What is your biggest frustration with cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being married this coming June for 64 years, it just drives me crazy trying to think of what to make for dinner tonite and most nites.....I love to cook, but I'm tired of cooking....LOL....also my darling hubby asking every nite....."what's for chow"....ROFL
That is something that I often think about. I don't know how you ladies can do it. I cook generally for one or two, and the worst that can happen is that I have to send out for pizza. I cook for the love of cooking. The task of putting together 2 or so meals a day and trying to come up with something that will please, or at least not offend, 4 or more diverse tastes, seems impossible to me. And these days, most women do it after putting in 8 or so hours in their day job.

Those of you cooking for a family, you have my sympathy and my admiration.

That to me would be the ultimate in frustration

That is something that I often think about. I don't know how you ladies can do it. I cook generally for one or two, and the worst that can happen is that I have to send out for pizza. I cook for the love of cooking. The task of putting together 2 or so meals a day and trying to come up with something that will please, or at least not offend, 4 or more diverse tastes, seems impossible to me. And these days, most women do it after putting in 8 or so hours in their day job.

Those of you cooking for a family, you have my sympathy and my admiration.

That to me would be the ultimate in frustration

It's easy to get into a dinner rut if you let yourself.

I try to plan meals for the coming week on Saturday morning. I include regular meals we haven't had recently and I try to slip in one or two new dishes each week, both for variety and my sanity. I have a ton of recipes I've copied and pasted over the years and I force myself to go through them and pick one or two.

Then I review the menu with SO who says OK or makes a face that lets me know she would rather not but doesn't want to say so. Then I go with an alternative I've already chosen.

My biggest frustration with cooking is my family's preferences. I cooked all of my own baby food for DD and I cook from scratch most of the time. But my family prefers boxed canned carb filled garbage. It has caused many an arguement in our house. DH will eat almost anything put in front of him and go back for seconds and thirds and then tell me that he didn't like it. DD complains if anything akin to a veggie crosses her plate. And forget about any seasoning beyond salt. Well, I have settled the whole problem. Now I will no longer cook for my family. I am and have been for the last several weeks, cooking only for myself. Which I find very difficult to do but at least I am still getting some nutritious stuff (I'm working two jobs just now so am having to carry all of my food with me or get fast food but this is just a temporary time crunch.) So now I am having to learn to cook very small portions, not an easy thing to do. In the mean time my family is eating garbage. Today hubby cooked about two pounds of pasta and used about 3/4 lb of burger and a jar of home canned salsa to make what he calls goulash. No veggies beyond the sauce. This will last the two of them through two meals. And it's got very little nutrition in it. Just carbs, carbs, carbs. It kills me to see them eating like this on a regular basis. But I can no longer take the arguements and the complaints at being forced to eat real food. I give up. Thanks for letting me vent.

My biggest frustration with cooking is my family's preferences. I cooked all of my own baby food for DD and I cook from scratch most of the time. But my family prefers boxed canned carb filled garbage. It has caused many an arguement in our house. DH will eat almost anything put in front of him and go back for seconds and thirds and then tell me that he didn't like it. DD complains if anything akin to a veggie crosses her plate. And forget about any seasoning beyond salt. Well, I have settled the whole problem. Now I will no longer cook for my family. I am and have been for the last several weeks, cooking only for myself. Which I find very difficult to do but at least I am still getting some nutritious stuff (I'm working two jobs just now so am having to carry all of my food with me or get fast food but this is just a temporary time crunch.) So now I am having to learn to cook very small portions, not an easy thing to do. In the mean time my family is eating garbage. Today hubby cooked about two pounds of pasta and used about 3/4 lb of burger and a jar of home canned salsa to make what he calls goulash. No veggies beyond the sauce. This will last the two of them through two meals. And it's got very little nutrition in it. Just carbs, carbs, carbs. It kills me to see them eating like this on a regular basis. But I can no longer take the arguements and the complaints at being forced to eat real food. I give up. Thanks for letting me vent.
That's the frustration that I could not deal with on a regular basis.

Being married this coming June for 64 years, it just drives me crazy trying to think of what to make for dinner tonite and most nites.....I love to cook, but I'm tired of cooking....LOL....also my darling hubby asking every nite....."what's for chow"....ROFL
64 yrs!!!!!!! darling you must have been married in the womb:) what date in June is your Anniversary?
Ps my Mum was 96yrs in March.

wow, congrats and god bless to bolas's mom.

my mother will be 86 this year. when she was 84 she decided to start walking 5 miles a day to keep in shape.

we have no idea where she went...

bah dum dum crash

ella, my parents were married in '48. they live for each other. it's both beautiful and amazing at the same time. god bless you and your hubby.

Good for you standing up for what you believe in!

jerks my chain when a person cannot simply say, 'thanks' after you feed them, when your poured so much effort into that meal. tweaked it to thier liking & overlooked your own preferences. they leave the dishes, the cost of the food, the effort, & the time on you. those 'er people that i don't make food for again.

I can't make meatloaf. It's too bad because I love meatloaf.

When I flour, egg and bread, no matter how hard I try not to, I always flour, egg and bread my fingers.

That's all. The rest I like.

Mine is this board, there are so many brilliant recipes that I have to translate terms and weights from Americanised to English and metric,I mean you don't even drive on the correct side of the road. I thought Cilantro was Fidel's daughter and much to my frustration its Coriander , Pork Butt comes from the other end of the pigs and the only cup measure we have over here is for bra's;)

Ah, the advantages of living in Canada. All my liquid cup measures have cups and ounces on one side and millilitres and litres on the other. :LOL: My scales have grams and ounces too. My frustration is the rare European recipe that tells me grain or flour in decilitres :ermm:

And coriander is only cilantro when you are talking about the leaves. I still don't understand how the seeds can taste and smell so yummy and the leaves can so easily overwhelm with what I consider yuck.

...And coriander is only cilantro when you are talking about the leaves. I still don't understand how the seeds can taste and smell so yummy and the leaves can so easily overwhelm with what I consider yuck.

I recently read a Yahoo article about cilantro. It's one of those plants/flavors that you either really like or hate. For those who can't stand it, it tastes like sweaty gym socks. For those who like it, it tastes sweet and refreshing... there are very few or no in-betweens. I'm in the gym socks category.

I just found it interesting... and reaffirms my reason that my taste buds are not weird... no matter what everyone says about the rest of me! :LOL:

Last edited:
I recently read a Yahoo article about cilantro. It's one of those plants/flavors that you either really like or hate. For those who can't stand it, it tastes like sweaty gym socks. For those who like it, it tastes sweet and refreshing... there are no in-betweens. I'm in the gym socks category.

I just found it interesting... and reaffirms my reason that my taste buds are not weird.

No more weird than mine. I always thought cilantro tasted soapy.

Tastes perfumey to me.

I love cillantro, marinate chicken in fresh cillantro, lime juice & garlic. Oven roast it, put it on a sesoned grilled tortilla with pepperjack cheese, salsa & sour cream with lettuce & tomato..............It makes a great southwest wrap.

Hmmmm, I would say time is my biggest complaint. I lurve to cook, but between school and work, I find myself looking for hours in the day to make something from scratch. This pushes me into the semi-homemade realm some days, which works, but just isn't the same. Cooking is very zen to me, totally relaxing, baking included. I want to do more of it but just don't have the time! Kitchen space kind of blows too, but I have learned to adapt.....

I can't make meatloaf. It's too bad because I love meatloaf.

When I flour, egg and bread, no matter how hard I try not to, I always flour, egg and bread my fingers.

That's all. The rest I like.

There are quite a few meatloaf discussion and recipes on the site.

meatloaf - Google Search

Let's see if we can get you enjoying homemade meatloaf. :)

Back
Top Bottom