What is exploded garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crockalley

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe that calls for sauteing a clove of garlic until it explodes. Now my house is full of smoke from burned garlic. I wasn't waiting for the garlic to literally explode, but I was expecting some form of blossoming. Obviously not.

Thanks for any help with this! :wacko:

Never heard of it before now, but according to one site I found via Google, "Exploded garlic is used in many of Tusca's dishes [note -- Tusca is a Mediterranean restaurant in Pittsburgh]. The technique involves sauteing garlic until lightly browned. Then it's flashed in cold white wine, making it almost explode. The method removes the garlicky bitterness, leaving a pure, smooth garlic flavor."

Thanks for the reply. I found that same website, but my recipe doesn't call for any of that wine business. I have reason to doubt the aptitude of the author of this recipe I have.

Crockalley, it would help to tell us the recipe or instructions alittle further.

Oh, and WELCOME
newbie.gif
!

The recipe, sic:

1 package Curried Lentil Soup Mix
2 onions, chopped
2 fresh tomatoes or 1 C canned tomatoes
1 T vegerable oil
1 bat leaf
1 clove of garlic
1 t salt
spice packet (included)

"In a blender puree the tomatoes and onions. In a medium saucepan sauté the clove and bay leaf in oil until the clove explodes and the bay leaf browns. Remove clove and bay leaf from oil and discard. Add the puree mix, spice packet and salt to oil. Sauté briefly, cover with water and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes. Add lentils and 3 cups of water. Cook on medium-low heat until a thick consistency is reached, approximately 30 minutes."

Thanks for posting back, but even after reading what you posted....I have no idea.
When I use whole cloves to remove them after they've golden browned, I take the knife and flatten (smash) the clove with the flat part of the knife. It inparts more flavor, but still keeps it easy to remove.

I hope someone else will come along and answer "exploding".

I found several links on the subject. One said it was browned in olive oil then splashed with wine to exploded it. The other two just said it was fried (not browned) in olive oil until it exploded. This left it with the texture of a potato and a much milder smoother garlic flavor. In those cases, the people were actually eating them that way, not mixing them into anything.
So maybe the trick is not to saute them but to fry them in deeper oil. It also said a whole clove and did not mention peeling it or anything.
Interesting stuff, where is IronChef?? Betcha he knows!

Never heard of exploding garlic, but I did have a baked potato explode in my oven this weekend. Did not put the holes in it, after I thought about it, I did not think it was necessary. WRONG! This has never happened before. Not as bad as an exploding scramled egg in the microware, but close.

So maybe the trick is not to saute them but to fry them in deeper oil. It also said a whole clove and did not mention peeling it or anything.
Interesting stuff, where is IronChef?? Betcha he knows!

This sounds more like the "angry garlic" I was introduced to by the chef catering my nephews wedding reception in Mendocino CA last september, and no one here had heard of angry garlic either:LOL:. The angry garlic was used as an ingredient in another dish.

Back
Top Bottom