"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Question What is going on?

It seems that a lot of European companies are finding horse meat ground into premade meatballs. Ikea has found some and are only stopping them from being sold in their Sweden stores. I wans't even aware that Ikea sold food.

Most of the Balkan countries have been testing their meat and sure enough, there is horse meat. The problem seems to be based in that area. But the problem seems to be throughout all of Europe. Italy, France, Norway, etc.

You used to be able to buy horse meat in this country in the frozen food section. It was clearly labeled and folks bought it to feed to their dogs. A big seller to kennel businesses and greyhound racing folks. But I haven't seen it for quite a long time. I am not sure if the FDA stopped allowing it to be sold in this country.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Head Chef

Ikea sells food? Maybe in Europe, but not here, as far as I kknow.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Ikea sells food? Maybe in Europe, but not here, as far as I kknow.
Neither did I. But they stated that they would not stop selling their meatballs globally. Something for our international members to think about.

Horse meat found in Ikea's Swedish meatballs | World News | Comcast

Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

It has been a while since I have been to one, but the Ikea here had a cafe/restaurant in the store where you could get something to eat. One of the menu items was, strangely enough, Swedish Meatballs.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a large IKEA store in Ottawa. It has a small food section. I have always bought Swedish anchovies (spratts) there, as well as Cloudberry vinegar (Hjortronvinaeger), Cloudberry sauce, Elderberry concentrate, and lingonberry concentrate. They used to carry a lingonberry-chilpolte salsa that I absolutely loved. Hence the reason I started making cranberry salsa (when IKEA stopped carrying this). Oh, and Anna's Gingersnaps.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Here in Canada at least, IKEA has been known for their Swedish meatballs. Their cafeterias have them on the menus...at one time I think that was their only entree but now they have salmon and many others. Not great quality but reasonable and something is always on special. I think you can even buy the meatballs frozen, but I am not positive on that one. They serve them with a lingonberry sauce which is delicious!

IKEA Food | Restaurant - IKEA

As for the horse meat, that is awful.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Here in Canada at least, IKEA has been known for their Swedish meatballs. Their cafeterias have them on the menus...at one time I think that was their only entree but now they have salmon and many others. Not great quality but reasonable and something is always on special. I think you can even buy the meatballs frozen, but I am not positive on that one. They serve them with a lingonberry sauce which is delicious!

IKEA Food | Restaurant - IKEA

As for the horse meat, that is awful.
Does this article make you think twice about buying them?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, the IKEA here does carry the frozen meatballs. I have never bought them because I make them using my grandma's recipe.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Head Chef

Yes Ikea sells food, I love a trip to the food shop . Plus they have a restaurant which of course sells the meatballs and you can buy them frozen .

The horsemeat scandal is all over the place here. Of course, horse meat isn't harmful they eat it in France but its the issue of it not being declared and being sold as pork or beef which is worrying.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Head Chef

You can buy the sauce. The meagtballs themselves seem to have gone missing.

Google Translate Ikea Grocery page

I recall in the 50's being able to buy horse meat in pet stores. We bought horse joints to use a crab bait. But Congress effectively ended horse meat slaughter in the U.S. by refusing to pay for horse meat inspectors.

I'm less bothered about a bit of horsey in my burger than I am about what someone who's willing to add some horse would do with rotten beef and whatever else they should be throwing out. Which is why I mostly say neigh to ground meats.