What is Taylor Ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
When I googled "Taylor's Ham", one of the options was a "Serious Eats" link. The subtitle in the article said "It's Spam for people who don't want to admit they like Spam". LOL!
Yes it would seem so! A google search revealed that the ingredients of spam and Taylor's Ham/pork roll are identical but for the latter also having spices and lactic acid. My mouth finds cooked spam, e.g. in fritters quite tasty but my brain would stop at the word 'processed' :wacko:

I think we are kind of train-wrecking the OP here.

My feelings are if the basic recipe is a good one (which I believe this is), but you don't like a certain element, just switch it out for something you do like. Since this a breakfast meal, some cubed ham might be nice!

:)

Criminy. Do any of you critics ever eat salami or kielbasa or bratwurst or chorizo or bangers? Spam and pork rolls aren't all that different :rolleyes:

It's chopped meat with added seasonings and preservatives. People have been using preservatives for millennia. I can't understand why preservatives are scary when their scientific names are used in a list of ingredients.

Last edited:
Moderation!
agree.gif

Criminy. Do any of you critics ever eat salami or kielbasa or bratwurst or chorizo or bangers? Spam and pork rolls aren't all that different :rolleyes:

It's chopped meat with added seasonings and preservatives. People have been using preservatives for millennia. I can't understand why preservatives are scary when their scientific names are used in a list of ingredients.
Preservatives is a general term.

I would have thought you would be familiar with sodium nitrates and nitrites though.....

Last edited:
OH MY!
I very first time my husband took me "Back East" and I had Taylor's Ham
I said, "MMM, it's like Spam" OH MY, wrong thing to say.
I brought some home and made a Sunday Brunch and invited my parents.
My Dad said, "MMM, it's like Spam". :LOL:
My husband was fit to be tied!

OH MY!
I very first time my husband took me "Back East" and I had Taylor's Ham
I said, "MMM, it's like Spam" OH MY, wrong thing to say.
I brought some home and made a Sunday Brunch and invited my parents.
My Dad said, "MMM, it's like Spam". :LOL:
My husband was fit to be tied!

Apparently in some rural areas of the great plains (and maybe elsewhere, but this is where I'm familiar with it), bologna (baloney) goes incognito too. My wife grew up calling it "minced ham" here in NE Colorado, as did her girlfriend from SW Iowa. The first time she said that she was going to get minced ham at the store, I thought she was talking about something like Underwood deviled ham. It was a surprise to me when she came home with plain old baloney. I gave her a look and said "Oh, you meant baloney!" She said (semi tongue in cheek) "No, minced ham."

Her father still calls it minced ham - for 92 years he always has and he isn't going to change now.

Shoot, we had a coupon for two cans of Spam and I was planning on trying a different flavor, but I wasn't feeling well so DH did the shopping and just got the original. Maybe next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom