What is your biggest frustration with cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yonghoshin

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I've been cooking for several years now, and am just curious: what is YOUR biggest frustration with cooking?

Thanks,
Yongho

Welcome to DC.
I've been cooking so many years that nearly all of my early frustrations have been eliminated, with the exception of baking. I won't even try making bread. For one thing it doesn't interest me, and since I can buy good bread I don't need to. I bake very few sweets and it must be a simple recipe that's hard to screw up. ;) Baking just frustrates me in general. On the other hand, it's easy to avoid, and on the plus side I don't need the useless carbs/calories. I generally find "cooking" a pleasure, but can get frustrated with distractions, like hubby in the kitchen. :blink:

Last edited:
Haven't mastered the art of carmelizing onions! ;)

Currently my biggest frustration is wanting more counter space...

but when I arrive in New Albany IN and my new house, that will be eliminated. :)

Hi,
I've been cooking for several years now, and am just curious: what is YOUR biggest frustration with cooking?

Thanks,
Yongho

Hi Yongho. Welcome to DC. I too have no frustration with cooking. I don't do much baking because hubby is diabetic. You will find that those of us that have been cooking 30 years or more;). Let very little bother us ,

Josie

I gave up on baking after having only a 50% success rate on cookies. I just don't have the precision or patience. A bag of cookies can be $1 or $2 and last me a week or two when I have the urge, plus, no mess to clean up.

Space. My kitchen fairly small and cramped. I also find myself cutting corners to use less dishes since we don't have an electric dishwasher, which sometimes causes problems. If I cook big, I have to clean big. It's difficult to clean as I go as I'm usually battling a toddler in the process.

P.S.

What do you find frustrating, younghoshin? We love to help. :chef:

Thanks Kayelle!
I'm looking for ways to help people who already cook for themselves.
I've taught my friends how to cook and they love it so far!
I'm just curious about what kinds of cooking/food preparation troubles other people who cook very often have, so I can help them if needed.

I use to get angry enough to run in front of a bus when M-i-l came to visit. First off she would ask what I was going to make???? Then when I got things going she would take a spoon or fork and start tasting using the same fork or spoon YUK then she would change the settings often times burning the food. I loved her but she drove me batty. So I prefer ya stay out of my kitchen unless ya keep mouths closed and sit on your hands.
kades:LOL:

Just sitting here thinking about it, I don't really find anything frustrating about cooking. In fact, coming home and making a meal is probably the most relaxing and satisfying part of my day.

If I have come up with something, I would say that not always being able to find the proper ingredients can be a little frustrating. I like to experiment with exotic ethnic cuisines (exotic to me anyway) and not everything is readily available at the local Safeway or Albertsons - especially spices, many of which I have to order online.

Not enough counter space and not enough room for someone else to work in the kitchen at the same time.

At the moment: not being able to make "the claw" because of an injury to my left index finger, so I am only cutting things that are easily and safely cut with a paring knife.

I gave up on baking after having only a 50% success rate on cookies. I just don't have the precision or patience. A bag of cookies can be $1 or $2 and last me a week or two when I have the urge, plus, no mess to clean up.
You must not have ever tasted chocolate chip cookies made according to the original recipe, so hot out of the oven that they burn your tongue, so limp that you cannot pick them up, and so chocolatey that licking your fingers is a given.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Sir Loin, you read my mind. If I have any frustration in the kitchen, it is that there are so many delicious dishes I would like to make, but there is neither enough time to make them all, nor to eat them all!

sir read my mind as well. i have tons of recipes and am always printing out more or cutting out of the newspaper. ingredients are a problem as well.

My biggest frustration is tools that don't do their intended job. I've learned to pay whatever it takes to get one that does the best job. That is not always the most expensive.

Back
Top Bottom