"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
My biggest frustration with cooking is my family's preferences. I cooked all of my own baby food for DD and I cook from scratch most of the time. But my family prefers boxed canned carb filled garbage. It has caused many an arguement in our house. DH will eat almost anything put in front of him and go back for seconds and thirds and then tell me that he didn't like it. DD complains if anything akin to a veggie crosses her plate. And forget about any seasoning beyond salt. Well, I have settled the whole problem. Now I will no longer cook for my family. I am and have been for the last several weeks, cooking only for myself. Which I find very difficult to do but at least I am still getting some nutritious stuff (I'm working two jobs just now so am having to carry all of my food with me or get fast food but this is just a temporary time crunch.) So now I am having to learn to cook very small portions, not an easy thing to do. In the mean time my family is eating garbage. Today hubby cooked about two pounds of pasta and used about 3/4 lb of burger and a jar of home canned salsa to make what he calls goulash. No veggies beyond the sauce. This will last the two of them through two meals. And it's got very little nutrition in it. Just carbs, carbs, carbs. It kills me to see them eating like this on a regular basis. But I can no longer take the arguements and the complaints at being forced to eat real food. I give up. Thanks for letting me vent.
Good for you standing up for what you believe in!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #72
Master Chef

jerks my chain when a person cannot simply say, 'thanks' after you feed them, when your poured so much effort into that meal. tweaked it to thier liking & overlooked your own preferences. they leave the dishes, the cost of the food, the effort, & the time on you. those 'er people that i don't make food for again.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #73
Senior Cook

I can't make meatloaf. It's too bad because I love meatloaf.

When I flour, egg and bread, no matter how hard I try not to, I always flour, egg and bread my fingers.

That's all. The rest I like.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Mine is this board, there are so many brilliant recipes that I have to translate terms and weights from Americanised to English and metric,I mean you don't even drive on the correct side of the road. I thought Cilantro was Fidel's daughter and much to my frustration its Coriander , Pork Butt comes from the other end of the pigs and the only cup measure we have over here is for bra's
Ah, the advantages of living in Canada. All my liquid cup measures have cups and ounces on one side and millilitres and litres on the other. My scales have grams and ounces too. My frustration is the rare European recipe that tells me grain or flour in decilitres

And coriander is only cilantro when you are talking about the leaves. I still don't understand how the seeds can taste and smell so yummy and the leaves can so easily overwhelm with what I consider yuck.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...And coriander is only cilantro when you are talking about the leaves. I still don't understand how the seeds can taste and smell so yummy and the leaves can so easily overwhelm with what I consider yuck.
I recently read a Yahoo article about cilantro. It's one of those plants/flavors that you either really like or hate. For those who can't stand it, it tastes like sweaty gym socks. For those who like it, it tastes sweet and refreshing... there are very few or no in-betweens. I'm in the gym socks category.

I just found it interesting... and reaffirms my reason that my taste buds are not weird... no matter what everyone says about the rest of me!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I recently read a Yahoo article about cilantro. It's one of those plants/flavors that you either really like or hate. For those who can't stand it, it tastes like sweaty gym socks. For those who like it, it tastes sweet and refreshing... there are no in-betweens. I'm in the gym socks category.

I just found it interesting... and reaffirms my reason that my taste buds are not weird.

No more weird than mine. I always thought cilantro tasted soapy.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No more weird than mine. I always thought cilantro tasted soapy.
Tastes perfumey to me.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Tastes perfumey to me.

I love cillantro, marinate chicken in fresh cillantro, lime juice & garlic. Oven roast it, put it on a sesoned grilled tortilla with pepperjack cheese, salsa & sour cream with lettuce & tomato..............It makes a great southwest wrap.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #79
Cook

Hmmmm, I would say time is my biggest complaint. I lurve to cook, but between school and work, I find myself looking for hours in the day to make something from scratch. This pushes me into the semi-homemade realm some days, which works, but just isn't the same. Cooking is very zen to me, totally relaxing, baking included. I want to do more of it but just don't have the time! Kitchen space kind of blows too, but I have learned to adapt.....
Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #80
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
I can't make meatloaf. It's too bad because I love meatloaf.

When I flour, egg and bread, no matter how hard I try not to, I always flour, egg and bread my fingers.

That's all. The rest I like.
There are quite a few meatloaf discussion and recipes on the site.

meatloaf - Google Search

Let's see if we can get you enjoying homemade meatloaf.

Tags
cooking