What is half of 2/3 cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Maybe Iam just old and stupid- want to half a recipe that calls for 2/3 cups oil ? Is it 1/3 ?? Help ! :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Barb L. said:
Maybe Iam just old and stupid- want to half a recipe that calls for 2/3 cups oil ? Is it 1/3 ?? Help ! :wacko:

OK, I'll step out on a limb here - yes, it's 1/3 cup. If you were to double THAT amount it would give you 2/3 cup.

(sorry for it appearing that I edited your post - I hit Edit versus Quote - typed my answer - my answer was IN your post! lol I removed it and made a new post - hence my edit - sorry)

And also edited to say that when I typed this no one had responded yet - lol

Ok, thanks alot, lol - hubby and one son said no the other yes ! Maybe just strange family !! Love you all !! Know I got you all to chuckle over this one!!

Last edited:
:mad: ........... grrrrrr, which brings me to my bigest problem. Time to switch to metrick. I hate all this 2/3, 5/16, etc. Drives me crazy. I have couple of boxes of drills. The number and the letters ones are all organised in order, but the fractions, are just seating in the pile, as i have no clue which one is biger or smaller...... :mad:

Charlie D, That is easy....get yourself a drill gage. My husband has an extra one..if you would like it. It has all different size circles and the size is marked next to them.
Are you joking?

Barb, get some measuring cups that are divided into cups.

If your dividing measurements you just take 3/3=1 in other words 1/3 + 1/3+1/3 = 1

Same as if you took 1/4 cup you would just take 4/4= 1 1/4+ 1/4+ 1/4 =1/4

that last = sign should have been a + sign. Sorry to mess it up, But you get the idea of equal parts.

Last edited:
It is so hard to go from US measurements to metric-------but an electronic scale that converts to either grams and ounces has been a godsend!!!! I'm even beginning to learn the conversions myself-----grams and all. 6 cucumbers is about the equivalent of one kilo or 2.2lbs. aghhhhhhhhhhhh!

expatgirl said:
It is so hard to go from US measurements to metric....

You must be kidding me, right?

Though I know what your problem is, you are trying to think how much one kilo in pounds or wise versa is. Don't do that. Same with distance, just except it as is. And then you'll be fine. Think of it as counting to 10, first grate problem right. If you know how to count to 10, you know how to use metric system. Everything is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Just try not to convert from one system to another.

As far as drills go, I am a machinist and have been working for 15 years with standard system, still don't know what is going on. Okay, I kind know, but if you wake me up in the middle of the night and ask which one is bigger 7/64 or 3/32 I would not know the answer. On the other hand if you wake up anybody and ask what's bigger 2.35 millimeters or 2.75 they will tell that it is obvious that 2.35 is smaller then 2.75.
I chose those numbers because they are very close, but I had to look them up.

My sister has never been strong in the area of fractions so to be on the safe side she just makes two recipes in seperate containers and then combines them. I on the other hand check the table in the cookbook whenever I am in doubt. I've seen some people just draw a picture of a circle or rectangle etc.

expatgirl said:
It is so hard to go from US measurements to metric...
CharlieD said:
You must be kidding me, right?
I'd be willing to bet that Charlie and expatgirl are in complete agreement but looking from opposite ends of question.

That electronic scale is very helpful when halving fractions such as 3/4's. My measuring cup set didn't come with a 3/8's cup. It's also pretty handy for fractions of an egg. I assume 1/2 an egg = 23 grams.

If you cook for one or two as I most often do, scaling back recipes is a pretty common task.

I wondered how long it would take for the metric enthusiasts to jump on this one :)

CharlieD -- I agree that it's best not to think about conversions, but to get comfortable with different units. After years of working on old British motorcycles I have no trouble thinking 3/8" when I picked up the Whitworth wrench that is just under 5/8" across the flats. As for the 7/64 vs. 3/32 issue, the lowest common denominator is 64, isn't it? And 7/64 is clearly bigger than 6/64, isn't it?

skilletlicker said:
That electronic scale is very helpful when halving fractions such as 3/4's. My measuring cup set didn't come with a 3/8's cup.
Do you mean that you measure 3/4 cup, then weigh it, then put half of it, by weight, back in the original container? I use the 1/2 cup measure, don't fill it quite to the top, and get on with cooking.
skilletlicker said:
If you cook for one or two as I most often do, scaling back recipes is a pretty common task.
I do it all the time and almost always use quick approximations like the above. Even baking recipes don't have to be followed that precisely.

Veloce said:
Do you mean that you measure 3/4 cup, then weigh it, then put half of it, by weight, back in the original container? I use the 1/2 cup measure, don't fill it quite to the top, and get on with cooking.
No sir, I meant that metric measurements are much more accurately scaled as CharlieD stated and that an electronic scale can be helpful device in the process, as suggested by expatgirl, and there are very well documented conversions for various flours, etc.

Veloce regarding scaling back recipes said:
I do it all the time and almost always use quick approximations like the above. Even baking recipes don't have to be followed that precisely.
Many bakers agree that weight is a better measurement than volume. It is also quicker in my opinion. That doesn't mean that the approximations won't work, but it clearly is not the only way and certainly is not the most precise.

I'm a little amazed at the response to Barb's question. Very simply...she's begun with "2" thirds. That means there are two of them. If she wants only half of them, she'll need only "1" third.

However, I must agree with those who've discussed "scale" measuring. I've been cooking using an electronic scale for quite a few years and love it. It not only is an accurate way of portioning ingredients, it also is an efficient way as far as clean-up is concerned. I've made any number of things and have dirtied up very few spoons, cups and bowls because I've zeroed the scale before each ingredient was measured.

P.S. As for the "half" part of Barb's question, I've tutored math and her question just caught my interest from a number person's point of view. Seemed elementary to me.

Veloce said:
... As for the 7/64 vs. 3/32 issue, the lowest common denominator is 64, isn't it? And 7/64 is clearly bigger than 6/64, isn't it?

Yes it is , but you, or fine I, would have to think about the fact that 3/32 is in fact 6/64'. And I doubt there is anybody who needs to think what is biger 2 or 3.

Another example. I was multiplying a recipe. I need 10 table spoons of flour. I looked it in the table I have. Guess what, they had 8 or 12 but not 10. One was 1/2 of the cuo, one was 3/4 of the cup go figure what was the one I need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom