"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Itís been a few decades since I have been able to find grouper. Had it once in a restaurant in Cincinnati, and then found it at the local Kroger supermarket in Michigan, of all places. It was a fairly thick piece, probably what is referred to as a loin, roughly the size of a pork tenderloin. The red snapper available here is from a much smaller fish, no bigger than 2 or 3 lbs. Youíre a lot closer to the Gulf, so availability would be different than here.

We get fish from all over the world, but Iíve never seen grouper in a fish market or on a menu here. Same for walleye Ė it doesnít seem to be available once you get away from the Great Lakes.
Grouper are caught on the east coast as well. I know blacks get as far north as Georgia and hogfish extend as far north as South Carolina as do the spiny lobster.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Nassau grouper were put on a no take list in the US back in the early '80's I believe and are still prohibited from harvest.
It's the predominant species of grouper found in the Bahamas - they're called Nassau grouper for a reason. They have both a size limit and limited season.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It's the predominant species of grouper found in the Bahamas - they're called Nassau grouper for a reason. They have both a size limit and limited season.
Don't know why that has any significance on them being a prohibited species in the US, but ok. The US was setting bag limits and seasons long before the Bahamians got smart and realized there is no such thing as a never ending supply. BTW, the Jamaicans destroyed their local fishery and were working 40 miles off their coast back in the late '80's.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For several months a year in Cozumel, it's illegal to take grouper, lobster, octopus, and conch. Gives them a chance to replenish. Of course, there's frozen, and probably some poaching going on.

We saw Goliath grouper while snorkeling in Key West. One had a spear stuck in its eye.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Don't know why that has any significance on them being a prohibited species in the US, but ok. The US was setting bag limits and seasons long before the Bahamians got smart and realized there is no such thing as a never ending supply. BTW, the Jamaicans destroyed their local fishery and were working 40 miles off their coast back in the late '80's.
All I know is that there is rarely any shortage of grouper on the island we lived on. Maybe right at the end of the off season when the fish house freezer would get depleted. Same with crawfish (spiny lobster) - the closed season started April 1 and doesn't open again until August 1 - the suppliers freezers will usually run out in early to mid July.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When people describe a fish saying 'it doesn't taste fishy' like it's a good thing, I don't bother with it. I like swordfish, salmon, bluefish - fish that have bold/distinctive flavors. I gravitate more to shellfish. Shrimp is my favorite, followed by lobster and sea scallops.
I'm with you. Give me swordfish, steelhead, rainbow trout, brookies, basically any member of the salmonid family, except for the swordfish isn't in that family, but tastes similar.

I don't like the cod-liver-oil flavor that comes from improperly prepared fish. But the flavor of those fish I mentioned is what I crave when I want fish.

That's not to say that I don't like Boston Bluefish, or pollack, or cod. I just prefer the trout and salmon to the sweet fish.

I really like crab, shrimp, and shellfish. Not so crazy about lobster. I like it, but I like the others better. And I really like squid. Just sayin'.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I got curious about grouper and asked Mr. Google. Learned that there are quite a few species of grouper (nearly a dozen in the waters around Florida), some are protected (Nassau and goliath), and some are regularly caught (gag, red and black grouper). Some were overfished, but have rebounded since catch limits and seasons were put in place. Grouper sandwiches seem to be a popular item in Florida gulf restaurants. Interesting stuff. Still, I can't find any around here!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Julia one time showed off a full grown humongous groper. She was touting the goodness of this behemoth of a water creature. Just looking down the gullet of this fish, was enough for me. I will stick with my local fish.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
Head Chef

Here is another type of grouper from down under - Aussies call it a potato cod. My wife dove with them when she was in Australia 25 years ago (I think the dive site was called Cod Hole).

Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

That's quite a few fillets o' fish there!