What is Rocket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I've seen this ingredient in recipes and not sure exactly what it is and if it is available in the U.S.

I looked it up, and all I found was Arugala. Has anyone tried it, what does it taste like, how is it prepped? TIA

P.S. One recipe calls for "1 rocket"

It is also called "Rucola", or in Rome "Rughetta". They have sort of "spicy" flavour, sorta like cresson (but not exactly the same...) very nice addition to various kinds of salads.

rucola_vild_blade.jpg

And here is the description from the glossary in La Cucina Italiana website, which also contains some nice serving suggestions. (we tried the rughetta pesto once, pretty good, though the original genovese version with basil is better...)

http://www.cucinait.com/cucinait/WorldEdition/Glossary/Glossary_7181.htm</B>

Rocket/arugula

It's got a nice peppery flavor. A bit like watercress but less of a bite.

I use it mostly in salads, but have also made it into pesto, sauteed it and used it on pizza. In Italy they often top pizza with raw arugula, sort of like a salad on top of a pizza.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
Rocket/arugula

It's got a nice peppery flavor. A bit like watercress but less of a bite.

I use it mostly in salads, but have also made it into pesto, sauteed it and used it on pizza. In Italy they often top pizza with raw arugula, sort of like a salad on top of a pizza.

Thanks, jenny.

My search also came up arugala. Haven't seen it in the U.S., but never tried looking for it. A recipe from a chef says 1 rocket - a little misleading (to me). What would 1 rocket be? Looking at the pic, doesn't really make clear how to prep it...do you push the leaves off?

Actually, I'm not that fond of arugala. My choice from the descriptions here, might be basil, watercress or flat-leaf Italian parsley (which is a little strong for me, but okay in small doses). Still wondering if anyone in the US has seen it in the market under the name "rocket."

If it's anything like Cilantro - count me out. Restaurants in So. CA put Cilantro on everything.

Last edited:
They call it "rocket" in europe and "arugula" here, but it's the same thing.

"One rocket" would probably be one bunch of arugula.

Arugula doesn't really taste anything like flat leaf parsley or basil. I'd say it's more a cross between watercress and spinach.

If flat leaf parsely is strong for you, both watercress and arugula may be a little too peppery/strong tasting, though.

It is not marketed in the US as rocket the same way you won't find aubergines (sp?) here either. Those will be called eggplant instead.

Here in the UK it is often sold under its French name of roquette. Maybe it's called that in your neck of the woods?

I use it a lot in summer with lollo rosso as the main 'lettuce' ingredient of a salad, if I want a peppery note to the leaves.

mish said:
I've seen this ingredient in recipes and not sure exactly what it is and if it is available in the U.S.

I looked it up, and all I found was Arugala. Has anyone tried it, what does it taste like, how is it prepped? TIA

P.S. One recipe calls for "1 rocket"
Hi Mish, just saw your post..I think you might like arugala, I love it on a panini sandwich..I've used it with roast beef and jack or a swiss..I also use it with proscuitto and provolone or ham and swiss..It does have a peppery taste, but it's mild..It's also good with any lettuce that hasn't much flavor, it just perks up a salad of greens and pears and toasted walnuts...It somes in a tied bunch and most good markets will get it for you if it's not in stock. Hot or cold I really like it..It is similar to watercress, but not as pungent. Now that I've confused the heck out of you...:ROFLMAO: Think about giving it a try...
kadesma

mish said:
My search also came up arugala. Haven't seen it in the U.S., but never tried looking for it.

Mish, it should be readily available where you are in Cali. For the best quality, try going to one of the farmer's markets if you have one close by. Also, get baby arugula if available. The larger leaves tend to have a woodier and more unpleasant peppery flavor, in comparison to the baby ones.

Last edited:
Rocket is arugula. In French, Rocquette. It has a delicious spicy/nutty flavour. Rocket is a very apt name for it, because it takes off quickly from seed, grows very rapidly, and can bolt to seed before you have time to blink. Gives a boost to any green salad, too! Botanical name is Eruca sativa, or E. vesicaria. A must-have in any kitchen garden.

Rocket/Arugula is my favorite salad green. The taste is nutty and peppery. The more mature leaves may taste a little bitter. Best to dress rocket in a sweet and tangy (say, balsamic with honey) vinaigrette to balance out the flavors. I usually add cubed sweet mango (or mandarins) and caramelized walnuts. I also add generous shavings of parmesan.

ironchef said:
The larger leaves tend to have a woodier and more unpleasant peppery flavor, in comparison to the baby ones.

i couldn't disagree more, about the peppery flavor being unpleasant. i have grown it for several years now, and while the smaller leaves are more mild (as can be said for just about all greens), the pepper flavor of the larger ones goes nicely in many things like mixed salads and sandwiches. it can stand up to dressings, and adds a little spice and/or balance to otherwise bland or sweeter ingredients. as for the woodiness, well, that's often found in overgrown/over ripe veggies, or ones grown in strong, direct sun. lettuces are particularly prone to this. if grown and picked properly, the leaves may be as big as your hand and not be woody.

buckytom said:
i couldn't disagree more, about the peppery flavor being unpleasant. i have grown it for several years now, and while the smaller leaves are more mild (as can be said for just about all greens), the pepper flavor of the larger ones goes nicely in many things like mixed salads and sandwiches. it can stand up to dressings, and adds a little spice and/or balance to otherwise bland or sweeter ingredients. as for the woodiness, well, that's often found in overgrown/over ripe veggies, or ones grown in strong, direct sun. lettuces are particularly prone to this. if grown and picked properly, the leaves may be as big as your hand and not be woody.

For people who are not used to eating arugula or similar type greens, the mature leaves tend to be harder to take. For those who are used to eating it on a regular basis, of course it wouldn't affect them as much. Mish also isn't growing the arugula herself so she'd have no way of knowing if it was picked or grown properly. By purchasing younger arugula, she will however minimize her chances of getting any with a harsh flavor.

Last edited:
Take a double hand full of Arugula in your bowl, throw in a pinch of salt a couple tablespoons of EVO toss to coat, Squeeze a lemon over, with your potatoe peeler, shave some parmesan, toss serve. quick simple and wonderful.

I can find arugula in Trader Joe's here in Seattle and in some of the Eastern Cities I've visited when I cant find it in other stores. As BuckyTom mentioned it is dead easy to grow, we just cut it above the dirt and its back really quickly.

I miss going to the Farmers' Market. Haven't been to one in a long time. Great idea, as it's perfect weather to walk around for an afternoon and look at veggies for T-Day. There may be a few new ones near by.

Chopstix!!! Good to see you. The mango, parm, nut salad sounds excellent. Thank you.

When I looked at the pic of rocket and saw the word sativa, I didn't know whether to cook it or smoke it. j/k :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I remember reading some version of the Rapunzel story to daughter years ago in which R.'s mother made the deal with the witch to give up her daughter because she (mom) had become addicted to the rocket in the witch's garden.

mudbug said:
Interesting thread. I remember reading some version of the Rapunzel story to daughter years ago in which R.'s mother made the deal with the witch to give up her daughter because she (mom) had become addicted to the rocket in the witch's garden.

No wonder she never cut her hair. The girl just let herself go. :LOL:

I think I found it.

Rockettes_-_green.jpg
Rockettes - Ready for Christmas

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom