"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #61
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Being married this coming June for 64 years, it just drives me crazy trying to think of what to make for dinner tonite and most nites.....I love to cook, but I'm tired of cooking....LOL....also my darling hubby asking every nite....."what's for chow"....ROFL
That is something that I often think about. I don't know how you ladies can do it. I cook generally for one or two, and the worst that can happen is that I have to send out for pizza. I cook for the love of cooking. The task of putting together 2 or so meals a day and trying to come up with something that will please, or at least not offend, 4 or more diverse tastes, seems impossible to me. And these days, most women do it after putting in 8 or so hours in their day job.

Those of you cooking for a family, you have my sympathy and my admiration.

That to me would be the ultimate in frustration
__________________

__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #62
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
That is something that I often think about. I don't know how you ladies can do it. I cook generally for one or two, and the worst that can happen is that I have to send out for pizza. I cook for the love of cooking. The task of putting together 2 or so meals a day and trying to come up with something that will please, or at least not offend, 4 or more diverse tastes, seems impossible to me. And these days, most women do it after putting in 8 or so hours in their day job.

Those of you cooking for a family, you have my sympathy and my admiration.

That to me would be the ultimate in frustration

It's easy to get into a dinner rut if you let yourself.

I try to plan meals for the coming week on Saturday morning. I include regular meals we haven't had recently and I try to slip in one or two new dishes each week, both for variety and my sanity. I have a ton of recipes I've copied and pasted over the years and I force myself to go through them and pick one or two.

Then I review the menu with SO who says OK or makes a face that lets me know she would rather not but doesn't want to say so. Then I go with an alternative I've already chosen.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #63
Sous Chef
 
ella/TO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Thank you Charlie D, a "shainim Danke"....we're trying hard to keep this wonderful marriage going..... my Yiddish isn't too good....lol
__________________
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #64
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,641
Too many cooking gadgets, and very little talent...:D
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #65
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
My biggest frustration with cooking is my family's preferences. I cooked all of my own baby food for DD and I cook from scratch most of the time. But my family prefers boxed canned carb filled garbage. It has caused many an arguement in our house. DH will eat almost anything put in front of him and go back for seconds and thirds and then tell me that he didn't like it. DD complains if anything akin to a veggie crosses her plate. And forget about any seasoning beyond salt. Well, I have settled the whole problem. Now I will no longer cook for my family. I am and have been for the last several weeks, cooking only for myself. Which I find very difficult to do but at least I am still getting some nutritious stuff (I'm working two jobs just now so am having to carry all of my food with me or get fast food but this is just a temporary time crunch.) So now I am having to learn to cook very small portions, not an easy thing to do. In the mean time my family is eating garbage. Today hubby cooked about two pounds of pasta and used about 3/4 lb of burger and a jar of home canned salsa to make what he calls goulash. No veggies beyond the sauce. This will last the two of them through two meals. And it's got very little nutrition in it. Just carbs, carbs, carbs. It kills me to see them eating like this on a regular basis. But I can no longer take the arguements and the complaints at being forced to eat real food. I give up. Thanks for letting me vent.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #66
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
My biggest frustration with cooking is my family's preferences. I cooked all of my own baby food for DD and I cook from scratch most of the time. But my family prefers boxed canned carb filled garbage. It has caused many an arguement in our house. DH will eat almost anything put in front of him and go back for seconds and thirds and then tell me that he didn't like it. DD complains if anything akin to a veggie crosses her plate. And forget about any seasoning beyond salt. Well, I have settled the whole problem. Now I will no longer cook for my family. I am and have been for the last several weeks, cooking only for myself. Which I find very difficult to do but at least I am still getting some nutritious stuff (I'm working two jobs just now so am having to carry all of my food with me or get fast food but this is just a temporary time crunch.) So now I am having to learn to cook very small portions, not an easy thing to do. In the mean time my family is eating garbage. Today hubby cooked about two pounds of pasta and used about 3/4 lb of burger and a jar of home canned salsa to make what he calls goulash. No veggies beyond the sauce. This will last the two of them through two meals. And it's got very little nutrition in it. Just carbs, carbs, carbs. It kills me to see them eating like this on a regular basis. But I can no longer take the arguements and the complaints at being forced to eat real food. I give up. Thanks for letting me vent.
That's the frustration that I could not deal with on a regular basis.
__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #67
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Being married this coming June for 64 years, it just drives me crazy trying to think of what to make for dinner tonite and most nites.....I love to cook, but I'm tired of cooking....LOL....also my darling hubby asking every nite....."what's for chow"....ROFL
64 yrs!!!!!!! darling you must have been married in the womb what date in June is your Anniversary?
Ps my Mum was 96yrs in March.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,773
wow, congrats and god bless to bolas's mom.

my mother will be 86 this year. when she was 84 she decided to start walking 5 miles a day to keep in shape.




we have no idea where she went...

bah dum dum crash



ella, my parents were married in '48. they live for each other. it's both beautiful and amazing at the same time. god bless you and your hubby.
__________________
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #69
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post




we have no idea where she went...

bah dum dum crash
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Too many cooking gadgets, and very little talent...:D
Well said
__________________

__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.