"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-15-2005, 01:20 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Rocket is arugula. In French, Rocquette. It has a delicious spicy/nutty flavour. Rocket is a very apt name for it, because it takes off quickly from seed, grows very rapidly, and can bolt to seed before you have time to blink. Gives a boost to any green salad, too! Botanical name is Eruca sativa, or E. vesicaria. A must-have in any kitchen garden.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:49 AM   #12
Head Chef

Rocket/Arugula is my favorite salad green. The taste is nutty and peppery. The more mature leaves may taste a little bitter. Best to dress rocket in a sweet and tangy (say, balsamic with honey) vinaigrette to balance out the flavors. I usually add cubed sweet mango (or mandarins) and caramelized walnuts. I also add generous shavings of parmesan.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:23 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The larger leaves tend to have a woodier and more unpleasant peppery flavor, in comparison to the baby ones.
i couldn't disagree more, about the peppery flavor being unpleasant. i have grown it for several years now, and while the smaller leaves are more mild (as can be said for just about all greens), the pepper flavor of the larger ones goes nicely in many things like mixed salads and sandwiches. it can stand up to dressings, and adds a little spice and/or balance to otherwise bland or sweeter ingredients. as for the woodiness, well, that's often found in overgrown/over ripe veggies, or ones grown in strong, direct sun. lettuces are particularly prone to this. if grown and picked properly, the leaves may be as big as your hand and not be woody.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Thank you all for your replys!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i couldn't disagree more, about the peppery flavor being unpleasant. i have grown it for several years now, and while the smaller leaves are more mild (as can be said for just about all greens), the pepper flavor of the larger ones goes nicely in many things like mixed salads and sandwiches. it can stand up to dressings, and adds a little spice and/or balance to otherwise bland or sweeter ingredients. as for the woodiness, well, that's often found in overgrown/over ripe veggies, or ones grown in strong, direct sun. lettuces are particularly prone to this. if grown and picked properly, the leaves may be as big as your hand and not be woody.
For people who are not used to eating arugula or similar type greens, the mature leaves tend to be harder to take. For those who are used to eating it on a regular basis, of course it wouldn't affect them as much. Mish also isn't growing the arugula herself so she'd have no way of knowing if it was picked or grown properly. By purchasing younger arugula, she will however minimize her chances of getting any with a harsh flavor.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Take a double hand full of Arugula in your bowl, throw in a pinch of salt a couple tablespoons of EVO toss to coat, Squeeze a lemon over, with your potatoe peeler, shave some parmesan, toss serve. quick simple and wonderful.

I can find arugula in Trader Joe's here in Seattle and in some of the Eastern Cities I've visited when I cant find it in other stores. As BuckyTom mentioned it is dead easy to grow, we just cut it above the dirt and its back really quickly.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I miss going to the Farmers' Market. Haven't been to one in a long time. Great idea, as it's perfect weather to walk around for an afternoon and look at veggies for T-Day. There may be a few new ones near by.

Chopstix!!! Good to see you. The mango, parm, nut salad sounds excellent. Thank you.

When I looked at the pic of rocket and saw the word sativa, I didn't know whether to cook it or smoke it. j/k
Old 11-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting thread. I remember reading some version of the Rapunzel story to daughter years ago in which R.'s mother made the deal with the witch to give up her daughter because she (mom) had become addicted to the rocket in the witch's garden.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Interesting thread. I remember reading some version of the Rapunzel story to daughter years ago in which R.'s mother made the deal with the witch to give up her daughter because she (mom) had become addicted to the rocket in the witch's garden.
No wonder she never cut her hair. The girl just let herself go.

I think I found it.

Rockettes - Ready for Christmas
Old 11-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Now THAT"S a rocket I could get addicted to...