What IS Dirty Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I'm not picky about food but the very name of "dirty rice" is a huge turn off! It makes me feel more than a little queasy.

What is it? And why doesn't someone give it a more appetising name.

Last edited:
I'm not picky about food but the very name of "dirty rice" is a huge turn off! It makes me feel more than a little queasy.

What is it? And why doesn't someone give it a more appetising name.

Um... yeah. You mean kind of like "bubble and squeak" or "cock-a-leekie soup" sound appetizing? :rolleyes:

Toad-in-the-hole or Spotted Dick anyone?

I don't think you Brits don't have much room to complain in this department. :LOL:

Last edited:
The dirty rice we make leans to the Cajun side of LA cooking. Using chicken livers, ground pork, Cajun seasoning, the trinity, chicken or pork stock and long grain, white rice. It is a one pot dish in the fashion of jambalaya.:yum: Don't judge a dish by it's name!:rolleyes:

It does call for gizzards, but we don't like them.

Last edited:
I use Paul Prudhomme's recipe from his Louisana Kitchen cookbook. It calls for both gizzards and chicken liver along with ground pork. I love it. SO will eat it as long as I don't remind her what's in it.

I use Paul Prudhomme's recipe from his Louisana Kitchen cookbook. It calls for both gizzards and chicken liver along with ground pork. I love it. SO will eat it as long as I don't remind her what's in it.

You nailed it!;) We just don't do gizzards.:ermm:

I picked up the cookbook at a flea market for $3. I like it because the recipes list the individual herbs and spices rather than his 'Magic' spice blends.

Yep, I much prefer making the spice mixes ourselves. I just up the g. pork and chicken livers a bit and leave out the gizzards for the dirty rice, especially since we have to buy the livers (and the gizzards if we bought them) frozen where we live so would have to make like a double recipe to get proportions right.

We've also got some old Emeril's cookbooks that came out before his "Essence" spice mixes did. Mostly we use Rustic Rub and whatever his creole spice mix is named.

Just hearing steak and kidney pie makes my queasy personally. Guess it's all a matter of what you grow up and your perspective.

medtran, it's not necessarily what you "grow up with". As a kid I loved kidney stew and czarnina (duck's blood soup) but you could not pay me to eat either of those now.

BTW Craig, I don't like chicken liver. I'll trade any of my chicken liver for you gizzards. ;)

Not trying to sway you from you dislikes but I have to say the distinct flavors of the liver and gizzards pretty much disappear in the dirty rice. I know this because SO wouldn't eat it if she could taste the liver.

It's a lot of the texture thing with me too, Andy. Chicken liver seems "sandy" in my mouth. Not a fan of sand, unless I'm sitting on the beach.

The recipe I use calls for the two offending meats to be ground. The ground giblets are like ground beef and the liver just about liquifies. You actually see it as little dark specks in the rice, giving the dish its name.

As I don't do either livers or gizzards, I find Zatarain's Low Sodium Dirty Rice mix to be a worthy substitute, made with a bit of burger and some doctoring up.

It's a lot of the texture thing with me too, Andy. Chicken liver seems "sandy" in my mouth. Not a fan of sand, unless I'm sitting on the beach.
I know exactly what you're talking about. That happens if the liver is the least, teensiest bit overcooked. It's hard to cook chicken liver just right. I have never even considered making dirty rice, because the chicken liver has to be overcooked. IMHO, it also adversely affects the flavour to overcook any liver. I may give dirty rice a try with giblets and leave out the liver.

I know exactly what you're talking about. That happens if the liver is the least, teensiest bit overcooked. It's hard to cook chicken liver just right. I have never even considered making dirty rice, because the chicken liver has to be overcooked. IMHO, it also adversely affects the flavour to overcook any liver. I may give dirty rice a try with giblets and leave out the liver.

Actually no, in Paul Prudhomme's recipe, you don't add the chicken livers until the very end. You stir the chicken livers in last, turn heat to very low, let cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. They aren't overcooked and don't have that sandy texture.

Back
Top Bottom