerate rich, real, whipped cream. And the stability is a plus.

Personally I think anyone that uses the instant whipped cream should be shot, but thats another debate for another time :P.

StephB, being a fellow Aussie I face the same problem but alot of things can be substituted with a little imagination.

For example half-and-half is exactly what the same implies, half milk and half cream. You can make it using either single (light - 18% fat) or double (heavy - 36%) cream, you will just end up with a different fat content of the half-and-half, between 10%-18%.

licia said:
Constance, did you ever get any of the chocolate cool whip? I don't think they make it anymore so others didn't like it as much as my grandson. His favorite dessert was chocolate pudding with chocolate cool whip with chocolate syrup on top. He has to settle for chocolate reddi whip. I suppose they will stop making that now.

Licia, I believe it is seasonal, and only comes out during the Christmas season, like the French Vanilla flavor. I work in a grocery store, ansd I usually only see it then.

Licia, I never did try that. My husband would have loved it...he sneaks into my pantry in the middle of the night looking for canned chocolate frosting. I don't mind, until I get ready to use it, and all that's left is the empty can sitting on my shelf. :wacko:

I'm going to try to find my recipe for cow patties. It has chocolate and nuts and I can't remember what else. It looks rather strange but tastes great. If I find it soon will post it - hopefully in the proper forum.

Cool Whip is 1 molocule away from plastic.:LOL: I've eaten my share though.Drum roll............and the ingredients are:

Water, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oils, corn syrup, sugar, sodium caseinate, dextrose, polysorbate 60, natural and artificial flavors, sorbitan monostearate, xanthan gum and guar gum. Artificial color.

Yum.

I prefer my cream just to say one thing for ingredients:

Milk (Fat 18%-48%).

hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oils

Avoid like the plague!

And can somebody even point out the dairy ingredient?! I don't see 'milk solids' or anything on there...I thought it had to have some dairy at least.

Many people are lactose intolerant. I would hate for them to have to do without a topping for their dessert. Glad there is something to suit each of us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom