"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What is my oven temperature mystery?

I have an instant read thermometer and an oven thermometer.

My oven is an old electric one but when I set it's temperature and check it with an oven thermometer it's very accurate!.

I tested my instant read thermometer by placing it into a bowl of bowling water and it read 101 C or 214 F

So what's the problem?

Almost every on-line recipe cooks much faster than the given times!

Much faster!

A one hour recipe often takes 35-40 minutes until the instant read thermometer displays the recommended temperature.

Internal Temperature Cooking Chart, Internal Fahrenheit and Celsius Meat Cooking Chart, Whats Cooking America

And that's a huge difference!

Would love to understand what's happening.

Thank you!

Michael

Old 03-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Cook

How much does cook time vary if the recipe says, 6 portions and you only cook two portions?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike View Post
How much does cook time vary if the recipe says, 6 portions and you only cook two portions?
It depends. For example in my gas oven a tray of 6, say, chicken portions spread out on a tray will take roughly the same time as two similar sized chicken portions but, obviously a joint of meat for 6 people will take a lot longer than a small piece of meat to serve 2.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

I think that it depends on how much of difference the 2 items make in comparison to the volume of your oven. A sheet pan with 2 chicken quarters will cook in the same time as a pan with 4, or maybe even 6. But if you fill 2 half sheet pans with 10 quarters each, put one on the top rack and one on the bottom rack, now you have made a significant difference in the total volume. It will take longer for the oven's heat source to heat that much volume of product to a proper temperature. The difference is not directly proportional either. It doesn't take 6 times as long to do 6 times as much.

The best method for accurately cooking most meats is with a good food thermometer. Know what internal temperature you need, then cook to that temperature. I wouldn't be without my Chef Alarm probe thermometer for doing any kind of roasted meat. I used it in the oven for our Christmas prime rib, and I used it the other day on my gas grill for smoking a pork shoulder roast. Stick the probe into the center of the thickest part of the cut, set the internal temperature you need, and it beeps with a loud alarm when it hits that point.

For everything else, I have my Thermapen instant read thermometer, another tool that I find indispensable.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

You need to adjust your instant read thermometer!

Tags
oven, temperature