What is your biggest frustration with cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
missing a phrase in a recipe sheet that would ultimately end up ruining the entire meal....

I'm not much of a baker, but one year decided to make an Easter braided bread. The recipe was from one of The Frugal Gourmet cookbooks, which I had (and still do) have good luck with, generally. Now, I'm repeating, I don't really bake. I got to some point in the recipe and it said, "now add the xxxxxx." I went back and re-read the ingredients list. My husband and I were working together, and we went back and forth and back and forth, and could not find that ingredient listed. When you're a beginner, baking is more science than art. We'd already gotten to that point, and called everyone we knew who might have baked that bread, and it turned out OK, but we never tried that one again!

After all the years of cooking, I get tired of coming up with menus and sometimes I just don't want to cook. But I don't want to eat out so much either. I suppose that is a good reason to have a freezer full of dishes that I make when I do have the urge to cook.

Getting good, competant help in the kitchen that actually care about why they are there & what they are doing.

For me it is food snobbery.

It drives me mad when someone says they enjoy something and someone feels the need to say how trashy it is, declare "yuck" or make faces to show disgust because it isn't the "finest of french food" or using expensive ingredients.

Oh, and I don't do cakes well. :mrgreen:

For me it is food snobbery.

It drives me mad when someone says they enjoy something and someone feels the need to say how trashy it is, declare "yuck" or make faces to show disgust because it isn't the "finest of french food" or using expensive ingredients.

Oh, and I don't do cakes well. :mrgreen:

I am 100% in agreement with you on this.

Currently my biggest frustration is wanting more counter space...

The lack of counterspace (and storage space) at the farm drives me crazy...as does the lack of a dishwasher. This kitchen was NOT designed by someone who liked to cook from scratch.

My biggest frustration is the space in my kitchen. I used to have a very big kitchen in my previous house with a big table on the side and a lot of shelves for storage and two wide bars for preparing or cutting food.

This is me too, so to help compensate I use more pre-made things like dressing, powders and sauces. Yes, sad but true. However you do become a little more creative in finding multiple uses for everyday items that may appear to be one dimensional.

Being married this coming June for 64 years, it just drives me crazy trying to think of what to make for dinner tonite and most nites.....I love to cook, but I'm tired of cooking....LOL....also my darling hubby asking every nite....."what's for chow"....ROFL

I have loved to cook my whole life, until recently. Now I have simply lost interest in cooking. I'm quite content to let my husband do the cooking or eat out. I actually feel sort of guilty about it.

I haven't lost interest in eating, though. Thing being, with diabetes and ulcers, my choices are limited.

Being married this coming June for 64 years, it just drives me crazy trying to think of what to make for dinner tonite and most nites.....I love to cook, but I'm tired of cooking....LOL....also my darling hubby asking every nite....."what's for chow"....ROFL

Congratulations on 64 years of marriage!! I don't know many that can say they are still married after 64 years. Good for you! I have been married 25 years. Please tell us your secret to success.

Mine is this board, there are so many brilliant recipes that I have to translate terms and weights from Americanised to English and metric,I mean you don't even drive on the correct side of the road. I thought Cilantro was Fidel's daughter and much to my frustration its Coriander , Pork Butt comes from the other end of the pigs and the only cup measure we have over here is for bra's;)

Mine is this board, there are so many brilliant recipes that I have to translate terms and weights from Americanised to English and metric,I mean you don't even drive on the correct side of the road. I thought Cilantro was Fidel's daughter and much to my frustration its Coriander , Pork Butt comes from the other end of the pigs and the only cup measure we have over here is for bra's;)

I understand your frustration. On this side of the Atlantic, 'mate' is a verb.

Ho Ho....if only my dear hubby would/could cook!.....he knows how to do eggs..... and, we do go out a couple of times per week to dinner. We have a restaurant right here in our condo bldg. and so, that makes it easy to just take the elevator down, to main floor and walk up a few steps to the restaurant.....LIFE is good!!!!!

Though we can argue about what side of the road to drive, I agree about metric, America is like the one of only two countries that is still using British standard. i thnk this was your way to pay back for lost war. America should ghave get rid off it at the same time it got rid off the king. ;)

Ella Mazal Tov is in order, many more happy, healthy years together.

Back
Top Bottom