"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
bethzaring, my post was meant as a joke!

Well I enjoy getting sidetracted with mathmatics. My mathmatics were not too high . I've been looking for nuggets of wisdom in each post.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I'm a little amazed at the response to Barb's question. Very simply...she's begun with "2" thirds. That means there are two of them. If she wants only half of them, she'll need only "1" third.

However, I must agree with those who've discussed "scale" measuring. I've been cooking using an electronic scale for quite a few years and love it. It not only is an accurate way of portioning ingredients, it also is an efficient way as far as clean-up is concerned. I've made any number of things and have dirtied up very few spoons, cups and bowls because I've zeroed the scale before each ingredient was measured.

P.S. As for the "half" part of Barb's question, I've tutored math and her question just caught my interest from a number person's point of view. Seemed elementary to me.
Must defend my (elementary question) the reason asked, when looking at the measuring cup - 1/3 did not look like half, looked a lot less! Period

Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

If you break the cup measure down to tablespoons, you have 16. If you divide 16 by 3 to get a third of a cup, you get 5 1/3 tablespoons. You don't have to estimate a third of a tablespoon because that's a teaspoon.

...or you could use milliliters.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Righto Andy! I did feel in my bones from the start that there should be a simple answer to this problem. Now my hunch has been proven right. BTW, why don't we break down 2/3 cup into teaspoons right from the start so that we wouldn't have to face the vexing problem of how to estimate 1/3 tablespoons even for a moment?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #35
Head Chef

LOL Bucky, old philosophy question.

By only being able to go 1/2 of a measure one can obviously never get to the end.

But that defies reality.

Haven't thought about that in years.

As far as metric vs. English systems of measurements goes, we were both brought up with English but learned metric and now are equally facile in either. And can go from one to the other quite easily.

When I gain a few lbs I prefer to discuss my weight in stones, or in kilos, it makes me sound more svelte.

The hardest thing, even keeping within any system, is going between volume and weight.

Things get particularly confusing when speaking of weight in ounces vs volume ounces.

At least the metric system does not include that confusion.

But for most people going from English to metric is fairly simple.

And in ten minutes can get anyone facile with the metric system, at least enough to buy a hunk of meat or cheese. No one can really tell the difference between a quart and a liter (for day to day practical purposes). And a meter is about a yard.

Used to teach that stuff, and people become used to the system very rapidly.

Frankly think we would be better off with the metric system, but really do not care personally.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
When I gain a few lbs I prefer to discuss my weight in stones, or in kilos, it makes me sound more svelte.
auntdot, that must be the best recipe for instant slimming!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Righto Andy! I did feel in my bones from the start that there should be a simple answer to this problem. Now my hunch has been proven right. BTW, why don't we break down 2/3 cup into teaspoons right from the start so that we wouldn't have to face the vexing problem of how to estimate 1/3 tablespoons even for a moment?
Measuring out 16 teaspoons of a liquid is not preferrable to the "vexing problem of how to estimate 1/3 tablespoons even for a moment."
Old 01-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Measuring out 16 teaspoons of a liquid is not preferrable to the "vexing problem of how to estimate 1/3 tablespoons even for a moment."
Right again! I do concede that the convenience of measuring out 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon far outweighs the instinctive fear (at least for the less mathematically oriented of us) of having to estimate 1/3 of a tablespoon outright. By the way, if I had to halve 2 apples rather than 2/3 of anything, is there a suitable smaller unit that would let me carry out the halving calculation with the same ease and precision as halving 2/3 of a cup?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #39
Master Chef

Wow, what interesting discussions this thread has wrought!!!!! My biggest problem is that I've taken excellent nonmetric recipes to a metric posting and therefore available ingredients are in metric amounts. Butter is a perfect example. If I remember correctly the butter is in 500gm blocks and there is no hash marks to cut it down to size. Hence, the use of the electronic scale is essential for me. Even when I"ve eyeballed what I think is 1/2 cups (and I"ve been cooking for over 25 years) I'm amazed at how much I vary from what the electronic scale weighs. THis isn't a big problem for just general cooking but it may make a difference when it comes to baking. And sure enough when I pile 6 regular cukes on the electronic scale I'm usually looking at 1 kilo!