"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Dirty rice has a far more worrying connection....

Arsenic in rice: how concerned should you be?

There are many info sources confirming this same finding.

I have stopped buying and eating rice now....no sacrifice, can't say I ever really enjoyed it anyway.
Well, there are a whole lot of foods and chemicals in our food that were supposed to be bad for you, then turned out to be okay to eat and possibly even good for you, and vice versa. So, I'll continue to eat rice on occasion, just like I eat chocolate cake and ice cream on occasion. You're link wouldn't work for me, locked up my computer actually, but How Much Arsenic Is in Your Rice - Consumer Reports says it's safe for adults to have up to 4-1/2 servings per week. Since I don't eat anywhere near that and don't even have rice weekly, think I'm safe. I enjoy rice on occasion, especially dirty rice, mushroom risotto, chicken and yellow rice, and paella and intend to continue enjoying them.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Well, there are a whole lot of foods and chemicals in our food that were supposed to be bad for you, then turned out to be okay to eat and possibly even good for you, and vice versa. So, I'll continue to eat rice on occasion, just like I eat chocolate cake and ice cream on occasion. You're link wouldn't work for me, locked up my computer actually, but How Much Arsenic Is in Your Rice - Consumer Reports says it's safe for adults to have up to 4-1/2 servings per week. Since I don't eat anywhere near that and don't even have rice weekly, think I'm safe. I enjoy rice on occasion, especially dirty rice, mushroom risotto, chicken and yellow rice, and paella and intend to continue enjoying them.
Yes true...moderation is fine. However, since I don't really enjoy eating rice (pretty tasteless/bland without help) then it is no sacrifice for me to forego it.

What's wrong with chocolate cake then? Saturated fats? Hardly something eaten regularly I would have thought i.e. as rice may be.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes true...moderation is fine. However, since I don't really enjoy eating rice (pretty tasteless/bland without help) then it is no sacrifice for me to forego it.

What's wrong with chocolate cake then? Saturated fats? Hardly something eaten regularly I would have thought i.e. as rice may be.
Haven't you seen all the studies that say breathing is bad for you!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #24
Head Chef

The arsenic is found in California grown rice, if I remember correctly. Arkansas/Missouri rice doesn't have that problem.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
The arsenic is found in California grown rice, if I remember correctly. Arkansas/Missouri rice doesn't have that problem.
According to the Consumer Reports link I posted above, it's actually just the opposite.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Also it is high in brown rice which is the kind I favour and used to buy.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...rice/index.htm

Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Actually no, in Paul Prudhomme's recipe, you don't add the chicken livers until the very end. You stir the chicken livers in last, turn heat to very low, let cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. They aren't overcooked and don't have that sandy texture.
Hmm, I guess I never saw that particular recipe. I might give it a try.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Hmm, I guess I never saw that particular recipe. I might give it a try.
Here's his actual recipe Taxi. I've never made it but now I might also.

Chef Paul's Recipes - Chef Paul Prudhomme

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Here's his actual recipe Taxi. I've never made it but now I might also.

Chef Paul's Recipes - Chef Paul Prudhomme
That recipe is a bit different from the one in the fairly old book we have. He didn't have you "fry" the rice and gave the spices all separate instead of using his spice blend, which is why I didn't post that link. But, since Kayelle kindly did, I also looked to find the first version and here it is http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec...c16c-2009dec16 . I might try a combo of the 2 next time we make it and "fry" the rice and finish it up that way.

Be warned though, whichever version you use, you have to use a fairly heavy bottomed pan or the spice/vege mixture will stick badly and burn.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Sparrowgrass, I have read and admired your posts for years so please don't take offense. I thought mid-south rice, a mite south of you, was most affected because of chemicals used in cotton fields, and that California and Asian rice were not in danger, or at least, less so.
I claim no authority, just clearly remember hearing that on TV and radio.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rice