"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is Cool Whip?

Hi, I'm new here, and hope you can help me out. I live in Australia, and often go online to search for recipes. Most recipes come from the States and I often see ingredients that aren't available here (half and half, bisquick), but the one I'd like help with is Cool Whip. It's an ingredient in ambrosia, which I've never had, and would love to make. I did a search and as far as I can tell, sweetened whipped cream sounds like the best substitute. Can anyone tell me whether that's right, or have other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, you'll like it here. We have several members from your area.

Cool Whip is a brand name for synthetic whipped cream.

Real whipped cream will work well in ambrosia but you should use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream rather than half & half ( a mixture of milk and cream as the name implies). H&H doesn't have a high enough fat content to whip up well (18% vs 36%-40%).

If you like, check the baking aisle of your supermarket for products that can be added to whipped cream to keep it stable longer so it won't separate. I can't recall a brand name right now.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sweetened whipped cream should work just fine for your recipe. Welcome to DC, Steph!! If you can purchase Dream Whip that will work also.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
Master Chef

Like Andy M. said - Cool Whip is a synthetic substitute for whipped cream which has added stabilizers (in this case gums) to help it hold it's "whipped cream like" texture. It is made from:

Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

Actually, when you look at the ingredients, it's like corn syrup sweetened shortening!

You can also make your own "stabilized" whipped cream by adding 1 Teaspoon gelitin dissolved in 4 Tablespoons hot water (and allowed to cool) to 1 Cup of Whipping Cream, and use up to 1/4 cup powdered/confectioner's/10X sugar to sweeten it if you wish.

Natural whipped cream in ambroasia - about 24 hours. Stabilized whipped cream - maybe about 48 hours. Cool Whip ambrosia ... no more than 48 hours.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

I guess I'm a little strange, but I actually prefer the flavor Cool Whip to whipped cream. I guess it's because of all that sugar!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I'm fond of using cool whip in desserts.

Quote:

I guess I'm a little strange, but I actually prefer the flavor Cool Whip to whipped cream. I guess it's because of all that sugar!
Which one has all the sugar? I'm not OPPOSED to sugar, preferring it over artificial sweeteners, but I never thought of Cool Whip as having much. Whipping cream is more costly, requires the work of beating it and doesn't sit in the refrigerator freezer compartment in a plastic container just begging to be used a spoonful at a time.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
Master Chef

"One spoonfull at a time"...that's my problem! I love the stuff.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to mamabear Send a message via MSN to mamabear Send a message via Yahoo to mamabear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
"One spoonfull at a time"...that's my problem! I love the stuff.
oooo...ever eat it frozen???
Old 10-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear
oooo...ever eat it frozen???
Ohhh I LOVE it frozen!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
My Mother makes Banana Cream Cream Puffs as one of her signature desserts. You're having a party? My Mom will send a platter of these. She takes the time to make the choux batter and make the banana custard, but she ALWAYS uses Cool Whip to fold into the custard before she fills the Puffs. "Oh RJ, whipping all that cream takes too long."

Don't get me wrong, those Cream Puffs are hard to beat, but I think they would be OFF THE CHARTS with Creme Chantilly instead of Cool Whip.

(I am currently looking at my shipment of Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste right now. Mmmmmm.... Creme Chantilly might be on my menu tonight. Nothing else. Just a big bowl of sweetened vanilla whip cream. I've got a few spoons. Who's coming over?)

RJ