"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

My sister has never been strong in the area of fractions so to be on the safe side she just makes two recipes in seperate containers and then combines them. I on the other hand check the table in the cookbook whenever I am in doubt. I've seen some people just draw a picture of a circle or rectangle etc.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
It is so hard to go from US measurements to metric...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
You must be kidding me, right?
I'd be willing to bet that Charlie and expatgirl are in complete agreement but looking from opposite ends of question.

That electronic scale is very helpful when halving fractions such as 3/4's. My measuring cup set didn't come with a 3/8's cup. It's also pretty handy for fractions of an egg. I assume 1/2 an egg = 23 grams.

If you cook for one or two as I most often do, scaling back recipes is a pretty common task.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #13
Cook

I wondered how long it would take for the metric enthusiasts to jump on this one :-)

CharlieD -- I agree that it's best not to think about conversions, but to get comfortable with different units. After years of working on old British motorcycles I have no trouble thinking 3/8" when I picked up the Whitworth wrench that is just under 5/8" across the flats. As for the 7/64 vs. 3/32 issue, the lowest common denominator is 64, isn't it? And 7/64 is clearly bigger than 6/64, isn't it?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
That electronic scale is very helpful when halving fractions such as 3/4's. My measuring cup set didn't come with a 3/8's cup.
Do you mean that you measure 3/4 cup, then weigh it, then put half of it, by weight, back in the original container? I use the 1/2 cup measure, don't fill it quite to the top, and get on with cooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
If you cook for one or two as I most often do, scaling back recipes is a pretty common task.
I do it all the time and almost always use quick approximations like the above. Even baking recipes don't have to be followed that precisely.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce
Do you mean that you measure 3/4 cup, then weigh it, then put half of it, by weight, back in the original container? I use the 1/2 cup measure, don't fill it quite to the top, and get on with cooking.
No sir, I meant that metric measurements are much more accurately scaled as CharlieD stated and that an electronic scale can be helpful device in the process, as suggested by expatgirl, and there are very well documented conversions for various flours, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce regarding scaling back recipes
I do it all the time and almost always use quick approximations like the above. Even baking recipes don't have to be followed that precisely.
Many bakers agree that weight is a better measurement than volume. It is also quicker in my opinion. That doesn't mean that the approximations won't work, but it clearly is not the only way and certainly is not the most precise.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm a little amazed at the response to Barb's question. Very simply...she's begun with "2" thirds. That means there are two of them. If she wants only half of them, she'll need only "1" third.

However, I must agree with those who've discussed "scale" measuring. I've been cooking using an electronic scale for quite a few years and love it. It not only is an accurate way of portioning ingredients, it also is an efficient way as far as clean-up is concerned. I've made any number of things and have dirtied up very few spoons, cups and bowls because I've zeroed the scale before each ingredient was measured.

P.S. As for the "half" part of Barb's question, I've tutored math and her question just caught my interest from a number person's point of view. Seemed elementary to me.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce
... As for the 7/64 vs. 3/32 issue, the lowest common denominator is 64, isn't it? And 7/64 is clearly bigger than 6/64, isn't it?

Yes it is , but you, or fine I, would have to think about the fact that 3/32 is in fact 6/64'. And I doubt there is anybody who needs to think what is biger 2 or 3.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

Another example. I was multiplying a recipe. I need 10 table spoons of flour. I looked it in the table I have. Guess what, they had 8 or 12 but not 10. One was 1/2 of the cuo, one was 3/4 of the cup go figure what was the one I need.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
See all this ^^^^^^

NOW ya know why I hate/loathe maths as much as I do :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

how many times can can you take away 1/2 of the contents of a cup before it is empty?

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote